SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks .vs Roughriders

Sioux94

Fighting Hawks vs. Roughriders Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If they kept it to only the top two.....and Nodaks was out, which would you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • Roughriders

When I was going into 7th grade, our school merged with another school for sports (small towns).  As bummed as I was about not getting to wear the same football uniform that I'd been cheering for the years before, I was just as excited to start fresh and have our class get to start our own heritage.

I may be old, but I still understand what it feels like to get to start fresh with something that is your own . . . no matter the heritage.  Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm guessing there are some students who are excited to just move on and get their own identity now. 

The Sioux name won't be lost in the hallways, but it won't have any deep meaning to the new generations that were never part of it.  true.

The Hope Hustlers and Page Panthers are now photos, as are the Finley-Sharon Raiders. 

When Hope-Page/Finley-Sharon is on the court tomorrow playing for a Region II volleyball title and a trip to state it'll be all about the Spartans to those girls. And they aren't disrespecting the Hustlers, Panthers, or Raiders in any way. 

• Upvote 1

Abe, I know it's your personal mission to try and educate people on the history of Teddy Roosevelt in ND, and the lack of history of his Roughriders in North Dakota.  That's fine, I have no problem with that.  But a couple thoughts:

First, it is possible that the University would not have to directly tie the Roughriders nickname and logo with Teddy Roosevelt.  Yes, the nickname will always have strong connotations to Teddy, but the University does not have to explicitly use it that way.  What would be your thoughts on the nickname if it was used by the University in its literal meaning?

Second, I'd guess only a sliver of a fraction of North Dakotans know about the history, or lack thereof, of this whole issue.  And virtually nobody outside of North Dakota has any clue about Teddy's ties to North Dakota and would have no idea it's exaggerated.  I'd be much more willing to live with a small history fib with Roughriders as our nickname than get stuck with a nickname whose horribleness is obvious to most people both inside and outside of North Dakota.

Nice post.    It is fine to think of Roughriders purely in the literal sense as you've mentioned.  In fact, I think that's how most voters are viewing it.  That is why it only received 27 or 28% in the last round; there's nothing extra special about it to your average voter.   Theres nothing exciting about an old western guy on a horse.  At least not in the eyes of the younger crowd; they most likely view it as old fashioned and not at all reflective of who they are.  That's the problem with a person-based nickname; if people don't relate to it they won't vote for it.

Avoid the disappointment, anticipate Fighting Hawks.

This sums it up for all of us that aren't crazy about being known as the hawks.  One after the other have been chopped, leaving us with something very uninspiring.  The roughrider faithful get to have there dose of disappoint soon and to that I say...."Welcome to the club".  

Edited by Old Time Hockey
  • Upvote 2

Schloss is a funny cat!  :D

For those asking my nickname pick now, I'm not fond of either name, but.... https://youtu.be/ThlhSnRk21E 

Did you guys know that DMX once spent some time in North Dakota?  He drew inspiration for this song from it's connection to North Dakota's history :)

• Upvote 3

Why doesn't it surprise me that this is contrary to your post on the other nickname thread.  If it's all about what young people want, then it is that music.  

If the Ralph starts playing mostly cRap music it should drive attendance down to goofer or wisco #'s

First, it is possible that the University would not have to directly tie the Roughriders nickname and logo with Teddy Roosevelt.  Yes, the nickname will always have strong connotations to Teddy, but the University does not have to explicitly use it that way.  What would be your thoughts on the nickname if it was used by the University in its literal meaning?

And I, for one, hope they don't, though i do support this choice for the nickname

Anyone else see this scenario playing out?

Fighting Hawks wins the next vote making it UND's nickname.  Months from now it is announced that UND is in the works of developing the new logo and that the blackhawk bird logo going around is not going to be UND's new logo.  Students will be up in arms saying they were  fooled to thinking that was going to be the logo.  Protests will ensue demanding that the blackhawks bird logo be the new nickname or the Fighting Hawks name be dropped.  It will be announced that the hawk logo in question will not be able to be obtained.  Students will protest for a change of the name.  Interim UND President Ed Shafer, with his strong family ties to Medora, and western ND will decide that Roughriders is a much better fit and makes Roughriders the new nickname of UND.

Call me crazy, but at this point in the process, is it that to hard to believe?!!!!

Out of respect for those that are sick of the nickname debate, I left this out of the committed recruits thread.  Does anybody else think the apparel is incredibly lame that these kids are wearing to their signings? Any nickname, except Sundogs, would improve on the plain look of the current apparel.

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1