SiouxSports.com Forum

The Last Committee 2.0

SWSiouxMN

If Archie can convince the NCAA to turn the ship around, I might be tempted to get behind it again .... but me thinks we are long past the point of no return on this one. 

That ship has long since sailed, floundered in a storm and sank like a rock. 

• Upvote 3

Here is a post from Archie Fool Bear's Facebook page:

Today some friends contacted me saying President Kelley is making another push to get rid of the Fighting Sioux name. I will continue my quest to make sure that the last of our gifts and ceremonies are honored. We here at Standing Rock were never allowed to vote on this and I'm pretty sure every leader has their personal reasons. But when it comes to our ceremonies, there isn't a tribal motion, or tribal resolution that can UNDO that ceremony. I know I will catch some flack for my continued support of what was done in the past. When our Tribal Leader of the time, along with the descendants of the one of this nations most quoted leader(sitting bull) gave the University the right to use the name and do so with our ceremonies then we should continue to respect that. I hear all the anti name comments, all the personal experiences, and all the hoopla against UND's use of the name and the comment that the ceremony didn't mean a thing, this was said by own tribal leader. But somewhere in all this, the ceremony conducted by Mr. Ed Loon as directed by the Chairman in 1969 should be respected by leaders of today. Our ceremonies either mean something or nothing at all. I'd like to thank those elders who gave me their support to continue the fight to keep the name "Sioux" alive, "Never forget who you are, you are part of the great Sioux Nation don't let anyone take that away we not victims we are the great Sioux nation". With the national push to do away with Indian Names proudly given to schools and other uses for either their Identity or a sports team soon enough, no one will know who the Sioux People are and soon enough some congressional person will take this to that level. So to those who have passed on, those descendants of both Mr Loon and those descendants of Sitting Bull who gave the name back in the 30's, I will continue with my promise to fight for what we did. ..I will continue to fight the good fight.

I hat to break it to hos friends contacting him, but President Kelley did not get rid of the name.  The Spriit Lake Tribal Coucil effectively did by not giving the tribal members a vote.  I agree that he is sincere about his comments and I agree with him.  But that ship has sailed, sunk, been discovered, and hade a sappy love story movie made about it already!!

I wish I could find it, but someone quite a while back posted the "final list" of choices a while back.

I think it was something like:

< a weather phenomena, like Storm > 

< a flying raptor >

< a clawed mammal > 

< a generic "idea" noun, like Liberty > 

I wish I could find that again. It was genius. 

< a color > 

"The Last Committee 2.0" meets later today for the first time.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3695105-und-nickname-committee-faces-time-crunch

After reading this article and McDonald's comments one can see why Kelley asked him to be on the committee. 

"Here comes your University of North Dakota Sundogs". (or Big Green)

Its March 10th,

does the really get done by May?

After reading this article and McDonald's comments one can see why Kelley asked him to be on the committee. 

Sundogs can be turned into an innuendo.  NEXT!

Big Green, The movie was alright. 

I'd be curious as to how a school sports nickname could "hinder" your education...I knew students during my time at UND who not once stepped foot inside Hyslop, Memorial Stadium, or the old REA.

I'd be curious as to how a school sports nickname could "hinder" your education...I knew students during my time at UND who not once stepped foot inside Hyslop, Memorial Stadium, or the old REA.

Exactly.....but it's a "civil rights" issue.

Please.............

Exactly.....but it's a "civil rights" issue.

Please.............

Belfield High School's nickname was the Bantams. Never occurred to me in my four years there that my GPA might have been higher if the team had been called Greyhounds, Kings, or Wolverines.

Belfield High School's nickname was the Bantams. Never occurred to me in my four years there that my GPA might have been higher if the team had been called Greyhounds, Kings, or Wolverines.

No wonder there are some many troubled and dumb kids that came out of Devils Lake. ;)

The members of this committee would be well served to read some history. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18marquette.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

... the university's board ... went with a new nickname few students and alumni were prepared for.

"After we made the decision, the board gathered together for dinner, and people felt good about the job they had done. But then you put it out there, and obviously the customers didn't buy it."

... the university president at the time, decided there was no way to remove the stereotypes from the Warriors history, and he offered the student body a choice between two inoffensive nicknames.

The students chose Golden Eagles over Lightning. Because Golden Eagles was so generic, fans maintained an association with Warriors. Two years ago, when Marquette's men's basketball team won the Conference USA regular-season championship, one student waved a sign that stated, "100 Percent Warrior!"

A "Sundogs" category* nickname would retrace these (mis)steps that should never be followed again. 

*Pick your favorite duckies and bunnies, rainbows and unicorns, name. That's the category I speak of. I'd say "Golden Eagles" and "Lightning" are one level above that.