SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Cal-Poly - Win and In???

siouxfan512

Here are some statistical rankings between UND and Cal-Poly (Not sure if the Big Sky website was already updated from this past weekend or not, but you get the idea). Ultimately, we have the Top Rushing Offense (Cal-Poly) against the Top Rushing Defense (UND). On the flip side, we also have an excellent run game, and Cal-Poly is middle of the pack for Run D. Neither team has much of a passing game (worst two in the big sky), though UND seems to have been a little more effective with the pass over the past two games. Maybe there will be a few opportunities for a deep ball to Clive this week. UND should definitely win the special teams battle this weekend, especially since we just played the best return team in the Big Sky, and we are now moving on to the worst.

Ultimately, I think this should be played a lot like our game against Wyoming. Wyoming was supposed to be a heavy run team, with two star RBs. UND was able to completely eliminate them (granted it will be different defending the triple option). This will probably be a quicker game, with so much running, but UND really needs to focus on ball security. They have done a nice job with that since the bye, and it needs to continue now.

Win and in? There is no guarantee, but I think we will be in good position. I think we are ahead of N. Arizona (if they lose). Hoping Portland St keeps rolling and knocks E Washington out. Wildcard game will be Mt State hosting Montana, Go Cats!

Scoring Offense:

UND (9th) – Though UND has had a huge uptick in the last two weeks

Cal-Poly (6th)

Scoring Defense:

UND (4th)

Cal-Poly (12th)

Total Defense

UND (3rd)

Cal-Poly (9th)

Rushing Offense

UND (3rd)

Cal Poly (1st)

Rushing Defense

UND (1st)

Cal-Poly (6th)

Pass Offense

UND (12th)

Cal-Poly (13th)

Pass Defense

UND (11th)

Cal-Poly (12th)

Kickoff Returns

North Dakota (4th)

Cal-Poly (13th)

Punt Return

North Dakota (7th)

Cal-Poly (13th)

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 1

Here are some statistical rankings between UND and Cal-Poly (Not sure if the Big Sky website was already updated from this past weekend or not, but you get the idea). Ultimately, we have the Top Rushing Offense (Cal-Poly) against the Top Rushing Defense (UND). On the flip side, we also have an excellent run game, and Cal-Poly is middle of the pack for Run D. Neither team has much of a passing game (worst two in the big sky), though UND seems to have been a little more effective with the pass over the past two games. Maybe there will be a few opportunities for a deep ball to Clive this week. UND should definitely win the special teams battle this weekend, especially since we just played the best return team in the Big Sky, and we are now moving on to the worst.

Ultimately, I think this should be played a lot like our game against Wyoming. Wyoming was supposed to be a heavy run team, with two star RBs. UND was able to completely eliminate them (granted it will be different defending the triple option). This will probably be a quicker game, with so much running, but UND really needs to focus on ball security. They have done a nice job with that since the bye, and it needs to continue now.

Win and in? There is no guarantee, but I think we will be in good position. I think we are ahead of N. Arizona (if they lose). Hoping Portland St keeps rolling and knocks E Washington out. Wildcard game will be Mt State hosting Montana, Go Cats!

Scoring Offense:

UND (9th) – Though UND has had a huge uptick in the last two weeks

Cal-Poly (6th)

Scoring Defense:

UND (4th)

Cal-Poly (12th)

Total Defense

UND (3rd)

Cal-Poly (9th)

Rushing Offense

UND (3rd)

Cal Poly (1st)

Rushing Defense

UND (1st)

Cal-Poly (6th)

Pass Offense

UND (12th)

Cal-Poly (13th)

Pass Defense

UND (11th)

Cal-Poly (12th)

Kickoff Returns

North Dakota (4th)

Cal-Poly (13th)

Punt Return

North Dakota (7th)

Cal-Poly (13th)

I am surprised to see anyone that has a better running game than UND.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if sarcastic? CP is triple option and leading the FCS in rushing.

I expect UND to give up more yards than normal, but I still think our defense will be able to limit them. Field position is going to be huge in this game, as Cal-Poly is not afraid to go for it on 4th. Fortunately, we have a punter who is capable of switching the field position quickly.

I expect UND to give up more yards than normal, but I still think our defense will be able to limit them. Field position is going to be huge in this game, as Cal-Poly is not afraid to go for it on 4th. Fortunately, we have a punter who is capable of switching the field position quickly.

I agree. Just surprised that he wasn't aware of what their offense was. That 4th down thing is going to be huge.

I saw Cal Poly beat the Griz in Missoula.  Solid FB team in all 3 phases.  They are fast on defense. Obviously they can run the ball.  I do like the match up for UND though. I'd take UND by 2 scores at home.........on the road it's a coin flip.

This is going to be a very tough game.  Cal Poly is a very good program, they are year in and year out.  We are 1-3 against them in the DI era and have lost the last 3 against them, twice at home including the one year when we had a semi decent team in 2011.  They have played a much more difficult schedule than we have.  We may have a great run defense, but I am sure that CP is going to get their yards.  We need to limit the big run plays, just like we need to limit big pass plays against pass happy teams.

Having said all that, outside of beating Montana in a non conference game, their other wins aren't real impressive.  They've beaten Sac, ISU, and Davis. 

Not to be repetitive, but this game is the now the most important one of the DI era, just like last week, and the week before.  Rise to the occasion...........

• Upvote 3

This is not meant as a knock on Cal Poly, but the reality is that UND probably couldn't ask for a much better matchup for a must-win road game. That's not to say it will be easy by any means, but at least if UND loses it's going to be because Cal Poly ran the ball effectively against the strength of the UND defense. I could deal with that much more easily than the Idaho St. or Weber St. or Montana games, where it felt like UND's injuries and lack of depth in the secondary made it ridiculously easy to throw the ball.

• Upvote 1

This is not meant as a knock on Cal Poly, but the reality is that UND probably couldn't ask for a much better matchup for a must-win road game. That's not to say it will be easy by any means, but at least if UND loses it's going to be because Cal Poly ran the ball effectively against the strength of the UND defense. I could deal with that much more easily than the Idaho St. or Weber St. or Montana games, where it felt like UND's injuries and lack of depth in the secondary made it ridiculously easy to throw the ball.

UND is also on a 2-game winning streak and the two much-needed players (Studsrud and Reyes) they didn't have against ISU and WSU are now back. One could even argue that the offensive line and defensive backs are playing far better than they were just 3 games ago. Clive Georges being healthy also adds an element that was missing against ISU and WSU. 

The Cal Poly game will not be easy, but UND has a legitimate shot at winning. 

I would say that the UND defense matches up a lot better with the Cal Poly offense than the Cal Poly defense matches up with a Studsrud-led UND offense. I also think turnovers will be key. Cal Poly puts it on the ground pretty frequently. If UND is even or positive in turnover margin, I think UND wins.