SiouxSports.com Forum

The Last Committee 2.0

SWSiouxMN

The members of this committee would be well served to read some history. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18marquette.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

A "Sundogs" category* nickname would retrace these (mis)steps that should never be followed again. 

*Pick your favorite duckies and bunnies, rainbows and unicorns, name. That's the category I speak of. I'd say "Golden Eagles" and "Lightning" are one level above that. 

"Students and alumni will be allowed to vote online for two; there will be a write-in option, though nothing linked to American Indians will be considered. A runoff election between the two most-popular choices will also take place online."

One interesting thing that the committee will have to decide is who get's to vote for the new name?  At Marquette it was students and alumni.  If it were up to me, the people that would get to vote would be current students, current UND staff, alumni, Champions Club members, season ticket holders, and current Grand Forks residents.  These are the people that are have the most vested interest in the school an it's athletic teams.  I don't want some Bison fans in Fargo or some oil rigger in Williston deciding the name for UND.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

After reading this article and McDonald's comments one can see why Kelley asked him to be on the committee. 

"Here comes your University of North Dakota Sundogs". (or Big Green)

From the article.

"I was actually going to school at UND when support for (the nickname) was provided by Spirit Lake and my perspective is that it has always been a civil rights issue," McDonald said. "If there is something there that interferes with your education, you're violating the civil rights of those individuals with whatever that issues is and in this case it happened to be the Fighting Sioux name."

Well after giving this some thought I am exploring the option of filing a class action civil rights lawsuit against the following establishments for interfering with my college education.

The Antique

Whiteys

The Spud

Bonzers

Frenchys

The Bridge

John Barleycorn

and maybe a few others.....who is with me? ???

Archie, Antoine American Horse and the many, many others on SR and SL will continue fighting this intrinsic moral wrong.  It is unacceptable and irrational that the perennial, bitter petulance and racist beliefs held by a few can serve as a basis for policy decisions that both deprive a school and state of 80+ years of tradition and disrespect sacred native american customs.  It is unacceptable that "civil rights" are invoked by some to expunge native american and their culture out the public sphere.  Neither the mercurial temperament of the anti-nickname/PC radicals nor their ongoing whimsical and self-serving invocation of "civil rights" has any basis in logic or creative reason.  To them, nothing is definitive except that which offends their evolved and refined sensibilities on any given day and, collectively, they represent the absence of creative, rational thought.  Simply, they are the embodiment of a collection of reactionary politically correct drives motivated by faux outrage. While there is nothing at all wrong with liberals (many liberals, like my English prof brother, support the nickname and logo) what is objectionable is a certain cynical clique on the politically correct left who feel compelled to discharge into the river of discourse a certain effluent of self-appointed "offenses" that run counter to their genteel, politically correct sensibilities over which everyone else must gush "racism", "sexism" or the latest "ism" du jour.  

• Upvote 2

Archie, Antoine American Horse and the many, many others on SR and SL will continue fighting this intrinsic moral wrong. It is unacceptable and irrational that the perennial, bitter petulance and racist beliefs held by a few can serve as a basis for policy decisions that both deprive a school and state of 80+ years of tradition and disrespect sacred native american customs. It is unacceptable that "civil rights" are invoked by some to expunge native american and their culture out the public sphere. Neither the mercurial temperament of the anti-nickname/PC radicals nor their ongoing whimsical and self-serving invocation of "civil rights" has any basis in logic or creative reason. To them, nothing is definitive except that which offends their evolved and refined sensibilities on any given day and, collectively, they represent the absence of creative, rational thought. Simply, they are the embodiment of a collection of reactionary politically correct drives motivated by faux outrage. While there is nothing at all wrong with liberals (many liberals, like my English prof brother, support the nickname and logo) what is objectionable is a certain cynical clique on the politically correct left who feel compelled to discharge into the river of discourse a certain effluent of self-appointed "offenses" that run counter to their genteel, politically correct sensibilities over which everyone else must gush "racism", "sexism" or the latest "ism" du jour.

I actually agree with much of what you say here. Unfortunately the reservations waited too long and allowed the chronically offended to win the battle over the Sioux name and logo. It's a shame that we're in this situation, but we are. It's time to move forward, as there is no going back.

Yes, we're being over-run by 'emoters': those governed by how they feel about something, not logic, how they believe or perceive something, not fact. And emoters, by their very nature, are impossible to sway from their "I know I'm right because I can ... feel ... it" positions with reason, logic, or fact. 

The problem? The emoters have somehow taken over. 

Yes, we're being over-run by 'emoters': those governed by how they feel about something, not logic, how they believe or perceive something, not fact. And emoters, by their very nature, are impossible to sway from their "I know I'm right because I can ... feel ... it" positions with reason, logic, or fact. 

The problem? The emoters have somehow taken over. 

That's because too many in society have decided to curl up in the fetal postion and cry all day about how someone or something hurt their feeelings..............

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3697116-und-nickname-committee-talks-priorities

"A November 2014 survey was part of the former task force's data gathering process. It found respondents ranked having a unique name as a top priority, with several other characteristics also receiving high rankings, such promoting a sense of pride, loyalty and community togetherness."

This is one thing that I, ond apparently others, expressed as being extremely important for a new nickname.  Bulldogs, Panthers, Eagles, etc are just not going to cut it in my opinion.  Glad to see that this is being taken into consideration.

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3697116-und-nickname-committee-talks-priorities

"A November 2014 survey was part of the former task force's data gathering process. It found respondents ranked having a unique name as a top priority, with several other characteristics also receiving high rankings, such promoting a sense of pride, loyalty and community togetherness."

This is one thing that I, ond apparently others, expressed as being extremely important for a new nickname.  Bulldogs, Panthers, Eagles, etc are just not going to cut it in my opinion.  Glad to see that this is being taken into consideration.

"Rabid Weasels" it is then. ;)

Again, very concerning that only a couple people on the committee with any marketing or branding background. I can see a Minnesota Wild type fiasco happening here.(mediocre name and had no forethought at all about a logo and branding......and these were professionals).

The "general public" should at this point in the game  have as little input if any, as possible.

Name "suggestions" from Alumni, Faculty, and Students are fine. Voting by the general public or even the student, faculty, and alumni group on the names the committee ultimately chooses as finalists is a horrible idea.(I am going to cite the 7 out of 10 rule here) You were chosen for this committee and accepted....do your job and pair the list down, go through the pros and cons of each, confer with marketing and branding experts and make a decision.

• Upvote 1

From the article:

"I was actually going to school at UND when support for (the nickname) was provided by Spirit Lake and my perspective is that it has always been a civil rights issue," McDonald said. "If there is something there that interferes with your education, you're violating the civil rights of those individuals with whatever that issues is and in this case it happened to be the Fighting Sioux name."

Anybody uttering anything that patently stupid ought to be immediately removed from the committee.  Karl and the rest of the committee should tell Herr Doktor Kelley that either that moronic jackass is removed from the committee or they all resign.

Anybody uttering anything that patently stupid ought to be immediately removed from the committee.  Karl and the rest of the committee should tell Herr Doktor Kelley that either that moronic jackass is removed from the committee or they all resign.

Careful: an ultimatum like that might be exactly what Kelley wants --> a one man, his man, committee. 

Kelley also asked the committee to submit a list of three names some time this coming May for the public to vote on.

"This is the bottom of the ninth," he said. "We're coming into the final stretch, and we're going to win this one. ... We've got the people around the table now to help us develop an exciting new nickname for the University of North Dakota."

Obviously, this is from the "I can't think"/"we're a team" playbook. Good thing my anti-nausea tablets aren't far away. With bated breath, I'm feeling the excitement 600 miles away.

"I still have a big question about this vote and how we're going to do this vote," UND professor and committee member John Bridewell said. "It's something we've got to talk about at some point."

I can already sense the tingling worry regarding possible offensive nicknames.

Again, very concerning that only a couple people on the committee with any marketing or branding background. I can see a Minnesota Wild type fiasco happening here.(mediocre name and had no forethought at all about a logo and branding......and these were professionals).

The "general public" should at this point in the game  have as little input if any, as possible.

Name "suggestions" from Alumni, Faculty, and Students are fine. Voting by the general public or even the student, faculty, and alumni group on the names the committee ultimately chooses as finalists is a horrible idea.(I am going to cite the 7 out of 10 rule here) You were chosen for this committee and accepted....do your job and pair the list down, go through the pros and cons of each, confer with marketing and branding experts and make a decision.

Well, they have a (I assume highly paid) consultant that specializes in this sort of thing who is advising the committee.  IMO that's even better than having him/her as part of the committee.  Their job isn't to determine a new nickname and get caught up in those political issues.  They can focus on the one thing they are good at....

Kelley also asked the committee to submit a list of three names some time this coming May for the public to vote on.

"This is the bottom of the ninth," he said. "We're coming into the final stretch, and we're going to win this one. ... We've got the people around the table now to help us develop an exciting new nickname for the University of North Dakota."

Obviously, this is from the "I can't think"/"we're a team" playbook. Good thing my anti-nausea tablets aren't far away. With bated breath, I'm feeling the excitement 600 miles away.

"I still have a big question about this vote and how we're going to do this vote," UND professor and committee member John Bridewell said. "It's something we've got to talk about at some point."

I can already sense the tingling worry regarding possible offensive nicknames.

Hopefully Kelley doesn't handle late game scenerios like Jones does!! :p

• Upvote 1

Well, they have a (I assume highly paid) consultant that specializes in this sort of thing who is advising the committee.  IMO that's even better than having him/her as part of the committee.  Their job isn't to determine a new nickname and get caught up in those political issues.  They can focus on the one thing they are good at....

Invoicing customers? 

• Upvote 1

This whole thing has been a clusterf*ck from the start...why would it be any different now? Kelley's got his hand picked bobo on the committee to ensure no more feelings get hurt...yeah Kelley, this is the bottom of the ninth except there's two outs and we are down 23 runs...not that exciting but the end is near.

• Upvote 3

This whole thing has been a clusterf*ck from the start...why would it be any different now? Kelley's got his hand picked bobo on the committee to ensure no more feelings get hurt...yeah Kelley, this is the bottom of the ninth except there's two outs and we are down 23 runs...not that exciting but the end is near.

So there's a chance?  

• Upvote 1

Kelley also asked the committee to submit a list of three names some time this coming May...

Nice try at sports metaphors there. I'm almost surprised he didn't say "it's the bottom of the 9th as we head into the home stretch. We're gonna make a three-pointer and then kick the extra point on a new nickname for the University of North Dakota."
  • Upvote 1