SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

Pelini has to go. The Nebraska of old would be steamrolling teams that Pelini is either losing to (Minny) or barely beating (McNeese St). Osborne better fire him after the season is done.

Some big Big BIG job opportunities coming up in a few weeks: Florida, Michigan, and Nebraska, to name a few.

Pelini has to go. The Nebraska of old would be steamrolling teams that Pelini is either losing to (Minny) or barely beating (McNeese St). Osborne better fire him after the season is done.

I don't know if Nebraska will ever be the Nebraska of old again even if they do let Pelini go and get a different coach. I was happy to see for the 2nd year in a row though that the Gophers were just able to outphysical Nebraska on their way to a win.

Nebraska has the problem that many big time money schools face.  They can't hoard players like in the 80s and 90s.  

Maybe someone can answer this though.  Wisconsin gets who they want from their state being the only d1 program.  Is it still the same for Nebraska?  Is their high school fb down?

Pelini has been solid each season, but not where that school is used to.

Nebraska has the problem that many big time money schools face.  They can't hoard players like in the 80s and 90s.  

Maybe someone can answer this though.  Wisconsin gets who they want from their state being the only d1 program.  Is it still the same for Nebraska?  Is their high school fb down?

Pelini has been solid each season,

Traditional power houses arent what they used to be. There is more parity. All of the bigs now have strength and conditioning coaches.

There was a time when a school like Ohio State would recruit a player that Michigan wanted just to keep him off Michigans team and never would see playing time. Then they capped scholarships at 85. Those 25-30 players who now cant be schollies have to find a home someplace.

Plus the power of a conference swings from conference to conference over time.

Boise St. demolishing Wyoming 56-7 on the road and it's still the 3rd quarter!  I wonder if Craig "Mr. Clean" Bohl is having any second thoughts about leaving FU?

Considering how much more money he's making and it's his first year. I doubt it.

There wasn't much more he could have accomplished with NDSU. You leave (sell) when you're at the top.

Considering how much more money he's making and it's his first year. I doubt it.

There wasn't much more he could have accomplished with NDSU. You leave (sell) when you're at the top.

And what if he gets fired like Joe Glenn did?  Is anyone else at the FBS level going to give him a chance?  His career is on the line with the Cowboys and I don't like his chances.  I would have stuck with FU until a better job (Iowa, Iowa State) opened up and this time of year, they often start opening up.  Brian Kelly made some good choices as he moved up the FBS coaching ladder and now he's coaching at Notre Dame (I can't stand the Fighting Irish, but coaching there is a big deal).

And what if he gets fired like Joe Glenn did?  Is anyone else at the FBS level going to give him a chance?  His career is on the line with the Cowboys and I don't like his chances.  I would have stuck with FU until a better job (Iowa, Iowa State) opened up and this time of year, they often start opening up.  Brian Kelly made some good choices as he moved up the FBS coaching ladder and now he's coaching at Notre Dame (I can't stand the Fighting Irish, but coaching there is a big deal).

Despite what the rubes from the south kept trying to convince themselves, it was going to be nearly impossible to get a legitimate P5 job jumping from FCS.  Big time boosters have egos that get in the way.  Wyoming is a stepping stone even if its only for 2-3 years.

And what if he gets fired like Joe Glenn did? Is anyone else at the FBS level going to give him a chance? His career is on the line with the Cowboys and I don't like his chances. I would have stuck with FU until a better job (Iowa, Iowa State) opened up and this time of year, they often start opening up. Brian Kelly made some good choices as he moved up the FBS coaching ladder and now he's coaching at Notre Dame (I can't stand the Fighting Irish, but coaching there is a big deal).

Brian Kelly was coaching in the P5 at the age of 46. His Wyoming-esque job he got at 43.

Bohl is a few years older than Kelly and got his "break" ten years after him.

Might not be a good idea to compare the two situations.

And what if he gets fired like Joe Glenn did? Is anyone else at the FBS level going to give him a chance? His career is on the line with the Cowboys and I don't like his chances. I would have stuck with FU until a better job (Iowa, Iowa State) opened up and this time of year, they often start opening up. Brian Kelly made some good choices as he moved up the FBS coaching ladder and now he's coaching at Notre Dame (I can't stand the Fighting Irish, but coaching there is a big deal).

You mentioned Brian Kelly. Who also worked his way up the ranks going to Central Michigan. "What if Brian Kelly got fired there? He should have stayed at Grand Valley?"

It's nearly impossible to jump coaching FCS to head coach at a BCS school. Same as many people here would not have wanted to get a d2 head coach. Usually hire FCS or FBS assistant coaches.

You mentioned Brian Kelly. Who also worked his way up the ranks going to Central Michigan. "What if Brian Kelly got fired there? He should have stayed at Grand Valley?"

It's nearly impossible to jump coaching FCS to head coach at a BCS school. Same as many people here would not have wanted to get a d2 head coach. Usually hire FCS or FBS assistant coaches.

Which school offers a better chance at being successful?  Central Michigan or Wyoming?  The answer is pretty obvious.

Brian Kelly was coaching in the P5 at the age of 46. His Wyoming-esque job he got at 43.

Bohl is a few years older than Kelly and got his "break" ten years after him.

Might not be a good idea to compare the two situations.

Okay, how about this for a comparison.  Joe Glenn wins two D-II titles at Northern Colorado and one FCS title at Montana.  Then he gets the Wyoming head coach job.  He couldn't work his magic there (no big surprise) and he was fired.  And he hasn't gotten so much as a sniff at FBS ball since.  That is the risk Bohl is taking; I hope it works out for him.

Okay, how about this for a comparison. Joe Glenn wins two D-II titles at Northern Colorado and one FCS title at Montana. Then he gets the Wyoming head coach job. He couldn't work his magic there (no big surprise) and he was fired. And he hasn't gotten so much as a sniff at FBS ball since. That is the risk Bohl is taking; I hope it works out for him.

I can't quite figure out if you're more anti-Wyoming or anti-Craig Bohl...

Okay, how about this for a comparison.  Joe Glenn wins two D-II titles at Northern Colorado and one FCS title at Montana.  Then he gets the Wyoming head coach job.  He couldn't work his magic there (no big surprise) and he was fired.  And he hasn't gotten so much as a sniff at FBS ball since.  That is the risk Bohl is taking; I hope it works out for him.

He was also almost 60 after his 6 years in Wyoming.  He had more or less retired until USD begged him to come out of retirement. 

Here's some numbers to chew on: Since 2004, there has been exactly 3 coaches that have went from FCS or lower to a P5 school:

Mike London (Virginia from Richmond) - was a former player

Paul Wulff (Washington State from EWU) - was a former player

Jim Harbaugh (Stanford from San Diego)

There's also been 15 other hires by FBS schools that have where the coach was from the FCS or lower (including Bohl) in that time frame.  Here's the list: North Texas, Rice, UAB, Army(x2), New Mexico State, Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, NIU, San Jose State, UNLV, Wyoming and Georgia State. 

Not exactly any dream destinations and two of the three that actually went into the P5 were former players with the third being Jim Harbaugh (who has pretty decent bloodlines and his dad was at one point the DC at Stanford).

I honestly don't care about either one; I just don't know if Bohl taking that job was a wise choice. I guess we'll see.

Let's see...base salary at NDSU of just over $200K where the program will at some point fail to meet the expectation of national championships every season...vs a base salary of $750K per year at Wyoming to try to build something at that school...

I'll give you a different coaching example: in 1979, this school's football program was on its last legs. In fact, the school almost dropped football altogether. Four year's later, this school's last-gasp coaching hire rode off on his players' shoulders following an Orange Bowl victory and national championship. The school that almost dropped football in the late 1970's is today known as "The U" and that coach was Howard Schnellenberger.

Let's see...base salary at NDSU of just over $200K where the program will at some point fail to meet the expectation of national championships every season...vs a base salary of $750K per year at Wyoming to try to build something at that school...

I'll give you a different coaching example: in 1979, this school's football program was on its last legs. In fact, the school almost dropped football altogether. Four year's later, this school's last-gasp coaching hire rode off on his players' shoulders following an Orange Bowl victory and national championship. The school that almost dropped football in the late 1970's is today known as "The U" and that coach was Howard Schnellenberger.

I think Miami, FL is an easier place to recruit than Laramie, WY.  Jimmy Johnson talked about this in his book "Turning The Thing Around" (a very good read, btw).  Schnellenberger and Johnson established what was known as "The State of Miami"; an area of south Florida that was neck-deep in High School FB talent.  Wyoming doesn't have that kind of access to top-notch FBS talent.  And their weather is the polar opposite of south Florida.  The U was in the perfect place to engineer a turn around like that.  If Bohl can establish a consistent winning program (6-5, 7-4 seasons with trips to bowl games), that would boost his stock big-time.  I just think he has a long, hard climb ahead of him.

Not much change in the CFB Playoff Poll this week but a couple non power 5 teams do finally enter the poll in Boise State and Marshall.

1.Alabama 2.Oregon 3.Florida State 4.Mississippi State 5.TCU 6.Ohio State 7.Baylor 8.UCLA 9.Georgia 10.Michigan State 11.Arizona 12.Kansas State 13.Arizona State 14.Wisconsin 15.Auburn 16.Georgia Tech 17.Missouri 18.Minnesota 19.Ole Miss 20.Oklahoma 21.Clemson 22.Louisville 23.Boise State 24.Marshall 25.Utah