SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting advantage.

Siouxperfan7

Actually, the big difference is UND provides a lot more opportunities for student athletes, particularly on the women's side, in non-revenue sports. 

At UND last year, there were 449 total unduplicated participants in athletics with 244 being on the men's side and 205 being on the women's side. 

At NDSU, there were 411 total unduplicated participants in athletics with 282 on the men's side and 129 on the women's side. 

The breakdown on that is 54% men / 46% women at UND and 69% men / 31% women at NDSU. 

Both schools are at about a 54 men/46 women general undergraduate population ratio; yet, NDSU's athletics participant ratio is 69 men/31 women. 

JV Championships? In case you missed the memo, UND plays for those so-called "JV Championships" you speak of. You make yourself sound dumber than Dan.

This is good. Really good. We get a troll on here with many, many other bison jock sniffers, ripping UND athletics and every chance they get, and you are defending him? i know your intentions are good, but you're sure you're not drinking the kool-aid too?

This is good. Really good. We get a troll on here with many, many other bison jock sniffers, ripping UND athletics and every chance they get, and you are defending him? i know your intentions are good, but you're sure you're not drinking the kool-aid too?

It's not defending the bison trolls, it's defending the same division that we play in. You are showing your complete ignorance by even bringing this up as an argument. 

• Upvote 2

Don't you get it, you rip NDSU for being in the FCS you are also ripping UND for being in the same class. If you are a fan of UND athletics (including football) you would refrain from making asinine remarks.

You're posting in a UND football forum, calling the level UND football competes at JV.  Get your head out of your ass! 

• Upvote 1

FCS football is the second highest producer of talent for the NFL. Is NCAA hockey even second or is a Swedish league ahead of it and behind the Canadian juniors?

Don't you get it, you rip NDSU for being in the FCS you are also ripping UND for being in the same class. If you are a fan of UND athletics (including football) you would refrain from making asinine remarks.

o Good Lord C'mon! The only reason I am saying this is because of all the NDSU rubes pontificating that they can compete with Alabama, Ohio State, etc. And that is not from Bisonville. It is from people i have talked to and believe me they are DEAD serious! Some thin skin on this board.

FCS football is the second highest producer of talent for the NFL. Is NCAA hockey even second or is a Swedish league ahead of it and behind the Canadian juniors?

Since anywhere from 31-38% of the NHL played NCAA hockey, depending on the year, it is safe to say that the NCAA is a major supplier of talent.  I'm pretty sure that it is a higher percentage than the number of FCS players in the NFL.  In 2012 86.85% came from FBS while 8.32% came from FCS and 3.8% from Division II.

o Good Lord C'mon! The only reason I am saying this is because of all the NDSU rubes pontificating that they can compete with Alabama, Ohio State, etc. And that is not from Bisonville. It is from people i have talked to and believe me they are DEAD serious! Some thin skin on this board.

We know all about the "we want Bama" talk, but why rip on the level which UND also competes on. If you want to slam NDSU and its football "team" by all means go for it, we got your back, but when you slam the "FCS" you are on your own. 

Since anywhere from 31-38% of the NHL played NCAA hockey, depending on the year, it is safe to say that the NCAA is a major supplier of talent. I'm pretty sure that it is a higher percentage than the number of FCS players in the NFL. In 2012 86.85% came from FBS while 8.32% came from FCS and 3.8% from Division II.

What percentage came from Canada and from Sweden?

Since anywhere from 31-38% of the NHL played NCAA hockey, depending on the year, it is safe to say that the NCAA is a major supplier of talent. I'm pretty sure that it is a higher percentage than the number of FCS players in the NFL. In 2012 86.85% came from FBS while 8.32% came from FCS and 3.8% from Division II.

Also you can't just compair percentages like that when roster sizes are so different and the NFL has no farm teams for players to wallow in and crack the NHL one time.

First, FCS is what it is: the Football Championship Subdivision, not to be confused with the Football Bowl Subdivision (and the Bowl Championship Series). 

UND plays for the FCS title just as NDSU does. To degrade the FCS title is to degrade something that UND fans do covet. 

Now, to the point that 'jdub' was trying to make: NDSU is still using the "third prong" of the Title IX compliance methodology. Some (Hammersmith) will gladly try to justify it; however, very few NCAA schools are still using that "interests and abilities" approach. Most NCAA schools are using the "substantially proportional" test as that's most defensible if challenged in the courts. 

Background: The I&A is survey based. The survey methods and results are what have been challenged at other schools. The defense is that it takes the most effort; but, if the result allows for a 2:1 ratio (66/33 or more) is that what "equity" legislation intended? 

Actually, the big difference is UND provides a lot more opportunities for student athletes, particularly on the women's side, in non-revenue sports. 

At UND last year, there were 449 total unduplicated participants in athletics with 244 being on the men's side and 205 being on the women's side. 

At NDSU, there were 411 total unduplicated participants in athletics with 282 on the men's side and 129 on the women's side. 

The breakdown on that is 54% men / 46% women at UND and 69% men / 31% women at NDSU. 

Talk about a joke.  Would love to see the surveys that NDSU uses to justify that the "interest" for women's athletic opportunities are low that they can pull that off.  They continue to be one of the only schools in the nation that uses the outdated "Interest and Abilities" for compliance to Title IX.  Wonder if the growth in girls hockey within North Dakota and Minnesota is something that future students at NDSU would be interested in having an opportunity to participate in at the collegiate level...

It does seem interesting that the NDSU sports line-up hasn't changed in quite a while, even through the regional demographics change that jdub points out (in bold). Apparently their survey methods haven't picked up on that yet. 

• Upvote 2

Also you can't just compair percentages like that when roster sizes are so different and the NFL has no farm teams for players to wallow in and crack the NHL one time.

The minor leagues seem to have a similar breakdown, so using percentages seems to be the best way to compare all of professional hockey with all of professional football.  How else are you going to compare between sports?  You want total players?  Approximately 300 NHL players in 2011-2012 came from the NCAA out of less than 1,000 total NHL players.  In 2012, 162 players in the NFL came from FCS schools out of almost 2,000 total NFL players.

As far as Canadian versus others, I don't remember exact numbers but I believe that Canadian juniors supply somewhere in the mid to upper 40% range and everyone else is around 20%.  I think that 2011-2012 was approximately 46% Canadian juniors, 31% NCAA and 22% European plus US juniors and anyone else.  In the NFL approximately 67% came from the Big 5 conferences, 20% from the rest of FBS, 9% from FCS, 4% from Div II, and a few odd players from all other sources.  Again, NCAA hockey is much more important in supplying talent to the NHL than FCS football is in supplying talent to the NFL.

The minor leagues seem to have a similar breakdown, so using percentages seems to be the best way to compare all of professional hockey with all of professional football. How else are you going to compare between sports? You want total players? Approximately 300 NHL players in 2011-2012 came from the NCAA out of less than 1,000 total NHL players. In 2012, 162 players in the NFL came from FCS schools out of almost 2,000 total NFL players.

As far as Canadian versus others, I don't remember exact numbers but I believe that Canadian juniors supply somewhere in the mid to upper 40% range and everyone else is around 20%. I think that 2011-2012 was approximately 46% Canadian juniors, 31% NCAA and 22% European plus US juniors and anyone else. In the NFL approximately 67% came from the Big 5 conferences, 20% from the rest of FBS, 9% from FCS, 4% from Div II, and a few odd players from all other sources. Again, NCAA hockey is much more important in supplying talent to the NHL than FCS football is in supplying talent to the NFL.

But it's not the top level as some try and suggest. You could have made that argument in the early 2000s but not anymore. College hockey is nowhere near as chocked full of high end talent as it once was.
  • Upvote 1

But it's not the top level as some try and suggest. You could have made that argument in the early 2000s but not anymore. College hockey is nowhere near as chocked full of high end talent as it once was.

The first is the quote I originally responded to.  The second has nothing to do with the first and nothing to do with any of my responses.

Stuff like this just makes a guy want to throw your hands in the air and walk away.   Un Freaking Believable.   Why would you rip on what we play?