SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks .vs Roughriders

Sioux94

Fighting Hawks vs. Roughriders Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If they kept it to only the top two.....and Nodaks was out, which would you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • Roughriders

You're like the Sioux forever crowd, except you're digging in your heels about 10 years too late, and what you're fighting for has no relation to the university.

wait until ur in ur 60s & you will live in the past too but I dug in when it all started & yes I'm guilty of being a Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan 1st & foremost - never have hid from that (I'm certain I'm not alone) & not fighting for our great name because of D1 football & PC influences sucks

Edited by Fetch

wait....what? I just heard this 5 minutes ago and posted it, is there a problem?

This stupid acronym has been floating around for a while.  In addition to liking a logo that can never be the logo, some people (students) are thinking of HAWKS as some sort of clever protest choice based on that acronym.  I'm saying that's a downright stupid reason to support a nickname.  Five years from now, heck ONE year from now, nobody will have a clue about that acronym, yet we'll still be stuck with a horrible nickname.

This stupid acronym has been floating around for a while.  In addition to liking a logo that can never be the logo, some people (students) are thinking of HAWKS as some sort of clever protest choice based on that acronym.  I'm saying that's a downright stupid reason to support a nickname.  Five years from now, heck ONE year from now, nobody will have a clue about that acronym, yet we'll still be stuck with a horrible nickname.

But, nobody knows that the already owned logo and the acronym are the reason they (whoever they is) voted for the name. Maybe they voted for the nickname because they like the name? Couple alumni I work with voted for FH and argued with me about voting for Nodaks, and they have never seen that logo and never heard of the acronym. And I'm not guessing about that...

• Upvote 1

Problem with HAWKS?

Five years from now ask an incoming freshman what it meant, and who the Sioux mentioned in it are for that matter, and you'll get a dumbfounded stare. 

They'll just know a beaked logo. 

so..... You're saying the fighting Sioux history will be lost on students in five years, yet, you expect them to vote for a name of an out of state cavalry from 120 years ago?  

I see a slight problem with that logic....

Roughnecks. 

rough·neck
ˈrəfˌnek/
noun

1. 1.
    informal
    a rough and uncouth person.
  2. 2.
    an oil rig worker.
verb

1. 1.
    work on an oil rig.
    "his savi

rough·rid·er
ˈrəfˌrīdər/
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
noun: rough-rider; noun: rough rider
  1. a person who breaks in or can ride unbroken horses.
    • a person who rides horses a lot.
    • a member of the cavalry unit in which Theodore Roosevelt fought during the Spanish-American War.

When I was going into 7th grade, our school merged with another school for sports (small towns).  As bummed as I was about not getting to wear the same football uniform that I'd been cheering for the years before, I was just as excited to start fresh and have our class get to start our own heritage.

I may be old, but I still understand what it feels like to get to start fresh with something that is your own . . . no matter the heritage.  Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm guessing there are some students who are excited to just move on and get their own identity now. 

The Sioux name won't be lost in the hallways, but it won't have any deep meaning to the new generations that were never part of it.  true.

so..... You're saying the fighting Sioux history will be lost on students in five years, yet, you expect them to vote for a name of an out of state cavalry from 120 years ago?  

I see a slight problem with that logic....

Abe, I know it's your personal mission to try and educate people on the history of Teddy Roosevelt in ND, and the lack of history of his Roughriders in North Dakota.  That's fine, I have no problem with that.  But a couple thoughts:

First, it is possible that the University would not have to directly tie the Roughriders nickname and logo with Teddy Roosevelt.  Yes, the nickname will always have strong connotations to Teddy, but the University does not have to explicitly use it that way.  What would be your thoughts on the nickname if it was used by the University in its literal meaning?

Second, I'd guess only a sliver of a fraction of North Dakotans know about the history, or lack thereof, of this whole issue.  And virtually nobody outside of North Dakota has any clue about Teddy's ties to North Dakota and would have no idea it's exaggerated.  I'd be much more willing to live with a small history fib with Roughriders as our nickname than get stuck with a nickname whose horribleness is obvious to most people both inside and outside of North Dakota.