SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

That's 2 now because I thought the last one linked on this site a couple of days ago was pretty reasonable as well

Holy cow! You're right. That is two. The Herald reasonable twice ... < passes out, falls to floor > 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

University of North Dakota Nickname Committee Agenda

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

6 p.m.

Twamley Hall, Room 404

or call Jill Novotny or Katrina Kriewall for call-in information (701.777.2038)

1. Review meeting minutes

2. Review trademark information about suggested names remaining on list

3. Discussion of additional information about suggested nicknames remaining on list

4. Further discussion of suggested nicknames

5. Other business as arises

--30--

If they are going to review trademark information does that mean that they are going to finally realize the Dallas Stars are only going to sell us the rights to north stars for a huge sum of money? I don't know why it's on the list if we will have to buy the rights from someone

I predict the "North Dakota" option comes off the table based on a well-researched recommendation from the "Urban Dictionary" consulting firm. I can hear them "We've determined the word "north" depicts a cold barren place and the word "Dakota" depicts native american imagery."

My gut is that "North Dakota" stays on the short list (however many that is). And it will be the winner after a public vote, with Rough Riders being a distant but sizable runner up.  However, despite its popularity in the public voting, I don't see Kelley choosing "North Dakota," and, lest we forget, Kelley is the end-all-be-all final determiner in all of this. I don't see him picking it due to the myriad reasons that have been hashed and rehashed on here and in the media over the past few months, including its marketability disadvantages, the presumption that it provides a vacuum that would be filled by the banned nickname, and the sense that all it does is kick the can down the road a few more month, years, etc., preventing any kind of real resolution for the school, its student athletes and the new president. 

Again, I could be totally wrong in all of this. I will be anxious (in the truest sense of the word) to see how this all plays out.

My gut is that "North Dakota" stays on the short list (however many that is). And it will be the winner after a public vote, with Rough Riders being a distant but sizable runner up.  However, despite its popularity in the public voting, I don't see Kelley choosing "North Dakota," and, lest we forget, Kelley is the end-all-be-all final determiner in all of this. I don't see him picking it due to the myriad reasons that have been hashed and rehashed on here and in the media over the past few months, including its marketability disadvantages, the presumption that it provides a vacuum that would be filled by the banned nickname, and the sense that all it does is kick the can down the road a few more month, years, etc., preventing any kind of real resolution for the school, its student athletes and the new president. 

Again, I could be totally wrong in all of this. I will be anxious (in the truest sense of the word) to see how this all plays out.

It would be much easier to kill off "North Dakota" now than it would be to reject it after winning a popular vote.  It may be mildly controversial to kill it off now, but people would move on.  If Kelley rejects the "will of the people" after a public vote, it would be extremely controversial.

My prediction is that "North Dakota" doesn't make it to a vote and Kelley will adopt whatever option wins the public vote.  If he doesn't, people will consider the whole process to be a sham and the new nickname will not have legitimacy.  If the end goal is finality, that would be a disaster.

It would be much easier to kill off "North Dakota" now than it would be to reject it after winning a popular vote.  It may be mildly controversial to kill it off now, but people would move on.  If Kelley rejects the "will of the people" after a public vote, it would be extremely controversial.

My prediction is that "North Dakota" doesn't make it to a vote and Kelley will adopt whatever option wins the public vote.  If he doesn't, people will consider the whole process to be a sham and the new nickname will not have legitimacy.  If the end goal is finality, that would be a disaster.

I hope you are right.

So our great and wise marketing consultant can surf UrbanDictionary.com but doesn't see the problem with marketing "            ". 

(That's no nickname.) 

True.  My hunch is that the consultant is not a big fan of "North Dakota," either, and that its staying power with the committee has to do with certain members who are being persuaded by public input (nothing wrong with that).  I have not seen any media quotes or tweets that have stated one way or another how Kelly O'Keefe and Padilla view just "North Dakota," nor have I heard any at the two meetings that I was in attendance.

This intire circus of a process with all these online submissions, forming of multiple committees, holding meetings, hiring consultants, etc was to reach one goal;  To select a new nickname.  Much time. money, and effort have been spent in this process.  Now do you really think that after this entire process, UND is going to decide to go with no nockname?  What a waste!!  For that reason and the fact that it barely made it to this round, my prediction is that "North Dakota" will be cut tonight. 

• Upvote 2

mksioux pretty much addressed this already but I'll echo the sentiment.   I think it would be foolish of Kelley to allow no nickname to remain an option if he would not intend to let it stand.   And I agree that it legitimately turns the whole process into a fraud if this option is left on the table throughout this process only to be killed by executive veto.    "no nickname" is different from other nickname suggestions in that it's really a different reality.   It is a vote for nothing rather than a vote for something tangible.  Therefore, still following the rules of the process, Kelley could have ruled "no nickname" as not an option at the beginning of the process.  He didn't and therefore he will, i believe, live with the consequences.   The only reason he won't is if during this whole process he's had a change of heart on whether it's smart to end up with "no nickname" and is just hoping evolution weeds eventually weeds out the option.

mksioux pretty much addressed this already but I'll echo the sentiment.   I think it would be foolish of Kelley to allow no nickname to remain an option if he would not intend to let it stand.   And I agree that it legitimately turns the whole process into a fraud if this option is left on the table throughout this process only to be killed by executive veto.    "no nickname" is different from other nickname suggestions in that it's really a different reality.   It is a vote for nothing rather than a vote for something tangible.  Therefore, still following the rules of the process, Kelley could have ruled "no nickname" as not an option at the beginning of the process.  He didn't and therefore he will, i believe, live with the consequences.   The only reason he won't is if during this whole process he's had a change of heart on whether it's smart to end up with "no nickname" and is just hoping evolution weeds eventually weeds out the option.

Great points! We shall see.

My prediction:

In this long sequence of wacky, unpredictable twists and turns, and strange moves, and no moves, I predict one more thing that none of us saw coming. 

Kelley decides to un-retire? :sad:

"Big Cocks" makes a move up the leaderboard? :ohmy:

scpa0305 crashes the meeting, reveals he is actually a GFC grad and gets tossed from the meeting because he won't stop yelling "Go Ridas"! ;)

............am I close on any of these?

• Upvote 2