SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

The bottom line for me is . . . would the Portly One have written this article if Minot, Dickenson and UND had all used these funds for this athletic purpose, and ndsu had not?   That answer is a resounding NO, he would have seen no need to write that one.   The intentions of this article is to smear NDSU, and for no other purpose.  Nice picture on the article Mr. Portly.   I'm looking forward to your article on the recent arrest of a track athlete at UND, and who's head should roll on that travesty.

The bottom line for me is . . . would the Portly One have written this article if Minot, Dickenson and UND had all used these funds for this athletic purpose, and ndsu had not?   That answer is a resounding NO, he would have seen no need to write that one.   The intentions of this article is to smear NDSU, and for no other purpose.  Nice picture on the article Mr. Portly.   I'm looking forward to your article on the recent arrest of a track athlete at UND, and who's head should roll on that travesty.

It will fit in with all the other athletes that got in trouble over the years.  Meh.  

If only UND had so few donations that they too could have cheated to use their funds.  No more following the rules, live and learn.

So you're justifying ndsu.  minot, and Dickinson's misuse of funding  based on who reported it on a blog?    Interesting set of values you have down there.

So you're justifying ndsu.  minot, and Dickinson's misuse of funding  based on who reported it on a blog?    Interesting set of values you have down there.

I'm waiting for the legislature to say that the funds were misused, and that a violation occurred related to how these funds were specified.   I'm not going to hang my hat on a Rob Port article.   What do you thinks Portly's intentions were in writing this article?   No way he writes that article if UND were involved, and everyone here knows that.   He's the head of propaganda train for everything und, and is without credibility from what I've seen him pen, and not pen.

I'm waiting for the legislature to say that the funds were misused, and that a violation occurred related to how these funds were specified. I'm not going to hang my hat on a Rob Port article. What do you thinks Portly's intentions were in writing this article? No way he writes that article if UND were involved, and everyone here knows that. He's the head of propaganda train for everything und, and is without credibility from what I've seen him pen, and not pen.

FU can't be too terribly underfunded if they can spend funds that are supposed to be used on academics to fund athletics. I hope this gets thrown back at your president the next time he starts whining about funding.

If FU would stop misusing funds, Port would have nothing to write about.

I'm waiting for the legislature to say that the funds were misused, and that a violation occurred related to how these funds were specified.   I'm not going to hang my hat on a Rob Port article.   What do you thinks Portly's intentions were in writing this article?   No way he writes that article if UND were involved, and everyone here knows that.   He's the head of propaganda train for everything und, and is without credibility from what I've seen him pen, and not pen.

I wouldn't connect Port to UND, he is just bomb throwing far right loon that people give way too much publicity to. He hates all of higher education, NDSU is just his favorite whipping boy. 

• Upvote 2

Or, you could just read the bill yourself, linked in post #178 of this thread.......   I have to warn you though, it's 4 pages long.

FU can't be too terribly underfunded if they can spend funds that are supposed to be used on academics to fund athletics. I hope this gets thrown back at your president the next time he starts whining about funding.

If FU would stop misusing funds, Port would have nothing to write about.

Your fight is with state of ND and the people who approved it.  Too bad no UND alumni thought enough of your athletic dept to donate funds to it for this purpose.  Are you going to whine about the 4 NC's too as it's a great recruiting advantage.

Your fight is with state of ND and the people who approved it. Too bad no UND alumni thought enough of your athletic dept to donate funds to it for this purpose. Are you going to whine about the 4 NC's too as it's a great recruiting advantage.

What? UND used up all if it's funds because it was able to get donations. FU had to claim athletic funds to get all their money because no one thinks enough of the academics to donate to the school.

Your fight is with state of ND and the people who approved it. Too bad no UND alumni thought enough of your athletic dept to donate funds to it for this purpose. Are you going to whine about the 4 NC's too as it's a great recruiting advantage.

No worries Dan, the funds aren't yet approved and it will be looked into further. I guess UND alumni and their administration can read and understand what "exclusively for the advancement of academics" means.

I'm waiting for the legislature to say that the funds were misused, and that a violation occurred related to how these funds were specified. I'm not going to hang my hat on a Rob Port article. What do you thinks Portly's intentions were in writing this article? No way he writes that article if UND were involved, and everyone here knows that. He's the head of propaganda train for everything und, and is without credibility from what I've seen him pen, and not pen.

Port has a grudge with the SBoHE, he takes UND task plenty. Don't believe everything you read on bisonville.

The bottom line for me is . . . would the Portly One have written this article if Minot, Dickenson and UND had all used these funds for this athletic purpose, and ndsu had not? That answer is a resounding NO, he would have seen no need to write that one. The intentions of this article is to smear NDSU, and for no other purpose. Nice picture on the article Mr. Portly. I'm looking forward to your article on the recent arrest of a track athlete at UND, and who's head should roll on that travesty.

Again, Port has taken many shots at UND. His disdain is with higher ed. Maybe NDSU should quite giving him all the opportunities to be written about. And I'm still waiting on all kinds of articles on NDSU's football programs. Coach getting a DUI a few weeks after being hired, multiple minors and even another theft case! I'm sure all of those are in the Forum's archives since they are so tough on FU.

No way he writes that article if UND were involved, and everyone here knows that. He's the head of propaganda train for everything und, and is without credibility from what I've seen him pen, and not pen.

Although Port is definitely one of NDSU's most famous alums, he just hates the higher ed system in this state and attacks it any chance he gets. He has taken UND to task numerous times as well.

• Upvote 2

My thoughts on the matching funds. Hats off to NDSU leadership for recognizing this and getting after the fundraising. This is completely UNDs fault for not looking into this further. $250,000 in scholarship money could sure go a long ways. Somebody should've did some double checking on this for UND right when the grants were first announced. NDSU obviously did and they have been rewarded to the tune of $250,000 plus in football scholarships...

UND should be looking in the mirror instead of complaining to the state. Disappointing to see from a UND perspective. 

My thoughts on the matching funds. Hats off to NDSU leadership for recognizing this and getting after the fundraising. This is completely UNDs fault for not looking into this further. $250,000 in scholarship money could sure go a long ways. Somebody should've did some double checking on this for UND right when the grants were first announced. NDSU obviously did and they have been rewarded to the tune of $250,000 plus in football scholarships...

UND should be looking in the mirror instead of complaining to the state. Disappointing to see from a UND perspective.

Yes. It's just terrible that und followed the law and, as a university, prioritized academics ahead of athletics, using up all of the funds allotted to them by the state. And doing all of this prior to ndsu, out of desperation to not lose the money, going around the law to use the funding for athletics, was just a huge mistake that should result in multiple heads rolling in grand forks.

Duh

• Upvote 4

Cool story, bro; the only problem is it might not be legal. I applaud UND for proceeding the way it has. There's a lot of good things happening on campus because of UND's dealings with the Challenge Fund.  

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  It was laid out in this thread what happened and what should have happened.  It was made explicitly clear to all that no athletic endowments are to be submitted but NDSU didn't have any other donations to use so they tried to push it through late and see what happened.  Well, they let them and two others do it for some reason.  

• Upvote 2

I did not read the entire thread, but I did read the quote below from Drew Wrigley in the paper today. Based on that it tells me NDSU didn't do anything wrong.  If it was made clear to all schools then why did multiple schools fund athletic scholarships? Based on that info, I think UND should've done some double checking. I will eat my words if the state comes back and takes these scholarships away from DSU, MSU, and NDSU, but I don't see that happening. 

Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley, who chairs the fund’s committee and brought the idea to the Legislature two years ago, said in an interview last week there’s “nothing in the statute that would encourage us to discriminate against students who are athletes.”

The fund wouldn’t cover sports-related projects such as upgrading locker rooms, but Wrigley argued that scholarships are different.

“It doesn’t get them a new football helmet or hockey stick or anything like that,” Wrigley said. “They’re not there to be football players, they’re there to be students, and you’ve got to have some way of paying for that tuition, fees and books.”

When the last time an athlete was given a scholarship to play a sport because of their grades.

Also, below is an article about NDSU leaders, including their president and their complaints regarding funding. In the article, they want more money for their students and academics. This money could have been used for that but at the end of the day they spend it on athletic scholarships. It's fine if they want to bend the intent of this bill but any future complaints of funding should be disregarded.

http://www.310tofargo.net/funding-fails-to-keep-pace-with-ndsus-growth/

I did not read the entire thread, but I did read the quote below from Drew Wrigley in the paper today. Based on that it tells me NDSU didn't do anything wrong. If it was made clear to all schools then why did multiple schools fund athletic scholarships? Based on that info, I think UND should've done some double checking. I will eat my words if the state comes back and takes these scholarships away from DSU, MSU, and NDSU, but I don't see that happening.

Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley, who chairs the fund’s committee and brought the idea to the Legislature two years ago, said in an interview last week there’s “nothing in the statute that would encourage us to discriminate against students who are athletes.”

The fund wouldn’t cover sports-related projects such as upgrading locker rooms, but Wrigley argued that scholarships are different.

“It doesn’t get them a new football helmet or hockey stick or anything like that,” Wrigley said. “They’re not there to be football players, they’re there to be students, and you’ve got to have some way of paying for that tuition, fees and books.”

Wrigley is politician in CYA mode.

I did not read the entire thread, but I did read the quote below from Drew Wrigley in the paper today. Based on that it tells me NDSU didn't do anything wrong.  If it was made clear to all schools then why did multiple schools fund athletic scholarships? Based on that info, I think UND should've done some double checking. I will eat my words if the state comes back and takes these scholarships away from DSU, MSU, and NDSU, but I don't see that happening. 

The section in the Century Code is entitled "The Advancement of Academics", not the advancement of athletics.  UND got all of the money it was eligible for and put the money into academics.  That is what the program was set up for, to put money into academics.  It appears that NDSU and the other 2 schools were having trouble raising enough matching funds for academics, so they got the last of their grants by filling athletic scholarships.  UND followed the intent and the letter of the law.  NDSU and the other 2 schools may or may not have followed the letter of the law, but they clearly didn't follow the intent of the law.