SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ Western Michigan - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

I'd say Kristo did just fine in his 4 years as a Sioux: 68 goals, 93 assists, 161 pts.

I love watching Caggiula play as much as the next guy but Kristo's production at UND was pretty ridiculous. Not sure how he didn't live up to the hype with those type of numbers.

I was curious so I looked it up and Kristo is 18th all time in points in Sioux history...

... and during an era when scoring is at an all-time low in college hockey.   Is Common Man still looking for Preposterous Statement entries?

I wonder how much goalie equipment alone would change numbers for guys like Hrkac and Greg Johnson?  Go back farther and the difference would be even more pronounced. 

Kristo is putting up solid numbers in the AHL- I wouldn't call it "blowing it up"

As for production, the best comparison is points per game.  Most of our elite players do not play 4 years.

Kristo is at 1.025ppg (4 years)

Osh was 1.10ppg (3 years)

Toews at 1.12 (2 years)

Parise 1.52 (2 years)

Panzer 1.373 (4 years)

Bucks 1.28 (3 years)

Gregoire 0.94 (3 years)

Kristo is putting up solid numbers in the AHL- I wouldn't call it "blowing it up"

As for production, the best comparison is points per game. Most of our elite players do not play 4 years.

Toews at 1.12 (2 years)

Parise 1.52 (2 years)

Panzer 1.373 (4 years)

Bucks 1.28 (3 years)

Gregoire 0.94 (3 years)

When you are comparing to guys who have become some of the best in the world, yeah his ppg will be lower. The Gregoire comparison is a good one.

As for production, the best comparison is points per game.  Most of our elite players do not play 4 years.

Toews at 1.12 (2 years)

Parise 1.52 (2 years)

Panzer 1.373 (4 years)

Bucks 1.28 (3 years)

Gregoire 0.94 (3 years)

So Kristo was a shade under Oshie point production levels? Yeah, I think he lived up to the hype :)

Toews at 1.12 (2 years)

Parise 1.52 (2 years)

Panzer 1.373 (4 years)

Bucks 1.28 (3 years)

Gregoire 0.94 (3 years)

He did, at times, last year, blow up. Regardless... my point is... offensively, he's doing enough to be in the show. But he's behind a lot of talent. A different team may have had him in the NHL all season.

Really? That dude was a BEAST his senior year. Caggs has work to do to get on that level, IMO. What do you think set Caggs over Kristo?

As a Rangers fan, I've followed Kristo very closely. I don't think it has a lot to do with Danny but the players that the Rangers have in their system. He has lit up the AHL for two years now and every comment from the coaches says he's still developing his defensive game and that he's very close. He plays the exact style of play that the Rangers want and he'll be in the show soon, IMO. They are loaded with talent and that's hard to beat sometimes.

Haha. He hasn't been bad but "lit up" may be a little stretch. :)

Looks like Caggiula is at 0.634 pt/gm for his career.

Hrkac was 2.024.  I wonder what that would have been if he played 4 years.

Had it not been for Kristo's incident his pt/gm would likely have been higher, as usually the last two years are better than the first 2.

Any which way, I'll take Kristo and Caggiula on my team any day of the week.

Haha. He hasn't been bad but "lit up" may be a little stretch. :)

Again... Fair enough. My Rangers/Sioux fanboy came out a wee bit :) .... But my point is that he is doing enough offensively to be in the show. Just gotta keep improving defensively and he'll get there. The Rangers tendered him last year, I believe, and I really hope they resign him.

I've never had a Sioux alum play for my team and after the J.T. Miller disappointment (not to mention Mantha and Tambo are in the system), I'm really hoping he gets to the big club.

I'd say Kristo did just fine in his 4 years as a Sioux: 68 goals, 93 assists, 161 pts.

I love watching Caggiula play as much as the next guy but Kristo's production at UND was pretty ridiculous. Not sure how he didn't live up to the hype with those type of numbers.

Maybe I didnt pay enough attention to him when he was here but seems it seems like i notice Caggiula more then I noticed Kristo

Maybe I didnt pay enough attention to him when he was here but seems it seems like i notice Caggiula more then I noticed Kristo

It's tough not to notice Caggiula with plays like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEuvucu2Ic

this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oD-RT-AqOA

and this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZBJFGZaXbY

Id take Caggiula over Kristo and day. My opinion but i think Kristo was too hyped coming in and didnt live up to it

Drake is one of my favorite players on the team this year but I would definitely take Kristo over him. Kristo was very good in his time here and definitely lived up to most peoples expectations.

Maybe it has to do with who he played with? Frattin, Gregoire, Knight, Grimaldi, Trupp, Malone, Nelson... some pretty prolific scorers/playmakers. 5 of which who have played in the NHL.

That being said, I think Danny was an elite college hockey player. Drake is close.

Toews at 1.12 (2 years)

Parise 1.52 (2 years)

Panzer 1.373 (4 years)

Bucks 1.28 (3 years)

Gregoire 0.94 (3 years)

This needs some consideration of an asterisk with an explanation.  The junior/senior years are typically the most production.  Where would Toews, Parise, and Oshie have been if they played all four years.  Toews was only 17 when he came to UND with an April birthday.  He didn't turn 18 until after the end of his freshman season.  Another year for the DOT line would have been phenomenal.

Danny can definitely skate!  

I think the issue with Danny and the NHL is finding the right role on the right team.  He is not going to win a lot of corner battles at the NHL level unless its a foot race.  He is average size and average strength (for an NHL forward).  He also probably brings average NHL skill for a potential 5/6 forward.  If he projects as a 15-20 goal scorer 35-45 point guy, he needs to bring some other intangibles...hence the work on defensive zone play in the AHL.  

I think he can make it if he can prove that he can put up 50ish points and play plus hockey in the AHL consistently.