SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ CC - Friday Gameday

AZSIOUX

3-1 UND 11:47 remaining in third.

UND seems to be giving up more chances this period. No time to go asleep.

Really missing some effort in the third, at least offensively.  Zane was the key tonight, saving bacon in the first and standing tall in the third as well.

We'll take the points, let's bring it tomorrow night and sweep this place!

GO SIOUX!!!

My observations from the Springs.

Caggiula takes way too many dumb penalties.  He needs to clean up his act.

Sioux took a number of penalties in the second period by not skating.  Lots of gliding and hooking going on.

Too many players with lack of effort at times, Parks, Pattyn - both got beat to the puck at times because they glided while the CC player skated.

Streaky game.  At times UND played extremely well and at times not so well.  The defense gave up way too many Grade A scoring opportunities, especially in the third.  McIntyre saved the team numerous times.  Passing was off for much of the game, likely due to the wider ice sheet changing their angles.  Team looked tired by half way through the third period.

Poolman looked good for a starting freshman.  He was by no means perfect, but he played pretty well.  This was MacMillan's best game so far.  Maybe having Pattyn on his line helped.  Stecher looked solid.  LaDue seemed to have issues at times.

So, there was some good in the game tonight, but also lots of room for improvement.  The best news is the team has the opportunity for a sweep.

• Upvote 1

I suppose every team suffers this at times, but our guys, IMO, have shown a tendency to glide into the corners and boards too often. As if the urgency level is not quite there until it has to be. The dmen do this at times when it looks like it is a positioning strategy they are taught, and it might be. I don't have the expertise to know.

Nice to get a Friday win on the road, though. Anywhere. Get four or more tonight.

My observations from the Springs.

Caggiula takes way too many dumb penalties. He needs to clean up his act.

Sioux took a number of penalties in the second period by not skating. Lots of gliding and hooking going on.

Too many players with lack of effort at times, Parks, Pattyn - both got beat to the puck at times because they glided while the CC player skated.

Streaky game. At times UND played extremely well and at times not so well. The defense gave up way too many Grade A scoring opportunities, especially in the third. McIntyre saved the team numerous times. Passing was off for much of the game, likely due to the wider ice sheet changing their angles. Team looked tired by half way through the third period.

Poolman looked good for a starting freshman. He was by no means perfect, but he played pretty well. This was MacMillan's best game so far. Maybe having Pattyn on his line helped. Stecher looked solid. LaDue seemed to have issues at times.

So, there was some good in the game tonight, but also lots of room for improvement. The best news is the team has the opportunity for a sweep.

Completely agree. The win felt good though.

From listening to TH it sounded like a pretty solid game with some periods of inconsistency and breakdowns and way too many penalties in the 2nd. Sounded like Zane was very solid as has come to be expected and the CC goal was because of a weird bounce of the boards. Seemed like Ausmus name was really called a lot tonight and he got a lot of minutes, he was solid as a freshman last year but it seems like he has taken a big step over the offseason and I know it is only 3 games but I think he has been our most consistent defenseman so far. 

From listening to TH it sounded like a pretty solid game with some periods of inconsistency and breakdowns and way too many penalties in the 2nd. Sounded like Zane was very solid as has come to be expected and the CC goal was because of a weird bounce of the boards. Seemed like Ausmus name was really called a lot tonight and he got a lot of minutes, he was solid as a freshman last year but it seems like he has taken a big step over the offseason and I know it is only 3 games but I think he has been our most consistent defenseman so far.

Ausmus looked good, physical presence and definitely took a step forward from last year

How old is TH? I will surely miss him when he's gone.

He remembers when ice was invented so then they had to invent trees to get wood for the first sticks. :D

Seriously, he's about 62-63. (Found an article from 2011 saying he was 59 then.) I thought he did a UND game in 1979 during the '79-'80 season. That'd be five decades or so.

Isn't that how it always is over here?

Yes, but people want to vent their frustration after a loss, especially one like last Friday, and this is where they can do so.  As long as people aren't bashing others on the forum, then criticism of the team in which they are a stakeholder (love that word) is perfectly fine, IMO.

I thought last night's game was sloppy, with way too many turnovers and penalties.  But, the effort was good, as was the result.  UND needs to clean up its act, defensively.  Can't rely on Zane to bail them out all the time.