SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon

gfhockey

Since we're talking about ADs here now, thoughts on possibility of this guy coming home? 

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208166845 

the gobc made solid runs at him numerous times  he listened but wanted a few rotten apples out before he would entertain more  am thinking he may listen after January 

Since we're talking about ADs here now, thoughts on possibility of this guy coming home? 

• Upvote 1

Brian Faison has actually done an okay job, primarily via the hire of Bubba/increase of football coaching salary pool, funding HPC phase I (need phase II though), and securing Big Sky Conference and NCHC affiliation. 

With that said, UND needs more energy and vision out of the athletic director position. Faison is a bit too complacent for my liking. Jones for men's basketball should be gone by now, Mussman's dismissal shouldn't have taken so long, and HPC Phase II needs to get completed sooner rather than later, among other things. Someone like Purpur would bring tremendous energy, which is what UND athletics needs for leadership and fund raising. 

• Upvote 1

Purely as an administrator, faison has done quite well. Conference creation/affiliation was nicely done. He isn't personable enough to woo the masses when it comes to donations though. He can come across as arrogant when he doesn't realize he's talking to (or ignoring) long time donors. 

• Upvote 1

Faison has probably been fine from a hockey perspective. But he's completely failed the men's basketball program, and played a big role in how far the football program fell by handing out ill-conceived contract extensions based upon very little success. Even though Bubba was a good hire, the process whereby he was hired was about as ugly as it possibly could have been.

I never thought much of Faison hiring one of his buddies from his former job  for a volleyball coach.  He fielded a great volleyball team but getting a dui and losing his liscense and then continuing to drive the team around in the van without a liscense till he does a hit and run in Portland when he's badly hungover is a black mark on Faison.  Faison says he didn't know that coach didn't have a liscense as if some get to keep their liscense after  getting a deewee.  I developed some opinions about Faison over that deal.  I also wasn't impressed with the  Mussman tenure and have questions about Jones too.  Long post for me!

• Upvote 1

Brian Faison has actually done an okay job, primarily via the hire of Bubba/increase of football coaching salary pool, funding HPC phase I (need phase II though), and securing Big Sky Conference and NCHC affiliation. 

With that said, UND needs more energy and vision out of the athletic director position. Faison is a bit too complacent for my liking. Jones for men's basketball should be gone by now, Mussman's dismissal shouldn't have taken so long, and HPC Phase II needs to get completed sooner rather than later, among other things. Someone like Purpur would bring tremendous energy, which is what UND athletics needs for leadership and fund raising. 

Yes but he fits in quite well with the older generation, ie: big check writers. He'll stay as long as he wants to be there, especially with a new president coming on board next year. 

Lennon was 31-37 last 6 years with his guys...he did well with Jerry Kills guys first couple years...no way SD or Montana St hires a guy with that record that never won anything in the FCS...how would you sell that hire to your fan base?..they don't care what his D2 record was 10 years ago at UND.  

Lennon was 31-37 last 6 years with his guys...he did well with Jerry Kills guys first couple years...no way SD or Montana St hires a guy with that record that never won anything in the FCS...how would you sell that hire to your fan base?..they don't care what his D2 record was 10 years ago at UND.  

It seems bizarre that Kill was 49-25 as a dII head coach, whereas Lennon was 90-24, and yet somehow Kill had more success and made considerably more money than did Lennon at the division I levels. I don't think many would have predicted that 10-15 years ago. 

It seems bizarre that Kill was 49-25 as a dII head coach, whereas Lennon was 90-24, and yet somehow Kill had more success and made considerably more money than did Lennon at the division I levels. I don't think many would have predicted that 10-15 years ago. 

not sure what is so bizarre about that...maybe Kill is just a better coach and recruiter period.  Dale was coaching in his backyard at a time when a lot of the d2 powers were leaving for FCS.  He struggled for what ever reasons in his first job away from home.

not sure what is so bizarre about that...maybe Kill is just a better coach and recruiter period.  Dale was coaching in his backyard at a time when a lot of the d2 powers were leaving for FCS.  He struggled for what ever reasons in his first job away from home.

As I recall, Dale did pretty well against all those "powers" in division II. Last time I checked, UNC and the xDSU's were still around in 2001, and only UNC had left by 2003.

• Upvote 3

As I recall, Dale did pretty well against all those "powers" in division II. Last time I checked, UNC and the xDSU's were still around in 2001, and only UNC had left by 2003.

most of the NCC was intact but a lot of the former national powers were long gone...Montana, Montana State, Boise State, eastern Illinois, Texas State, Western Kentucky, Deleware, Jacksonville State, Youngstown State, Portland State, Lehigh, Central Michigan, New Hampshire, Northern Iowa, UNLV, Louisiana Tech, Grambling State, Western Illinois, Appalachian State, McNeese State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UMass, Northern Arizona, Akron, Nevada, Idaho, Idaho State.  We were very late to the FSC party.  Today's FCS is 1970's DII and don't let any Bison fan tell you different.

most of the NCC was intact but a lot of the former national powers were long gone...Montana, Montana State, Boise State, eastern Illinois, Texas State, Western Kentucky, Deleware, Jacksonville State, Youngstown State, Portland State, Lehigh, Central Michigan, New Hampshire, Northern Iowa, UNLV, Louisiana Tech, Grambling State, Western Illinois, Appalachian State, McNeese State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UMass, Northern Arizona, Akron, Nevada, Idaho, Idaho State.  We were very late to the FSC party.  Today's FCS is 1970's DII and don't let any Bison fan tell you different.

Oh cmon....the majority of those schools left in the mid-70s.

This point/argument is sterile and ridiculous. We don't play in the SEC and never will.  If that' a problem for you, then maybe stop following FCS football and cheer for Alabama or Minnesota or whatever.

Edited by UNDvince97-01

Oh cmon....the majority of those schools left in the mid-70s.

This point/argument is sterile and ridiculous. We don't play in the SEC and never will.  If that' a problem for you, then maybe stop following FCS football and cheer for Alabama or Minnesota or whatever.

huh?  Yes the majority of these teams did leave in 70's and 80's, hense my quote that said today's FSC is the 1970's DII.  I also said we were late to follow our peers to 1AA/FCS.  The teams we played in the 90's, 2000's are still DII, the teams we play now we're DII In the 70's.  Where did I want to say I wish we were in the SEC?  We are where we belong, back with our 'like' programs from the 70's.  Read the post before you post...

• Downvote 1

I'm saying all levels of football have changed over the last 4o years you refer to.  FCS is what it is now.  Its also the level UND plays at.

Why belittle that and what the cow college has done? We are trying to be the best we can at the level we play at. 

I just dont even understand why that even needs to be brought up.  Who cares.

I'm saying all levels of football have changed over the last 4o years you refer to.  FCS is what it is now.  Its also the level UND plays at.

Why belittle that and what the cow college has done? We are trying to be the best we can at the level we play at. 

I just dont even understand why that even needs to be brought up.  Who cares.

You are right, all levels have changed over the last 40 years and yet we are back to where it was in the 70's hense with a different name.  Today we call it FCS, in 1975 we called it DII.  I like where we were in 1975 and I liked the teams in our division then.  I also like where we are now and the teams in our division now.  I did not like the division we were in 15 years ago...most of those teams are still DII and some had just moved up from DIII...we were better then that and we proved it in the 60's/70's and are proving it now, back where we belong with our peers from the 70's.  Do I think it taints Dale's record because we were a big fish in a small pond when he was our coach in DII?  To a degree, yes.  Although it hadn't changed much in the NCC, most of our peers from the rest of DII had moved up to 1AA/FCS and we had some advantages being a big school in DII at that time.  

I have posted this before, but I believe that Faison offered extensions instead of raises to these two coaches to save money because Bunning had run the Athletics Office into the ground.  Plus, he had to address many big fires (debt, landing UND in Big Sky, creating NCHC) before tackling the football and basketball coaching situations.  Having those two coaches do "just well enough" probably perpetuated the situation, but it also possibly helped stabilize the rest of the athletic department in the process.  Now that the other issues have been resolved and the Bubba era has begun, I have faith that the next area of smoke to be addressed is coming from Jones' office.  Well, I hope that is where Faison is aiming the extinguisher next, anyway.  :)

If we assume that certain coaches have been kept around for purely financial reasons, wouldn't it have been even more cost-effective to simply wait until they were going into the final year of their contracts, and then maybe offer a one-year extension? I guess I've just never understood the rationale behind offering multi-year extensions for coaches no other schools are pursuing?

By administration, are you referring to the president or the a.d.? Because Dale left shortly after Buning was ousted. I think that's why some were pretty frustrated about the timing of his departure. By leaving when he did, it basically guaranteed Mussman was going to be his successor. It ended up being a bad deal for pretty much all involved. With that said, I have nothing but the utmost respect for him as a person and coach.

You correctly stated why I think Dale can go pack sand. He might be a UND guy at heart, and might be a nice guy (true from what I've seen and heard), but his personal actions set UND football back too many years for my liking - and he knew well what the results would be of those actions. That's not being a "UND guy" - that's being a "Dale Lennon guy".

We don't owe him a damned thing as far as I'm concerned. (yes - still a little pissed off - but that's on me)

AD? Please.  :silly:

• Upvote 3