SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Griz Blackout Game Day Thread

geaux_sioux

Going off topic here, I was kind of surprised that Western Illinois made it so close.  I'd still be surprised to see FU lose a game, much less two, this year.  

I don't believe in "moral victories" myself.  Whether it be UND for coming close against Montana or even Western Ill coming up close in yesterday's game.  However, i do believe I am seeing a trend in UND's football program.  The biggest is in not giving up and following a game plan laid out by a competent coaching staff.  If this continues, the gap between UND and Fargo will grow smaller in a relatively short period of time.  

If you mean by gap closing it going from a 5-6 touchdown gap like last year to a 2-3 touchdown game next year, I agree. If you mean it will be a pick-em game in the next 2-3 years I think you are overly optimistic.   

Labat had a monster game. 4.5 tfl and a sack.

He's only a soph, Rich is a soph, Rattelle is a Jr, Idowu is a jr..... Reyes is a FR, Dranka and Greely are TFR, Hinojosa is a soph..... I only see two holes that need filling. CB and SS. Anyone think that was the case heading into this season?

Labat had a monster game. 4.5 tfl and a sack.

He's only a soph, Rich is a soph, Rattelle is a Jr, Idowu is a jr..... Reyes is a FR, Dranka and Greely are TFR, Hinojosa is a soph..... I only see two holes that need filling. CB and SS. Anyone think that was the case heading into this season?

Definitely not. Schmidt has proven to be one heck of a defensive coordinator. Why were some of these guys not playing more last season? I believe Labat was injured, but I'm wondering how Rattelle wasn't starting, and Rich and C. Brown were basically not playing at all?

He has the most talent to ever come through here at QB. I was proud of how he matured for his senior year and he put on an absolute show against PSU in his first start and and even better one against FBS SDSU. He was the best QB on our roster that year.

Don't really agree with this. Hendrickson wasn't anything too special; Braden Hanson was better given his statistics.

Plus, Hendrickson played poorly in a big game versus Cal Poly in 2012 that could have led to some big momentum. 

• Upvote 1

At least one Sioux fan admits they are into moral victories. I would have a problem with my starting QB saying after the game that "we outplayed them the entire game" when his offense may not have had 100 yards of total offense in the first 3 quarters. 

Didn't admit that. Point is, UND has played much closer to Montana and Montana State this season relative to last year; thus, they are showing improvement. Also, considering the lesser opponents UND plays coming up, wins should start to stack up. It's all just very promising given the outlook of the season, but by no way is yesterday's game satisfying morally. UND has a chance to be a winning football team this year which means 2015 is already looking like a possible playoff year. 

Definitely not. Schmidt has proven to be one heck of a defensive coordinator. Why were some of these guys not playing more last season? I believe Labat was injured, but I'm wondering how Rattelle wasn't starting, and Rich and C. Brown were basically not playing at all?

The defense is darn good. Plus they will only improve given the youth. 

Also, nice to see the offense is improving a little bit with a better short-passing game. 

If you mean by gap closing it going from a 5-6 touchdown gap like last year to a 2-3 touchdown game next year, I agree. If you mean it will be a pick-em game in the next 2-3 years I think you are overly optimistic.   

The gap for next year's game is closing each and every week this season as UND continues to improve. 

Definitely not. Schmidt has proven to be one heck of a defensive coordinator. Why were some of these guys not playing more last season? I believe Labat was injured, but I'm wondering how Rattelle wasn't starting, and Rich and C. Brown were basically not playing at all?

I kept thinking about this yesterday. How could C. Brown not get a shot last season? How did the coaches develop him this much only working with him last spring and fall? Our player development was really lacking under the previous staff. I'm excited CBrown is only a junior.

Don't really agree with this. Hendrickson wasn't anything too special; Braden Hanson was better given his statistics.

Plus, Hendrickson played poorly in a big game versus Cal Poly in 2012 that could have led to some big momentum.

I remember the defense stinking it up big time in that game, Marcus missed throws in that one but also made plays.

15 TD passes for each, 7 INTs for hanson to 3 for Hendrickson who was also our leading rusher in three of his starts.

I kept thinking about this yesterday. How could C. Brown not get a shot last season? How did the coaches develop him this much only working with him last spring and fall? Our player development was really lacking under the previous staff. I'm excited CBrown is only a junior.

And Labat getting moved outside and Rich inside. Reineke? Cummings? They have better stats this year than their careers coming into the season.

I remember the defense stinking it up big time in that game, Marcus missed throws in that one but also made plays.

15 TD passes for each, 7 INTs for hanson to 3 for Hendrickson who was also our leading rusher in three of his starts.

If you put together a list of the top 10 QB's in UND history, Hendrickson would not even be on it. FACT

• Upvote 3

If you put together a list of the top 10 QB's in UND history, Hendrickson would not even be on it. FACT

Because he only had 5 starts, fact. Physical gifts, he's on a list by himself. Those guys that are the actual all time greats had the leadership and maturity that Marcus lacked in his career. Those two qualities go a long way with qbs. Also those guys were damn good.

Did they play last year? I don't think so. The only way to achieve a 5-6 touchdown gap is to actually play the game and beat the other team by 5-6 touchdowns. Projecting what you think might happen if they played doesn't count. Sorry. Just another example of why NDSU football has the most arrogant fans of any pro or college team in any sport.

Remember who you are dealing with. To steal a quote that is again fits this particular FU poster, "the way things are right now is the way they will always be".

• Upvote 1

He has the most talent to ever come through here at QB. I was proud of how he matured for his senior year and he put on an absolute show against PSU in his first start and and even better one against FBS SDSU. He was the best QB on our roster that year.

Wasn't even close to "most talent". Klancher, Kovash,, Klosterman, Manke and Wahl were all much better. He was one of the most gifted athletes but didn't get it done in film room and blamed coaches for his lack of playing time. He showed signs of potential but was too inconsistent until his senior year when he seemed to realize he was his own biggest barrier to his own success. He put in the time in film room and started to show the potential he had all along. Hanson was better QB until he broke his ankle. Had Marcus done as a freshman and Soph that he did as a Sr. you might have a case.

This UND fans sees no moral victories in the last two games. I see:

- games that were winnable save for controllable mistakes

- too many penalties (v Montana)

- too many bad snaps (both games)

- too many poor throws to open targets (both games)

- too many missed assignments (both games)

But most importantly, I see:

- Progress, day by day

This team needs one more piece to the puzzle: They need to win one of these games so they get into an "expect to win" mindset. They've proven to themselves they are capable; they need to close the deal. That too will come ...

Day. By. Day.

And to our NDSU fans on this site: Keep looking at that outside passenger side mirror, but don't believe the writing on it. ;)

• Upvote 1

To the folks upset with UND's play calling yesterday, quite simply, listening to the radio team during the game, they nailed it:

UND's passing game right now is play action. You have to get the defense to acknowledge the run for the passing game to be effective.

My only wish for the offense is that they'd decide to push a little earlier in the game. The fourth quarter is a touch late (as shown by the last two outcomes.)

It is kind of sad how some Bison fans have such incomplete lives they have to come over to a Sioux site....and continue to gloat.   Get a life. 

I pointed this out last night, but was told by a certain "fan" to "shut up" and "knock it off" because FU has won "29 games in a row".  I agree with you 100%; why are they on this forum if they have "moved on"?

• Upvote 1

I just wish that Mollberg would have more than one read. To me and my non-elite football mind, he is always just looking at one receiver and if that receiver is not open he will either force it to him, hold on to it too long and get sacked, or scramble for a couple yards. I could be wrong about this but that is just what i see usually.
  • Upvote 1

I just wish that Mollberg would have more than one read. To me and my non-elite football mind, he is always just looking at one receiver and if that receiver is not open he will either force it to him, hold on to it too long and get sacked, or scramble for a couple yards. I could be wrong about this but that is just what i see 

I have been thinking the same thing. Few times there were open recievers who weren't even looked at as he was staring down the receiver. I think he did a better job yesterday as there wasn't as many defenders trying to jump the routes, and the 2pt conversiion he found the guy who was calling for the ball while he was trying to scramble.

• Upvote 1

I just wish that Mollberg would have more than one read. To me and my non-elite football mind, he is always just looking at one receiver and if that receiver is not open he will either force it to him, hold on to it too long and get sacked, or scramble for a couple yards. I could be wrong about this but that is just what i see usually.

Couldn't agree more - one of his first passes he looked left, stared down the receiver, and threw into double coverage - probably should have been picked.  I think we've seen the type of play calling that helps him be successful and it isn't second and 9, third and 7.  On the other hand, he threw some great passes - the physical talent is there.  

• Upvote 1

The game went as I expected - D v/s D with the outcome decided by a few quirky plays and the way the refs called the game.  I noticed 3 things:

1) You guys really do have a really good D.

2) Big sky refs are bad enough that it may well have effected the outcome (either way).

3) # 51 celebrating after being called on a personal foul where one of the opposition's key players was injured was totally classless.

The game went as I expected - D v/s D with the outcome decided by a few quirky plays and the way the refs called the game. I noticed 3 things:

1) You guys really do have a really good D.

2) Big sky refs are bad enough that it may well have effected the outcome (either way).

3) # 51 celebrating after being called on a personal foul where one of the opposition's key players was injured was totally classless.

Had to throw that last one in. How would a player know another is injured immediately after a play is over? BTW, he stepped on JJs ankle. Hardly a cheap shot.

No mention of the two 15 yard penalties on UND vs your receivers that were horrible calls and kept drives going?

• Upvote 1