SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Homecoming: Portland State vs. UND

UND-FB-FAN

Portland State Vikings enter the game with a 2-3 record. Two of those loses came to Pac-12 schools in Oregon State (29-14) and Washington State (59-21). The other loss came to Big Sky Conference opponent Cal Poly in a blowout (42-14). Both of Portland State's victories came at home against Western Oregon (45-38) and UC Davis (23-14). The UC Davis game was their most recent game (Oct. 4).

UND is coming off their most emotional loss of the season; it will be interesting to see how they respond. Do they play flat after the disappointing loss or do they play tough resilient football looking for that first conference win?

One thing of note: Portland State has yet to win on the road and the Alerus has potential to be loud again as it is homecoming. Look forward to seeing great effort by UND's defense assisted by crowd noise, and hopefully improved offensive play. UND needs a win to get some confidence and move towards an overall .500 record (6-6) after two tough conference loses.

Sourcehttp://www.goviks.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Two big questions...can UND's D score a TD in it's 4th straight game and can UND's O finally score more TD's than its own defense does in a game? If the answer is yes to both UND wins Saturday.

Interestingly, Portland St. was one of the few teams last year against whom UND actually played pretty well defensively, shutting them out for the first three quarters before giving up two late touchdowns to lose 14-10. I feel pretty good about UND bouncing back from an emotional loss and putting together another outstanding defensive performance, while showing more consistency on offense. I think Mollberg is going to have his best game of the season, and UND gets the w.

I watched part of their game against UC Davis and they seem to like to run the ball with their QB. If our defense keeps playing with an edge we have a shot. I think the offense if finally starting to find themselves. I am looking forward to Saturday.

From here on out every game is winable.

UND needs to end a disturbing trend in which they have lost the past 4 homecoming games. 

Offense needs to take the next step and the D needs to keep their foot on the gas.  Next two games are crucial if they want a legit shot of going at least 6-6 and 4-4 in conference play.

in the game last year, they put a lot of pressure on our QB.  I saw that Barton was limping off of the field after Saturdays game.  the o-line play will definitely factor in this game if the blitz like they did last year.  hope Rudolph has a few more fresh ideas up his sleeve.

With the possible exception of Woodsmall, injurywise it seems like we  came out of the Montana game in pretty good shape.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Shaugabay back this week.

Was great to hear that Kuksa accompanied the team to Montana State (as equip. manager, I think I read) last week, so he must be in school.  It would be great if the doctors would let him play next year after a year and a half layoff to heal.

in the game last year, they put a lot of pressure on our QB.  I saw that Barton was limping off of the field after Saturdays game.  the o-line play will definitely factor in this game if the blitz like they did last year.  hope Rudolph has a few more fresh ideas up his sleeve.

How about Anderson? Is he expected out for awhile?

How about Anderson? Is he expected out for awhile?

I heard that it was an illness rather than an injury for Anderson so hopefully he can recover quickly.  I thought Brandon Miller did well last week against Montana's defense in place of Anderson. 

I heard that it was an illness rather than an injury for Anderson so hopefully he can recover quickly.  I thought Brandon Miller did well last week against Montana's defense in place of Anderson. 

Absolutely, nice to see UND be able to play physical and run the ball (Norberg had 73 yards rushing) despite UND's best offensive lineman missing the game. Should help build better depth along the OL with Brandon Miller getting that valuable playing time. 

I think UND wins this game.  Their offense obviously is questionable but if the defense can keep it up again Portland won't score much.

It's just mind boggling....could you ever imagine anyone making that statement about UND's D last year?

• Upvote 1

Every time I think about it, the more amazed I am at how big of a turnaround UND's defense has had.  UND wins this game against PSU and it won't be close.

It really would be nice to see us beat PSU by a couple scores...at this point I am happy with wins no matter how they come.

UND needs to end a disturbing trend in which they have lost the past 4 homecoming games. 

Offense needs to take the next step and the D needs to keep their foot on the gas.  Next two games are crucial if they want a legit shot of going at least 6-6 and 4-4 in conference play.

Last 4 homecomings:

2013:  Lost 35-14 to Eastern Washington

2012: Lost 45-38 to Northern Arizona

2011: Lost 23-19 to Cal Poly (UND was ranked 18/20)

2010: Lost 31-21 to Southern Utah

Last win

2009: 27-12 to South Dakota

Last 4 homecomings:

2013:  Lost 35-14 to Eastern Washington

2012: Lost 45-38 to Northern Arizona

2011: Lost 23-19 to Cal Poly (UND was ranked 18/20)

2010: Lost 31-21 to Southern Utah

Last win

2009: 27-12 to South Dakota

4 straight homecoming losses is a record that Muss can hang his hat on.

• Upvote 1

A bit hard to believe, but Portland St. opens as a 3-point favorite.

I won't say my prediction until Friday or so but I really doubt Portland State can keep this one close. Homecoming excitement/noise plus the way the defense is playing will make the Alerus a living hell for Portland State...