SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks: "We have a Native problem"

The Sicatoka

“The feathers and other parts of the red-tailed hawk are considered sacred to many American indigenous people and, like the feathers of the bald eagle and golden eagle, are sometimes used in religious ceremonies and found adorning the regalia of many Native Americans in the United States; these parts, most especially their distinctive tail feathers, are a popular item in the Native American community.”

Source: Collier, Julie (Spring 2003). "The Sacred Messengers". Cross Paths 6 (1). Mashantucket Pequot Museum. Archived from the original on 2007-06-22. Retrieved 20 June 2007

So, how do you do a hawk logo without introducing hawk “feathers and other parts” sacred to indigenous peoples? 

“The feathers and other parts of the red-tailed hawk are considered sacred to many American indigenous people and, like the feathers of the bald eagle and golden eagle, are sometimes used in religious ceremonies and found adorning the regalia of many Native Americans in the United States; these parts, most especially their distinctive tail feathers, are a popular item in the Native American community.”

Source: Collier, Julie (Spring 2003). "The Sacred Messengers". Cross Paths 6 (1). Mashantucket Pequot Museum. Archived from the original on 2007-06-22. Retrieved 20 June 2007

So, how do you do a hawk logo without introducing hawk “feathers and other parts” sacred to indigenous peoples? 

don't worry Sic.   Ref Anderson is going to draw up the design for the new logo.

Nice scare tactic by a mod that doesn't like the Fighting Hawks nickname.    Not going to work.

I agree.  As a Rough Rider voter, I think this is really reaching a bit.  As long as the logo isn't the infamous black hawk logo that's floating around, there will be no issues with UND being the Fighting...well at least the Hawks as we may have to lose the Fighting at some point.  E

• Upvote 4

Anyone really believe there will be real feathers on any FH logo that would be approved by Kelly?

I don't think Kelley will be around for the final logo selection.  I can't imagine feathers not being allowed on a hawk logo, but they'll need to be done in a way that appears relatively natural.  

I'm in agreement with the other posters regarding the name being a problem due to its spirituality in Native American culture.  Plenty of other animals that are viewed as spiritual are already used as mascots/logos.  There are already a lot of real problems with the Fighting Hawks nickname, kind of pointless to make up additional fake ones.  If the Fighting Hawk supporters didn't already get it, this won't change them.  I don't like the name, but it's time to start preparing for it, because it has a 98% (made up number, actual statistics may place it higher) chance of being the new nickname.

Exactly. That's why any Hawk logo would echo of the old UND geometric logo (angles, not feathers). 

But the geometric Sioux logo was eventually updated to a more natural life like logo that was approved by virtually everyone.  So while an initial logo may be generic and boring at first, there is always the potential to update it to something better.  

Nice scare tactic by a mod that doesn't like the Fighting Hawks nickname.    Not going to work.

He and a few others have done this since their choice was looking threatened, basically since the last five!!  Lmao, this is special...

Id like to see proof of the nakota nokota scare tactic also.

....and not quotes from this website.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I heard Stenehjem is already on the phone, talking to the two closest flocks of hawks....seeing when they can schedule a vote to hopefully get their approval.

hE would talk to magpies or seagulls & say ok & screw it up for fear it could damage his career & no one would care

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 1

He and a few others have done this since their choice was looking threatened, basically since the last five!!  Lmao, this is special...

since i said it i'll elaborate.  I cant paste the article on my phone but it was from the Herald. Basically the consultant and general council said it was "too close" (biggest bs ever... I really liked Nokota)

Its a dumb reason yes.  I agree.  I dont mean to come off with scare tactics.  Ill live with either name and im tired of the division in the fan base. We need to heal.

Good enough for you?
http://www.inforum.com/news/3763005-15-und-nickname-ideas-make-committees-cut

The committee chose to not consider any form of "Nokota" at O'Keefe's recommendation because of it's affiliation with a tribally bred horse.

No that's not good enough! Should of known my buddy jdub would chime in....Never new Okeef was a decision maker on what is acceptable or not according to the NCAA? Like I said a scare tactic and no proof of this being rejected from the NCAA! You know the people that actually enforce the rules? 

Coming from the same school that was told it couldn't use Nokota because it too much resembles Nakota?

Wimpy excuse... yes I agree, but its still can be implied as an issue... sadly.

No that's not good enough! Should of known my buddy jdub would chime in....Never new Okeef was a decision maker on what is acceptable or not according to the NCAA? Like I said a scare tactic and no proof of this being rejected from the NCAA! You know the people that actually enforce the rules? 

Who said it was the NCAA that said told UND to not use it because of the relation to NA?  Not the SWSiouxMN nor me. You asked for proof that UND was advised not to use Nokota, I provided what you asked for.  There was also discussion of its resemblance to the "Nakota" during the meeting but that portion didn't make the article. O'Keefe was hired to provide guidance, which includes steering away from nicknames that could be controversial. I don't agree with her stance on Nokota, but there is no arguing what it is or why she provided that guidance.

The NCAA's public input started and ended with them saying UND could very likely end up being sanctioned by not picking a new nickname, but even that was apparently not good enough for some people.

Having a nickname with an Indian name is one thing, having a nickname that is something that Indians knew about but isn't directly associated with them is quite another.  I'd say OP is trolling/exaggerating to make a point, but I can't quite figure out what that would be...

• Upvote 1