SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 FCS Playoffs

UND-FB-FAN

No, you're reading more into it than what's really there. While it is true that college football is more popular than college hockey, unless you've surveyed the viewers of the Coastal - NDSU game, you have no idea whether they are general college football fans, fans of FCS football, or fans of one of the schools involved or how many there were in each category. All we know is that more people watched that game than watched the NCAA frozen four final. In fact, twice as many.

I get what you are doing.  You are coming on here bragging about how many people watched the Bison play.  Implying but not actually saying it was because NDSU football is such a bil deal, millions tune in to watch them.  And at the same time riping college hockey because you have no vested interest in it.  I think its awesome that 1..2 million people watched an FCS playoff game.  Shows that FCS football is popular and I am glad my team plays at that level. So why your insults and arrogance were suttle, they are still there to pick up on.  And hey, thanks for coming over here to let every know!!

What is the percentage supposed to be representing

It's just a clumsy rehash of the "it's better to be a big fish in a small pond" argument UND fans have been making for years. Unfortunately, he can't find numbers that really make his point.

The percentage is apparently representing someone's lack of handle on valid statistics......

It's just a clumsy rehash of the "it's better to be a big fish in a small pond" argument UND fans have been making for years. Unfortunately, he can't find numbers that really make his point.

Yes.  He really does seem to be struggling.

I get what you are doing.  You are coming on here bragging about how many people watched the Bison play.  Implying but not actually saying it was because NDSU football is such a bil deal, millions tune in to watch them.  And at the same time riping college hockey because you have no vested interest in it.  I think its awesome that 1..2 million people watched an FCS playoff game.  Shows that FCS football is popular and I am glad my team plays at that level. So why your insults and arrogance were suttle, they are still there to pick up on.  And hey, thanks for coming over here to let every know!!

No, the argument was explicit: NDSU has gotten more media exposure from its football team than UND has from its hockey team. These TV ratings indirectly (since UND wasn't in the Frozen Four Finals last year) support that argument. 

Good point! It means nothing. I just find it funny that if ndsu football is supposedly the most relevant athletic team in the state, why do bison fans have to come here to defend their team's honor?

I have no idea.  I have never visited, or even commented on, any of their message boards. Is it the same over there -- anyone who knows?  Are there a lot of UND fans that troll their site?  I've just never had the interest. I guess I get enough of them over here. :silly:  

Ok boonie boy how about this one?

Ndsu football - 9 guys in the nfl this year - 60 ncaa scholarships - 15%

Und hockey - 13 guys in the NHL this year - 18 ncaa scholarships - 72%

9%?  Not bad for the University of Agriculture and Applied Science.   D-1 in name, but in reality we all know it's second tier.  That's pretty impressive for that level of football.

72% for UND Hockey.  That's to be expected.  It's one of the elite college hockey programs in the nation.

I was curious, so I looked it up. 

Ohio State ....32 players in the NFL.  Based on 85 scholarships:  38% 

That's to be expected from an elite football program in Division 1 sports.

Their 9 is more impressive considering they have FBS above them and UND is the top college hockey level

Top college hockey level is correct but ncaa d1 hockey as the number one feeder to the NHL is debatable. Canadian junior hockey produces more nhl'ers than ncaa d1 hockey.

I would hold off the not so close. I want to to know the answer for sure, but I counted on this site: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2014/ 352 FCS players were on NFL rosters for this season. The number is a little lower than it was at the beginning of the season. In 2012 there were just over 300 who played NCAA D1 hockey http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/21792005/college-hockey-players-increasing-in-number-importance-in-nhl%3Cspan%20class . Im sure that number is a little higher now this season. Also have to keep in mind NFL rosters are much bigger but just wanted to provide numbers. If anybody has the current NHL numbers thatd be great.

If those  numbers are accurate, a crazy amount of FCS players have made their way onto NFL rosters over the last 2 seasons! In 2012, 8.32% of players on NFL rosters came from the FCS ranks so if this number is accurate that has almost doubled to 16.2%. Amazing when you consider that last year the number had dropped to about 7%. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/22/in-fcs-huddle-nfl-all-fcs-team/   The number of college players in the NHL has grown quite a bit the last few seasons. 31% last year http://collegehockeyinc.com/in-the-nhl and over the last 7 years over 35% of players making their debut have come from the college ranks.

I am thinking the 352 number must have been training camp numbers when rosters are at 90 which would be around 12% and then after cuts with allowance for injured reserve and practice squads it settles in at about 8-9% which to me is still an impressive number when you think about it. that is roughly between 150-200 players that either by choice or by being overlooked by the FBS schools have made it to the NFL....there certainly is something to be said for developing at a FCS school where a player might start for 2-4 seasons versus maybe only starting for a year or 2 at a higher level.

No, the argument was explicit: NDSU has gotten more media exposure from its football team than UND has from its hockey team. These TV ratings indirectly (since UND wasn't in the Frozen Four Finals last year) support that argument. 

Yes.  I agree.  Not sure why you have to come over to a UND fan site to tell us that.  We all know this.  Do we wish UND would get that type of exposure, yes.  We get it.  Congrats.  What more do you want from us?!!

• Upvote 1

Why are people are bickering about number of fans at games hundreds of miles away?

Cool to have fans at games but goodness gracious people.

Hoe. Lee. Crap.

It's really gone off the rails when Johnboy seems the rational one.