Who should start?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Moll erg or Bartels

• Bartels
    • Mollberg
    • Hanson
    • Ivery
    • Other

And for those saying that Bartels was only successful against a weak Portland State defense, remember that UND didn't exactly light it up offensively against Stony Brook or Robert Morris.

But then who does against the best FCS defense in the nation? 

• Upvote 1

But then who does against the best FCS defense in the nation? 

According to the stats Stony Brook has a pretty good defense: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=12

They are top five in: Total Defense, Rushing Defense, Passing Yards Allowed, Scoring Defense, 3rd down conversion %, and 4th down conversion %. 

They happen to be number 1 in total defense category. 

• Upvote 1

According to the stats Stony Brook has a pretty good defense: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=12

They are top five in: Total Defense, Rushing Defense, Passing Yards Allowed, Scoring Defense, 3rd down conversion %, and 4th down conversion %. 

No, they are terrible because all the FCS genius's on this board have never heard of them.   Anyone who actually watched them play would understand.  

• Upvote 1

According to the stats Stony Brook has a pretty good defense: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=12

It's time for people to put the Stony Brook "jokes" to bed because apparently those assertions made earlier when UND played SB weren't so off after all. Stony Brook is a lot like UND; really good defense with a really bad offense.

It's time for people to put the Stony Brook "jokes" to bed because apparently those assertions made earlier when UND played SB weren't so off after all. Stony Brook is a lot like UND; really good defense with a really bad offense.

Is UND's offense really bad? Or is the other teams defense's really good?!

Is UND's offense really bad? Or is the other teams defense's really good?!

16 points vs. Robert Morris

Shut out vs Missouri State

6 offensive pts vs Stony Brook

11 offensive pts vs Montana State

8 offensive pts vs. Montana

UND's offense has work to do. Scoring 24 against Portland State was nice to see, but even 7 of those came via special teams and the QB who orchestrated it all is now going back to the bench.

Lots of work left for the UND offense to do.

• Upvote 1

Every opportunity Bartles have been given, he has beaten or excelled vs Mollberg.

One half this year Bartles beat Mollberg to scoring two touchdowns in one game. (Scoring Touchdowns = Pretty Important).

Last year Bartles Set UND freshman records in completions (39), attempts (59) and yards (367) and touchdowns (4) at Northern Arizona (Nov. 2) . 

Last year Bartles threw more Touchdown than Mollberg despite playing less games. And we are already seeing a pattern of that this year. 

My guess is Bartles must be pretty cocky and the coaching staffs don't like that. We have a massive body of work comparing the two in game situations and one clearly comes out on top.

Any one got one statistic showing Mollberg is better?

• Upvote 1

16 points vs. Robert Morris

Shut out vs Missouri State

6 offensive pts vs Stony Brook

11 offensive pts vs Montana State

8 offensive pts vs. Montana

UND's offense has work to do. Scoring 24 against Portland State was nice to see, but even 7 of those came via special teams and the QB who orchestrated it all is now going back to the bench.

Lots of work left for the UND offense to do.

Wasn't the first score (a field goal) led by Mollberg? I was thinking that was the drive he was injured, and that Bartels came in for the last play or two. Not sure on that, I guess. In any event, it's certainly true that the third quarter was probably the best the UND offense has looked this year. But I really can't second-guess Rudolph or Bubba if they are very hesitant to make a change of the starting quarterback based upon one quarter. At an absolute minimum, I think Mollberg gets the first half of the SUU game to show what he can do against a defense roughly the same caliber as Portland St. (on paper, anyway). If things go really poorly, Bartels may very well get another shot in the second half.

EDIT: I looked back at the boxscore, and the first scoring drive was 76 yards, and all of the yards were when Mollberg was in there. I realize that isn't going to change anybody's mind.

I lean towards giving starting Bartles but I am not on the coaching staff and I don't oversee practices. It sounds to me like the coaching staff sees Mollberg as having the greater upside even though Bartles is producing the best result at this point in time. My concern is that Bartles transfers out to somewhere where he can be the starter and it then takes Mollberg's junior and senior year for the staff to realize he never will realize his "upside".

• Upvote 1

Now why do ya gotta go do that?...

This type of thing isn't allowed in a discussion like this.

Having said that, we will see if it holds.

I lean towards giving starting Bartles but I am not on the coaching staff and I don't oversee practices. It sounds to me like the coaching staff sees Mollberg as having the greater upside even though Bartles is producing the best result at this point in time. My concern is that Bartles transfers out to somewhere where he can be the starter and it then takes Mollberg's junior and senior year for the staff to realize he never will realize his "upside".

Or....

Neither one starts next year

• Upvote 2

If Bartles doesn't get the next start the coaching staff is basically telling him "hey kid stick around here and ride the pine because you will never get a chance to start no matter what you do".  Wouldn't blame Bartles if he told the coaches to pound sand right now and transfered.  

• Upvote 4

#buttpractice

• Upvote 1

Now why do ya gotta go do that?...

This type of thing isn't allowed in a discussion like this.

Having said that, we will see if it holds.

It appears I stirred the pot this morning with some facts  ;)

I am also interested to see if their defense holds. They do have a terrible offense but as it stands they have a top tier defense and it bothered me to see some posters disregard them because they are simply not familiar with them. I honestly wasn't surprised that we had difficulty moving the ball against them. I still think they will end up being the toughest defense we play all year.

Our offense seems to be steadily improving and I do not care who plays QB as long as they compete and deliver when needed. If we can continue to improve on offense then we have a good shot of putting up some points because I believe the toughest defenses in SB and Montana, are behind us. (Missouri State we just played like a steaming pile so tough to gauge that D)

• Upvote 1