SiouxSports.com Forum

What has changed at REA in 10 years?

Fedorov

It's not just at the Ralph it's all over sports. Back in the day it was just the game and you. Now you have cell phones and jumbotrons etc.

Yes agree, things change. It's still easily my fav sports event to go to and I've been to pretty much every big game out there at all levels. Nothing like watching them win a natty. Just been too damn long

I think combining upper/ lower tickets to one first come first serve tickets caused this. Can't pregame or go to the bar beforehand and get a decent seat.

Trust me for the students there's plenty of pregaming going on before doors and waiting for the games to start in the seats. Students have gotten a lot more creative in bring in things. Most come to the game pretty intoxicated and have found ways to keep that going.

I have been in and around the student section for 4 years now and the atmosphere just in those 4 years has changed completely. Most of the students in the lower bowl are there because they want to be that loud fan but when they stand up to cheer there told to sit down by the ushers because the people in sections near them complain. The worst part about it is the students in the upper deck for the most part don't care to much except for the very intoxicated individuals at the very top that most end up kicked out.

And there has only been one time in those four years that I remember someone having information on a player and it was UMD 2 years ago I want to say. They found out the starting goalie was in a relationship with a 17 year old and chanted she's not legal all game at him. He ended up getting chased in that game also.

Trust me for the students there's plenty of pregaming going on before doors and waiting for the games to start in the seats. Students have gotten a lot more creative in bring in things. Most come to the game pretty intoxicated and have found ways to keep that going.

I have been in and around the student section for 4 years now and the atmosphere just in those 4 years has changed completely. Most of the students in the lower bowl are there because they want to be that loud fan but when they stand up to cheer there told to sit down by the ushers because the people in sections near them complain. The worst part about it is the students in the upper deck for the most part don't care to much except for the very intoxicated individuals at the very top that most end up kicked out.

And there has only been one time in those four years that I remember someone having information on a player and it was UMD 2 years ago I want to say. They found out the starting goalie was in a relationship with a 17 year old and chanted she's not legal all game at him. He ended up getting chased in that game also.

I'm proud of you. 17 year old girlfriend is a pitch you can't sit on.

A couple examples that come to mind for me......

I remember when students at the Ralph would have personal notes on every opposing player for when he was in the penalty box. That opposing player would get lit up by the students.

Not at the ralph but when the sioux travelled to Ithaca to play Cornell. Malone lost his helmet and the entire crowd let him have it. Anywhere from fire crotch to ugly was yelled at him from every direction. Then the student section started a "cover it up" chant.

I know these examples might be a little dirty but this is hockey! This atmosphere has disappeared from the Ralph.

Ohh trust me, we do. Usually its only a handful of students, but they come with notes.

Also, we occasionally heckle them during warmups. In fact, a CC player spit on the glass at a heckler so this past weekend.

UNO definitely seems to have the home ice advantage that I remember REA having.  I didn't know you could have cow bells, horns, or mini zambonis going on the ice during the game.  

Don't forget the beach balls and that effin' fish.

I was at this game. I was always wondering what exactly they were talking about, and now it makes perfect sense.

UNO definitely seems to have the home ice advantage that I remember REA having.  I didn't know you could have cow bells, horns, or mini zambonis going on the ice during the game.  

I would be interested to see what the atmosphere is like at UNO games when it isn't "The Biggest Series Ever" for them. 

Before Friday's game it was funny to hear Steve Olson on the radio commenting that he couldn't understand all the hype UNO was placing on "just three conference points when there are 10+ games left in the season".  It shifted the perspective a bit...

I would be interested to see what the atmosphere is like at UNO games when it isn't "The Biggest Series Ever" for them.

Before Friday's game it was funny to hear Steve Olson on the radio commenting that he couldn't understand all the hype UNO was placing on "just three conference points when there are 10+ games left in the season". It shifted the perspective a bit...

I understand that this was probably uno's most attended series of the season but it was super loud at the c link. We sat right next to the student section and the students had organized chants that went almost non stop throughout the game. The c link did not mess them up with music the way the ralph does. Very fun atmosphere to say the least.

Don't forget the beach balls and that effin' fish.

Wondering how UNO can get away with this every game.  I assume that the refs give UNO an automatic warning for delay of game when fans throw items on the ice.  Or maybe its not a delay since they have that handy little mini zamboni to clean up the carcas!  If they do in fact get a warning, wouldn't the next item thrown on the ice be a delay of game penalty and result in a PP for the opposing team? I know that teams have notified officials when they are doing charitable stuff like the teddy bear toss.  But does Blais have to go to the officials every nigh and explain that a fan in going to be throwing a big dead fish on the ice?  I am all about traditions and doing thigs at games that are unique to each school, but this one is pretty dumb and could affect the outcome of a game possibly! 

I disagree based on personal experience.  I started at UND in 2009 and there is a huge difference from even then.  Students have ALWAYS been creative in bringing booze in.  All that has changed is that there are LESS intoxicated students.  Intoxication = loud. 

I disagree based on personal experience.  I started at UND in 2009 and there is a huge difference from even then.  Students have ALWAYS been creative in bringing booze in.  All that has changed is that there are LESS intoxicated students.  Intoxication = loud. 

So you're saying every weekend used to be a 'blackout weekend' at The Ralph?

I disagree based on personal experience. I started at UND in 2009 and there is a huge difference from even then. Students have ALWAYS been creative in bringing booze in. All that has changed is that there are LESS intoxicated students. Intoxication = loud.

And more of the: im just here because its cool... let me take a selfie group. Why are we cheering?

So you're saying every weekend used to be a 'blackout weekend' at The Ralph?

No, I'm not.  I'm saying having a couple beers in the system makes it more fun to stand up and cheer.  It used to be the case that seniors could go to the bar and then head to the game right before puck drop and sit in the lower bowl.  Now, they have to skip the bar and wait in line for three hours to get a lower bowl seat (and they can't have a beer there either).  

No, I'm not.  I'm saying having a couple beers in the system makes it more fun to stand up and cheer.  It used to be the case that seniors could go to the bar and then head to the game right before puck drop and sit in the lower bowl.  Now, they have to skip the bar and wait in line for three hours to get a lower bowl seat (and they can't have a beer there either).  

I kid, I kid. Seriously though, I've heard cops have cracked down on underage drinking to the point they're hassling students even if they aren't making a scene. I'm more in the camp of don't question college students for drinking unless they're being morons. 

Get a wristband a go get a beer at the intermissions!! 

• Upvote 1

Wondering how UNO can get away with this every game.  I assume that the refs give UNO an automatic warning for delay of game when fans throw items on the ice.  Or maybe its not a delay since they have that handy little mini zamboni to clean up the carcas!  If they do in fact get a warning, wouldn't the next item thrown on the ice be a delay of game penalty and result in a PP for the opposing team? I know that teams have notified officials when they are doing charitable stuff like the teddy bear toss.  But does Blais have to go to the officials every nigh and explain that a fan in going to be throwing a big dead fish on the ice?  I am all about traditions and doing thigs at games that are unique to each school, but this one is pretty dumb and could affect the outcome of a game possibly! 

The fish goes on the ice after UNO scores when play is stopped. The guy on the go cart comes out and scoops it up with a dip net ,and is gone before the the players are done high fiving the bench. No delay, no big deal. He pops some awesome wheelies on that thing too.No more delay than the fireworks at the Ralph scaring the hell out of unsuspecting visiting players.