SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye Week

SWSiouxMN

With UND sitting behind 5 teams in the standing, there is plenty of football to follow on Saturday, with UND having the weekend off. These games could all factor into UND's playoff picture. Bottom line is that UND needs to take care of its own business, BUT since they can't do anything this weekend, here are some things to watch.

E Washington vs. N Arizona: As N.Arizona is 3-2 in the conference and 5-3 overall, it would really help UND to have them get another loss or two on their record. That starts this weekend as they travel to Cheney. E. Washington has had several close games (5pt win over Mt St, 8pt win over Sac State, 1pt win over Cal Poly, 2pt win over N Colorado, and 1 pt win over Weber St.) That being said, the eagles have not lost at home. Go Eagles!

Southern Utah @ Mt St: This could get interesting with the Bobcats out of the playoff picture. I'd imagine Prukop will want to bounce back, and while SUU has the leagues top Pass defense, they need to be able to containg Prukops run game. This could be another high scoring shootout. SUU has put up big points on everyone since losing to SDSU (and almost knocking off Utah St before that), but they finish the season with  Mt St, PSU, and NAU. Big weekend for them, because if they lose to the bobcats then their playoff picture gets a little fuzzier. Go Bobcats!

Portland St @ N Colorado: PSU should take care of business, and this is only interesting since we play a similar style to them, and we play N. Colorado next week. PSU will make the playoff, so we might as well see N Colorado get knocked around a bit before they come to GF. Go Vikings!

Montana @ Idaho St: Which Grizz team shows up? The one that smoked us, or the one that lost to Liberty? And Idaho St win would put Montana at 5 losses and out of the playoffs. Montana needs to run the table against Idaho St, E. Washington and Mt St. to make the playoffs. Go Bengals!

2 wins and they are in.  People need to understand this, and head to the Alerus center next saturday. Kill your deer this weekend, get it out of the way!   If you have been away, go back and watch this team.  If you have never been to a game, go and check it out!  

Athletic department:  you need to promote the hell out of the UNC game, get that excitement built up!  Do what you can.  Run ads this weekend at the Ralph, and next friday at the Ralph.  SHOW the Big Sky video of Santiago running wild, do something!  PLEASE.

I agree if UND wins out, they are in.  Lose and they are out.  Doesn't matter what anyone else does.

I agree if UND wins out, they are in.  Lose and they are out.  Doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Agreed. As I mentioned, that list is purely to give us something to pay attention to this weekend since UND is off.

While I also believe 2 wins will get us in, I don't think it is an automatic guarantee. There is always that possibility to be the team that is snubbed for another 7 win team. Ultimately, UND needs to win, but I would take a little help on the side to secure our position.

Agreed. As I mentioned, that list is purely to give us something to pay attention to this weekend since UND is off.

While I also believe 2 wins will get us in, I don't think it is an automatic guarantee. There is always that possibility to be the team that is snubbed for another 7 win team. Ultimately, UND needs to win, but I would take a little help on the side to secure our position.

If und makes the playoffs there's a slight possibility they could host a game.  Factor in regionalization and if  sd st doesn't receive a seed (assuming ndsu gets a seed),  the odds are, they will travel GF.  Apparently there will be work on the jackrabbits stadium at the conclusion of the regular season . They wont be able to host.   A lot can and will happen but how awesome would that be!!!

If und makes the playoffs there's a slight possibility they could host a game.  Factor in regionalization and if  sd st doesn't receive a seed (assuming ndsu gets a seed),  the odds are, they will travel GF.  Apparently there will be work on the jackrabbits stadium at the conclusion of the regular season . They wont be able to host.   A lot can and will happen but how awesome would that be!!!

if SDSU does bid, it would be in Sioux Falls. 

Hate to say it but this could be the exact reason why you don't want to tweak the NCAA's nose (see nickname issue) First we take care of business and win two, when we do we will be a bubble team. Bubble teams that tweak the NCAAs nose don't get chosen. 

• Upvote 1

Like the chances of hosting if we get to that point. 

This quote was in the Heralds weekly chat:

If (big if) UND wins out and makes the playoffs, which causes the bigger uproar: Faison not putting in a bid big enough to get a first round game or Faison putting a big enough bid in and no one shows up because of short notice and Thanksgiving weekend, causing UND to lose money in the process?

I think its dumb they have a bidding process to see who hosts games. Give the higher seed the home game. They earned the right.

I believe they seed only the top 8 teams who get byes past the first round.  The first round games are paired on a regional basis to reduce travel costs and that is where the bidding comes in. 

I could be wrong, but I think they used to do this in DII as well, which is why UND almost always hosted a first round game because nobody could compete with our bids.

IF we do make the playoffs, and IF we do win the bid, I'd expect a poor crowd on Thanksgiving weekend.  That may influence the dollar figure that Faison throws out to the NCAA if it comes to that.  1st round FCS playoff games are generally attended poorly.  In fact, most FCS playoff games are attended poorly.  IF we were to make it and host a first round game, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the lowest attended game of the year.

Edited by bincitysioux

Never heard that.  What stadium would it be held at and what's the capacity?  Could be a hard bid for sd st potentially, depending on a few of those elements.  

Howard Wood Field has been updated in recent years, but typically only host high school games and Track & Field. I know USF plays on campus, and I believe Augustana has a on campus field or shares USF's so I don't think any college teams play here consistently. I do know NDSU played USD or SDSU here a few years ago and it was sold out weeks in advance.

Howard Wood Field has been updated in recent years, but typically only host high school games and Track & Field. I know USF plays on campus, and I believe Augustana has a on campus field or shares USF's so I don't think any college teams play here consistently. I do know NDSU played USD or SDSU here a few years ago and it was sold out weeks in advance.

Augustana used Howard Wood until 2008. They got a donation of $6 million that helped them build an open-air stadium on campus that seats 6,500.

I believe they seed only the top 8 teams who get byes past the first round.  The first round games are paired on a regional basis to reduce travel costs and that is where the bidding comes in. 

I could be wrong, but I think they used to do this in DII as well, which is why UND almost always hosted a first round game because nobody could compete with our bids.

IF we do make the playoffs, and IF we do win the bid, I'd expect a poor crowd on Thanksgiving weekend.  That may influence the dollar figure that Faison throws out to the NCAA if it comes to that.  1st round FCS playoff games are generally attended poorly.  In fact, most FCS playoff games are attended poorly.  IF we were to make it and host a first round game, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the lowest attended game of the year.

I was at the quarterfinal game vs. Pittsburg State in 2001 and that was over Thanksgiving weekend and the attendance wasn't all that bad. Just get 6 to 7,000 people in there for a game that matters and it will be loud.

Interesting read at:

http://www.hcpress.com/sports/the-best-record-doesnt-always-mean-home-field-stadium-quality-money-play-role-in-fcs-site-selection.html

(1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

Crazy there's a small chance UND might be hosting a playoff game! (I knocked on wood)

Edited by Cratter

Interesting read at:

http://www.hcpress.com/sports/the-best-record-doesnt-always-mean-home-field-stadium-quality-money-play-role-in-fcs-site-selection.html

Crazy there's a small chance UND might be hosting a playoff game! (I knocked on wood)

I hate to get ahead of ourselves here, but that article also said:

(a) Quality and availability of the facility and other necessary accommodations;
(b) Revenue potential 
(c) Attendance history and potential;
(d) Geographical location; and
(e) Championships operating costs.

SDSU is averaging over 13,000 for attendance this year.  That would play a major factor.

I hate to get ahead of ourselves here, but that article also said:

SDSU is averaging over 13,000 for attendance this year.  That would play a major factor.

But not at Howard Wood.  SDSU is demo-ing their old stands soon after the regular season ends.  The NCAA probably does not like fields that are not home fields, as there may be operational issues they are unaware of.  Sioux Falls is an upgrade otherwise for accommodations and accessibilty.

I find it hard to believe the NC$$ would look at anything besides the bid they receive. 

Another reason attendance appears poor first round games is the NCAA also takes a percentage of gate.  Big benefit in under reporting butts in seats. 

It is however the most poorly attended of all playoff weekends but I still think Faison has to put all his chips in. He may lose money this year but it will pay off in early season games next year. 

I find it hard to believe the NC$$ would look at anything besides the bid they receive. 

Another reason attendance appears poor first round games is the NCAA also takes a percentage of gate.  Big benefit in under reporting butts in seats. 

It is however the most poorly attended of all playoff weekends but I still think Faison has to put all his chips in. He may lose money this year but it will pay off in early season games next year. 

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you but please explain your logic . 

Although it would be great to host a playoff game, do you think it would result in much higher attendance next year?  You would think that getting to the playoffs and winning a game or two would really help attendance next year but I am not sure simply having a home playoff game (especially if we lost) would do that much. 

SDSU finally had the chance to host their first ever FCS playoff game back in 2012 against Jimmy Garrapolo and Eastern Illinois.

Attendance that day was 4,367 on November 24th at Coughlin Alumni.

Their attendance figures historically fade badly at the end of the year, sans a rivalry game.  Maybe because of outdoor temps?

I shudder to think what playoff attendance would be for a game at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls.

I think we would have a great chance at making a good bid and hosting IF we win out.

• Upvote 1

IF we were to make it and host a first round game, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the lowest attended game of the year.

Although I do not doubt you, that right there is one of the saddest, most unfortunate statements I've heard in a while.

The first DI football playoff game UND hosts/participates in will be the lowest attended game? Damn

I'm sure hoping that this isn't the case, IF UND wins out, and IF UND makes the playoffs, and IF Faison bids high and IF UND hosts the first-round playoff game......

Long ways to go apparently, but still fun to discuss.

I think its dumb they have a bidding process to see who hosts games. Give the higher seed the home game. They earned the right.

Yeah, the hypocrisy of the NCAA with their not allowing teams to host in their home arena in hockey, while giving higher bids more emphasis in football is bizarre.  How about being consistent with your level playing field mantra.