SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon

gfhockey

He didn't bail on us... He won't come back to UND either. He left because the administration at the time wasn't willing to get behind a full-on move to Division One. They wanted to do it half-assed and that is what we got... Dale is a great guy and a true Fighting Sioux.

By administration, are you referring to the president or the a.d.? Because Dale left shortly after Buning was ousted. I think that's why some were pretty frustrated about the timing of his departure. By leaving when he did, it basically guaranteed Mussman was going to be his successor. It ended up being a bad deal for pretty much all involved. With that said, I have nothing but the utmost respect for him as a person and coach.

Given his age, Faison is clearly a short-timer at UND. I just hope Lennon doesn't rush into anything, assuming he has any interest whatsoever in getting into administration rather than coaching, as he would make an ideal UND a.d. IMO.

Edited by UND92,96

Some ugly questions not intended to slight anyone, but they should be asked:

- Is Dale qualified to be or interested in being an AD?

- Is there a role with the Alumni Association that he could fill? 

- Would Montana State take a look at a guy that (sorry to say it) hasn't gotten it done in the last five years at SIU? 

My opinion is that I'd be worried about USD looking at him, but USD has their former QB as the heir apparent. 

Lennin in bailed on us when we are d 1 transition

why would sale be a good ad? We need people with connections that will put us on the fore front of more conference shake ups

Why would he make a good a.d.? Because he's smart, people actually like him, and he would be able to raise serious money. We missed out when we passed on Rob Bollinger. Hopefully the same mistake isn't made again.

Is SIU still paying Dale next year? Have him help with the football team in some capacity and have him help the foundation on phase 2 of the HPC.

Heck throw his name in for UND president. I'd take a leader like Dale as UND prez.

If SIU still owes him money, I love the idea in your first sentence. 

Dale doesn't have the university "union card" (PhD). Without that, even if you're extremely qualified < cough - Ed Schafer - cough-cough > you are not qualified. 

Given his age, Faison is clearly a short-timer at UND. I just hope Lennon doesn't rush into anything, assuming he has any interest whatsoever in getting into administration rather than coaching, as he would make an ideal UND a.d. IMO.

That's what people said about Roger Thomas.

How was his scorecard? (not being facetious, I don't remember) and why did he leave the position?

Edited by Cratter

How was his scorecard? (not being facetious, I don't remember)

RT wasn't the best administrator, but I'd still take him in a heartbeat over Buning or Faison. Personally, I think Wanless was actually the best a.d. UND has had in the recent past.

Edited by UND92,96
  • Upvote 1

How was his scorecard? (not being facetious, I don't remember) and why did he leave the position?

I always thought Rog Thomas was a great coach but so so as an AD.   Didn't want to move up to D1, burned our bridges when it came to playing NDSU at the time.   Probably a few other things I've forgotten about.

• Upvote 1

I always thought Rog Thomas was a great coach but so so as an AD.   Didn't want to move up to D1, burned our bridges when it came to playing NDSU at the time.   Probably a few other things I've forgotten about.

Forgot about that. And might be the reason UND is was (is) so far behind others...Counter that with how Faison had the fore site when the B1G was created.

For all the flak Faison gets, I think he has done some things that other AD's might not have that will help benefit UND long after he's gone. 

He might not be good with the smaller day to day operations, but with basically creating the country's strongest collegiate hockey conference and helped build the IPF, and got UND into its destination Division I conference in the Big Sky. I think his legacy might not be too bad.

Bunning on the other hand....all he did was pushups.

Faison has probably been fine from a hockey perspective. But he's completely failed the men's basketball program, and played a big role in how far the football program fell by handing out ill-conceived contract extensions based upon very little success. Even though Bubba was a good hire, the process whereby he was hired was about as ugly as it possibly could have been.

• Upvote 4

Faison has probably been fine from a hockey perspective. But he's completely failed the men's basketball program, and played a big role in how far the football program fell by handing out ill-conceived contract extensions based upon very little success. Even though Bubba was a good hire, the process whereby he was hired was about as ugly as it possibly could have been.

Hindsight is 20/20. Didn't Faison have to use some law about posting internally so many days before it could be posted externally blah blah. Then they interviewed candidates which took time. Better to get things right the first time. Also sounds like Faison has to play within the Athletic Department rules, which has been clear "We don't have much money for coaches so we can only offer them extensions instead of raises (Mussman and Jones). Those things are the smaller day to day things I was talking about that history will easily forget about. "Took too long to fire Jones and Mussman and took to long to hire new coaches." Both of which I believe Faison didn't hire? But did actually fire before contracts were up?

Those are smaller blunders than saying we will stay d2 while our peers move up. Which we all know we will do eventually but we just wanna wait.

History remembers the bigger picture.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 2