SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

What do you mean by 18,500 maxes out the NDSU fanbase?

How many more fans do you think there are in Fargo clamoring for tickets on a weekly basis?  There are empty seats all over at the lower-end games.  Sold but not sat in.  

I would hope they go for more than $60. The problem is there are 18,500 tickets for sale and that pretty much maxes out their fan base. They would be counting on UND fans to drive up the price. At this point I don't see that many fans passionate enough to want to spend $250 to go. Will there be some, yes. But nothing near what people are thinking.

There is also the fan that just wants to watch the game regardless of who wins. There are a lot of them in Notth Dakota. $200-$250 tickets wouldn't surprise me.

There is also the fan that just wants to watch the game regardless of who wins. There are a lot of them in Notth Dakota. $200-$250 tickets wouldn't surprise me.

Some, yes.  We will see once it gets closer.  Asking price and actual selling price are two different things.  

My point is the NDSU fans saw what UND fans were getting at the Regional and now are going to put them on Craigslist and Stubhub for that much, or more.  Whether they get that remains to be seen.

How many more fans do you think there are in Fargo clamoring for tickets on a weekly basis?  There are empty seats all over at the lower-end games.  Sold but not sat in.  

Despite what many internet personalities might have you believe about how the average NDSU fan feels about UND, the rivalry is alive and well.

Even if you believe that on a regular weekend 18,500 is maxing out the NDSU fanbase(which I would disagree with), this game is not a regular weekend. I don't think it is too far-fetched to say that if this game was being played in a 35,000 seat stadium, it would sell out.

I think a lot of these younger fans who think they've seen what an intense rivalry looks like, will be in for a surprise as this game approaches.

Despite what many internet personalities might have you believe about how the average NDSU fan feels about UND, the rivalry is alive and well.

Even if you believe that on a regular weekend 18,500 is maxing out the NDSU fanbase(which I would disagree with), this game is not a regular weekend. I don't think it is too far-fetched to say that if this game was being played in a 35,000 seat stadium, it would sell out.

I think a lot of these younger fans who think they've seen what an intense rivalry looks like, will be in for a surprise as this game approaches.

Especially if UND looks like a team prior to the Muss era. If UND upsets Wyoming and beats the living crap out of Drake, NDSU may have their hands full. 

Thank you.  I have been trying to tell some of the uneducated about this same thing for a while.   The intensity will ratchet up incredibly as the game approaches.  

Especially if UND looks like a team prior to the Muss era. If UND upsets Wyoming and beats the living crap out of Drake, NDSU may have their hands full. 

NDSU would expect to stomp both of those teams. The fact that a UND fan apparently considers beating them a major accomplishment says nothing about NDSU, but speaks volumes about UND.

• Downvote 3

Thank you.  I have been trying to tell some of the uneducated about this same thing for a while.   The intensity will ratchet up incredibly as the game approaches.  

Both teams better not overlook the opponent prior to the UND-NDSU game. UND hosts Drake, and NDSU hosts Weber State. 

Sioux/Bison weel back in the day was crazy.  Sure NDSU has a good rivalry with their conference opponents like UNI and SDSU.  But those game are not even close to the level of excitement, hype, etc that playing UND will have. Any Bison fan that thinks otherwise is out of their mind!! 

• Upvote 1

NDSU would expect to stomp both of those teams. The fact that a UND fan apparently considers beating them a major accomplishment says nothing about NDSU, but speaks volumes about UND.

How did you get beating Drake a "major" accomplishment?  And beating Wyoming would be a major accomplishment since its an FBS team...and NDSU failed to beat them in 2008.

I expect a closer game than many others. UND's defense seems to be on the rise and NDSU's offense will be their strength next year. So it's strength on strength there. Not to say that they are a wash, because I believe NDSU's offensive line will be able to win most of the battles, especially as the game gets into the 3rd and 4th. But UND's defense will definitely be formidable.

The matchup that will decide how close this game will be is UND's offense against the NDSU defense. NDSU is young, but extremely talented and UND's hasn't proven it can consistently move the ball in quite a while.

I think that the first two games for both teams might clear up a few question marks and clarify how this game might play out a bit. But as of now, I expect a 10-14 point margin of victory for NDSU. 

With that said, the intangibles of playing in an NDSU/UND game have played a role in the outcome of this game before. So we'll see.

• Upvote 2

..would expect to "stomp" Wyoming.  Whatever.    

• Upvote 1

I expect a closer game than many others. UND's defense seems to be on the rise and NDSU's offense will be their strength next year. So it's strength on strength there. Not to say that they are a wash, because I believe NDSU's offensive line will be able to win most of the battles, especially as the game gets into the 3rd and 4th. But UND's defense will definitely be formidable.

The matchup that will decide how close this game will be is UND's offense against the NDSU defense. NDSU is young, but extremely talented and UND's hasn't proven it can consistently move the ball in quite a while.

I think that the first two games for both teams might clear up a few question marks and clarify how this game might play out a bit. But as of now, I expect a 10-14 point margin of victory for NDSU. 

With that said, the intangibles of playing in an NDSU/UND game have played a role in the outcome of this game before. So we'll see.

I agree with this. Those that think its going to be 70-0 will be shocked at the outcome. This will be a lot closer than expected. Some thought Montana St and Montana was going to wax us, and it came down to the wire instead. Barring any major injuries on both side I would agree with 10-14 point win for one of the teams.

No one is being passive aggressive. NDSU is superior to UND in football and has been for 50+ years. We know it and you know it. Stop pretending that it ain't so.

I call BS:

UND dominated the last decade the two teams played

UND owns overall won/lost record (which I think goes back your 50 years)

Enjoy your time in revisionist land. 

• Upvote 3

I call BS:

UND dominated the last decade the two teams played

UND owns overall won/lost record (which I think goes back your 50 years)

Enjoy your time in revisionist land. 

He likes to pick out a timeline that favors NDSU while UND fans look at the series as a whole. Can we cherrypick the timeline, if so then UND is undefeated in the series going back to 2001.

Goodness. Someone who wants to talk "football" and not just fan bluster. Can we allow this here? Will it get the both of us banned? :D 

I agree with your take. Your thoughts on these observations? 

Random observations, for what they're worth:

UND offense v. NDSU defense

- NDSU's defense lost both starting safeties, three opening day linebackers, and the best DE in FCS. Their twos become the ones. <-- Are the threes ready to be the twos. 

- UND will start _______ at QB and _______ at RB. <-- Monster questions without answers today. 

- Will UND's offensive line be better than how they were playing at the end of 2014. <-- The answer to this is a big factor in how the game will be played. 

NDSU offense v. UND defense

- How many will UND have to keep in the box to withstand the NDSU run game or will NDSU choose to forgo the run and attack a suspect UND secondary. 

Special Teams

- NDSU will have a new primary kicker 

Those could be big ifs, until we know more about this team. Certainly possible though.Definitely took some steps in the right direction last year. Now we need to keep it going. Agree about getting back to pre-Muss era though. Never was a big fan of the guy. Definitely like the direction this team is going though.

• Upvote 1

This might be the most sensible, legitimate, thought out post I have seen from a Bison fan on this board.

• Upvote 1

Those could be big ifs, until we know more about this team. Certainly possible though.Definitely took some steps in the right direction last year. Now we need to keep it going. Agree about getting back to pre-Muss era though. Never was a big fan of the guy. Definitely like the direction this team is going though.

Beating the crap out of Drake should pretty much be a given, beating Wyoming could be possible since we almost beat 3 FBS teams during the Muss era. I think the defense will be more solid than last year, and the offense should be a lot better as the players got used to the Bubba scheme, plus Bubba's recruits now entering the mix should look more like Bubba's team. 

Now what the hell did you go and have to do that for?...

Goodness. Someone who wants to talk "football" and not just fan bluster. Can we allow this here? Will it get the both of us banned? :D

I think all of those are spot on observations. 

In regards to the NDSU run game, a part of me is concerned about the loss of Crockett and how it will affect NDSU's run game, and another part of me looks to our offensive line for the real reason NDSU's run game has been a strength. Given that I expect the offensive line to be better than last year, I worry less about it, but I'm still waiting to see something special out of the guys NDSU has at running back. Frazier, looked ok last year. I like Chase Morlock, but I'm not sure he is a star and then the coaching staff seems to be very high on the redshirt freshman Dunn and actually think he may push for starting time. I haven't seen him play so I can't comment, but with Morlock and Frazier at least we have some experience back at the position so I think with a couple games under their belt they should figure it out as a unit.

From the UND folks I talk to about the defense in Grand Forks, it sounds like Coach Schmidt is bringing back a throwback style of the 3-4 defense that is much more of an attacking style of play. The style that UND built a national championship on. If they can get the right players(at it sounds like they are) that defense can be both very fun to watch and very difficult to move the ball against. Outside of the NDSU game, I will actually appreciate seeing that brand of defense in Grand Forks again.

UND's offense, is the one I know the least about. I know the QB position is a question mark, but I've heard that if UND could get the OL shored up, these QB actually do have the skills to deliver strikes, they just need the time. With NDSU's best pass rushers graduated, NDSU's ability to get to the QB has yet to be seen. I think Menard at NDSU has potential to be the next great NDSU DE, but he's young. We'll see what another year in the weight room will do for him. 

I am very interested to see how the NDSU's LB and Safety positions come together. There are some names coming up through the ranks that have enormous potential form an athletic standpoint, but as we all know, the mental side of the game needs to be strong for a player to play fast. I think that is the problem NDSU coaches are running into with Board at safety and Gee-Tucker at LB(along with injuries).

We'll see. This is going to be a much different NDSU team than fans are used to. Teams may be putting up points on us, especially early in the season. But I do believe that Carson has the ability to fill up the score board if needed.

Should be an interesting match up.

I still hold true to what I said a few years ago about this match up. It makes me nervous. Not because I'm afraid NDSU will lose, they could lose to anybody. What makes me nervous is UND has LITERALLY nothing to lose. The only fully positive outcome from this game is NDSU winning in a blowout, that's an uncomfortable position to be in.

• Upvote 1

Arrington starts at RB and gets a lot of the carries. Likely Studsrud at QB.

I don't like sticking up for NDSU fans, but by your logic, UND's fanbase for hockey maxes out at around 11,500, as there are several empty seats at many of the home games that are advertised as "sell outs."  We all know that UND's fanbase for sports and especially hockey is larger than 12,000.  Just the same as NDSU's fanbase is much larger than 19,000.  And was pointed out, this isn't a regular game, no matter what anyone says.  I agree that the secondary market will be well north of $100 and wouldn't be surprised if its in the $200 range.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if the game was a 10 or 14 point difference, one fan base would be thrilled and one fan base would be crushed and would disappear from websites and talk shows for quite a while.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if the game was a 10 or 14 point difference, one fan base would be thrilled and one fan base would be crushed and would disappear from websites and talk shows for quite a while.

This post speaks to my point. For a team to win by 10-14 points and that is somehow an embarrassment, that's why NDSU didn't want to play this game for the last decade.