SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Bemidji St. - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

This actually a good Beaver hockey team.  They will win some games this year.

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised if they start to get some love in the polls.  This is the best BSU team I've seen in awhile.

I can't believe how bad Asmus has played tonight.  Just brutal........

He certainly wasn't the only one.  Poolman and Thompson would probably like to forget large sections of this game, too.

So lets assess this "sky is falling" start to the season:

UND is 2-0-2

UND is allowing 2.25 goals per game

UND is scoring 3.75 goals per game

UND has eleven freshman on the roster, but so far they look like they belong

UND's underclassman group have drastically stepped up their play from last year

UND's injury list looks like the team roster

The NCHC again appears to be dominating other conferences.

Cam Johnson's GAA in his first period was 6.0, since then it is 1.80 and he is the 19th ranked goalie in the NCAA

Hrynkiw's GAA in his first period was 6.0, since then it is 2.0

The Gophers are 0-phers on the season.

UND is undefeated.

The sky is not falling.  Imagine what this machine may look like when the injuries slow down and we get a chance to see what Tomek can do.

I love Fighting Sioux hockey.  (None of them other pretender names)

Yep, but I thoroughly enjoy my upper bowl tickets because I can get a great feel for the game, see things developing and seem to be able to evaluate the game better. Have been in the suites, lower bowl, and lower bowl as a student and while each have their perks, I wouldn't give my upper bowl tickets up!

My favorite seats are the first few rows of the upper bowl. You can see absolutly everything and it doesn't look far away at all.

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised if they start to get some love in the polls.  This is the best BSU team I've seen in awhile.

He certainly wasn't the only one.  Poolman and Thompson would probably like to forget large sections of this game, too.

I didn't see the game but the online stats had Ausmus with 7 blocked shots....if accurate, that's not a bad nights work unless he directly gave BSU the puck for their two goals.

I didn't see the game but the online stats had Ausmus with 7 blocked shots....if accurate, that's not a bad nights work unless he directly gave BSU the puck for their two goals.

I commented about Ausmus also, no way I thought he was bad, but he is usually.......shutdown! Not so much last night, IMO. I also think the D was a little tight, maybe nervous for their goalie? Still played a good game.

Watching on TV doesn't give you a full sense of what is happening on the ice, but for goaltending performance it can sometimes be better than being at the rink when it comes to reviewing goals.   I thought H played very well.   Goal 1 is not on him.  Goal 2, if not tipped, was.   But he made some very nice saves down the stretch.   Hard to complain about that performance.  

It is impossible to tell, this early, what any team will be like down the road, but this could be a very good Beaver team.   And there really isn't a reason to think we won't be in the hunt in March.   We may find ourselves thinking these early goalie injuries were a good thing, giving the backups a chance to get some valuable experience.  

Edited by burd

Watching on TV doesn't give you a full sense of what is happening on the ice, but for goaltending performance it can sometimes be better than being at the rink when it comes to reviewing goals.   I thought H played very well.   Goal 1 is not on him.  Goal 2, if not tipped, was.   But he made some very nice saves down the stretch.   Hard to complain about that performance.  

It is impossible to tell, this early, what any team will be like down the road, but this could be a very good Beaver team.   And there really isn't a reason to think we won't be in the hunt in March.   We may find ourselves thinking these early goalie injuries were a good thing, giving the backups a chance to get some valuable experience.  

I think he needs to challenge a bit more. If he came out of the net a little more i dont think that first goal happens imo maybe even the second goal. I dvr'd the game and watched it and Brandt said the same thing on the second goal that he he to come out a little

I think he needs to challenge a bit more. If he came out of the net a little more i dont think that first goal happens imo maybe even the second goal. I dvr'd the game and watched it and Brandt said the same thing on the second goal that he he to come out a little

Yeah, I could see that on the second goal too.  But some of that is probably confidence and comfort level.  

My favorite seats are the first few rows of the upper bowl. You can see absolutly everything and it doesn't look far away at all.

I agree. My dad has season tickets in the upper deck corner on the 3rd row on the end UND shoots twice at. Best place to watch the game.

In just about any rink, seats on the turn are best, and low on the second level is the pick of the litter, in my experience.   Even in small rinks watching kids play, if you can stand on the glass at the turn, you can't do any better. 

I commented about Ausmus also, no way I thought he was bad, but he is usually.......shutdown! Not so much last night, IMO. I also think the D was a little tight, maybe nervous for their goalie? Still played a good game.

Agreed.  Poolman had several passes that were off target and went directly to Bemidji players.  Thompson seemed to be fumbling with the puck more than usual.  I think a lot of mistakes can stem from the goalie situation.  If players are focused on scoring tons of goals to make H's job as easy as possible back there, maybe they take chances they wouldn't normally take. 

Again, it wasn't the D's worst game ever by any means, and I definitely think it was still overall another good game. It just seemed to be a bit sloppier than usual.

Heck, for all we know, maybe some of those players are playing slightly injured.  Given the team's current injury status and the large number of injuries we  don't hear about until after the fact, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Upvote 1

I think I've sat just about every place in that building besides directly behind the bench. From nose bleed seats to being able to feel the checks, to having to make sure I keep my beer away from the boards. I can't say I have say anywhere that I was, "These seats suck". So anyone that wants to give up home tickets because they don't like their seats, I'll take them off your hands for a beer.

I think where to sit at a game has alot to do with what ur used to

Ideal for me is 1st row upper bowl in corner - end we shoot twice

Or top row lower bowl

Or close to that

If anyone has or knows of any season tickets like that for sale please contact me 

• Upvote 1

Middle also, 15-16 for me, I love my seats..

What was your thoughts on Hyrnkiws play? I thought he settled in nice, had to have been ready to puke at the start! That's a big stage, looked good after awhile. His defense looked nervous for him at first also. Ausmus I thought had an off game?

the fitzgeralds goal off the wall was pretty bad but he did settle down a bit although he wasn't tested. Hopefully another week of practice will get him ready for Vermont. Good thing our D core is top notch.

So lets assess this "sky is falling" start to the season:

UND is 2-0-2

UND is allowing 2.25 goals per game

UND is scoring 3.75 goals per game

UND has eleven freshman on the roster, but so far they look like they belong

UND's underclassman group have drastically stepped up their play from last year

UND's injury list looks like the team roster

The NCHC again appears to be dominating other conferences.

Cam Johnson's GAA in his first period was 6.0, since then it is 1.80 and he is the 19th ranked goalie in the NCAA

Hrynkiw's GAA in his first period was 6.0, since then it is 2.0

The Gophers are 0-phers on the season.

UND is undefeated.

The sky is not falling.  Imagine what this machine may look like when the injuries slow down and we get a chance to see what Tomek can do.

I love Fighting Sioux hockey.  (None of them other pretender names)

I'm so confused....who is saying the sky is falling? We're #1 in the country. You?

I don't suppose any of you would have a reason to check out the hfboards Chicago site for game threads.  When the Hawks are losing, that place is pretty entertaining--the coach is an idiot and every player should be benched.   It's just frustration speaking, of course, but those fans are pretty intense and the result is  hilarious.   Sometimes the frustration we feel makes us vent in a way that seems like "sky is falling" talk.  

At least that's what it looks like from where I sit.   Though I have to say, if we don't get another goalie on campus, we might as well be in Madison.  :D