SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon

gfhockey

I believe that I said it was out of touch for one of our Herald reporters to write an article that Montana State and South Dakota better have Dale on speed dial...call it pedistalizing or man crush but it was very off base and the reporter should have a better pulse on the subject then that.

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2016 at 10:45 AM, MoSiouxFan said:

What's the scholarship limit in D-III?  Or is it all academic-based and/or need-based?

On 1/7/2016 at 10:49 AM, Shawn-O said:

Zero scholarships in the traditional sense.  Money is packaged as financial aid and grants.  I think it's some of both (financial needs and academic).  I'll let someone else chime in that will know more.  

On 1/7/2016 at 10:52 AM, MoSiouxFan said:

Thanks.  I guess that makes the rebuild all the more challenging.

On 1/7/2016 at 10:59 AM, Siouxperman8 said:

My experience with D-III schools is that there is extra money for kids they really want.  They package it as financial aid but more of it seems to find its way to the top athletes.

At the D-III level it really varies from one school to the next. Some award aid only on academic merit, others only based on need. Some do both. Each school (or system, like the UW satellite schools in Wisconsin) has it's own philosophy and formula for calculating financial aid.

The rebuild for UW-EC wouldn't be any tougher for them due to the scholarship rules in D-III. They play in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference - and all of the teams are state schools in the University of Wisconsin system. As far as the money goes, it should be a level playing field. Wisconsin's an interesting place - one Big10 university, no D-II or FCS schools in the state. So if you want to play ball, and want to stay close to home and the Badgers show you no love - your options are the D-III public university system or one of the private schools in the state.

And yes, some D-III schools seem to play fast and loose with the NCAA rules and financial aid money. Some just have deep pockets and can afford to give more than others.

• 1 month later...