SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Cal-Poly - Win and In???

siouxfan512

UND opens as 13 underdog vs Poly.  64 point total.  Still no respect.  we need to earn this one.

Agree on the no respect comment. Home field nets that team -3. This basically says Poly would be a 10 point favorite on a neutral field and a TD favorite AT UND. 

Since they like to go on it on 4th down, if they get 3 ypc they can pile up a lot of yards.  We need to shut them down on first and second down.  Most teams in the Big Sky don't have good run defense so Poly offense works well for them.  Assignment sharp and fill the holes is the order for the day.

I see one of their workhorse running backs who's played in all 10 games so far almost came to UND this past fall. DJ Peluso (7.3 avg per carry, 1 TD and 29 long) had UND on his short list with Poly coming out of JUCO. 

Edited by Teeder11

Totally agree with that.  The clips you posted show some poor one on one tackling.  We need some hard hits like Reyes did sat and jar the ball loose.

Given the type of offense they run, I see Ratelle and Reyes having huge games. Ratelle needs to be big on 3rd downs. I still say the field position battle is going to be critical in this game because Cal-Poly is not afraid to go for it on 4th down. So we need to keep them out of 4 down territory as much as possible, and at least keep 4th down opportunities to long yardage. It would also help to shutdown a 4th down attempt or two and maybe make them re-think going for it the rest of the game.

I have a good feeling about this game. Unfortunately, I'm really nervous about what happens to us at 7-4. On paper we have a good win against Portland St and Wyoming, and we would be riding a 3 game win streak, but (as the spread for this game shows) we have no respect yet. It would be really helpful to have Montana, E Washington get knocked out, and if N. Arizona loses, then I believe we jump ahead of them. All we can control is winning, but it would be nice to get a little help too.

The biggest concern I see is the last start.  It will be close to bedtime.  I hope our players adjust to the late start and not be sluggish

They're college kids used to staying up late. The advantage is getting a west coast team to wake up at 5am pacific for a noon kickoff at the alerus. That makes opponents sluggish. Our boys will be so jacked about the opportunity that I think it will be more about keeping them from getting too excited.

They're college kids used to staying up late. The advantage is getting a west coast team to wake up at 5am pacific for a noon kickoff at the alerus. That makes opponents sluggish. Our boys will be so jacked about the opportunity that I think it will be more about keeping them from getting too excited.

I hope your right.  I know I'm jacked.  wow 2 years ago we were about to go on a journey to find a head coach.  Just think 2 years. what a turn around.