SiouxSports.com Forum

FBS games

darell1976

So let me get this straight......you take the top 7 teams in the Big 10, pit them against the SEC west, or the SEC East for that matter, and you say the Big 10 comes out on top?

If we took the top 7 from the B1G and top 7 from the SEC we would have something like:

Alabama vs. Ohio State

Miss State vs. Michigan State

Ole Miss vs. Wisconsin

Georgia vs. Nebraska

Missouri vs. Minnesota

Auburn vs. Iowa

Texas A&M vs. Maryland

I would give the B1G teams a decent chance to win 3 or 4 of those matchups.

I'm only a hater because they are given an inordinate amount of attention. That inordinate amount of attention is a result of a major contract between the SEC and ESPN. 

Year in and year out Notre Dame seems to get ranked pretty highly midway through the season, then they tank and so does their ranking. Why do they get ranked high to begin with? Media exposure. Same thing, just on a conference level with the SEC. 

Right because they have the recent hardware to back up the attention.

Mississippi St. currently ranked 4th. What exactly about their schedule makes them a top 4 team over the likes of TCU, Baylor, or Ohio State? Their out-of-conference schedule is a joke and looking at their schedule they have two teams in the current top 25 they've played. Beat one, lost to another. 

Why are they ranked 4th? 

The only patsie in the SEC is Vandy, and that is somewhat of a stretch. For sure they would work over Nebraska, just ask Melvin Gordon. Wisconsin is clearly the best team in the big 10. I mean good lord the gerbils lost to Illinois!!! Every analyst I have watched this year has the Big 10 ranked dead last, by a wide margin, against the other 4 power conferences. 

If you have watched recently a lot of analysts have started to say they made a mistake by judging the Big 10 to be horrible after 1 week of play and it is a lot stronger than they thought. The Big 10 does have 5 teams still ranked in the top 25 according to the playoff committee. I watch almost every Gopher game the loss at Illinois was just a horribly played game with a bunch unforced miscues and guys sick and throwing up on the sideline but they still should have won that game and would have if not for a late fumble inside their own 20 that Illinois was able to scoop up and score on.

The only patsie in the SEC is Vandy, and that is somewhat of a stretch. For sure they would work over Nebraska, just ask Melvin Gordon. Wisconsin is clearly the best team in the big 10. I mean good lord the gerbils lost to Illinois!!! Every analyst I have watched this year has the Big 10 ranked dead last, by a wide margin, against the other 4 power conferences.

Vandy would work over Nebraska? You have lost your marbles.

National Championships are a joke in FBS football. The teams that play in the game are based on ranking. SEC teams drop the least when losing to in-conference opponents. The teams then wait over a month to play. Of course that means whoever wins that game must belong to the best conference ever. 

If we took the top 7 from the B1G and top 7 from the SEC we would have something like:

Alabama vs. Ohio State

Miss State vs. Michigan State

Ole Miss vs. Wisconsin

Georgia vs. Nebraska

Missouri vs. Minnesota

Auburn vs. Iowa

Texas A&M vs. Maryland

I would give the B1G teams a decent chance to win 3 or 4 of those matchups.

alabama destroys OSU (OSU's QB is terrible and nobody other than Auburn can run on Bama).  Miss State handles MSU.  Olse Miss takes down Wisc quite easily (Ole MIss defense is old and solid, Wisc couldn't run on them and I've witnessed Wisc's passing game).  UGA beats Nebraska (UGA can play down to their opponents but they'll still win). Mizzu crushes the rodents, Auburn hangs 50 on the hawkeyes and A&M drops 50 on Maryland.

I think we are missing some solid teams here?  Kentucky and Arkansas beat all the Big10 teams except OSU, Wisc and maybe Nebraska (but it would be close). Same with SC.  Kentucky can hang with the big boys as far as their O goes.  Additionally you forgot LSU who would probably beat the entire big ten except maybe OSU (they already beat Wisc and played terribly doing it).

Wisconsin was dominating LSU until they lost their top RB (who happens to be one of the best in the country). LSU then mounts a comeback as the Wisconsin offense stalls. Of course that translates to LSU being so much better and able to dominate the rest of the Big 10 and any other conference (just inferring the typical SEC fan response). 

Wisconsin was dominating LSU until they lost their top RB (who happens to be one of the best in the country). LSU then mounts a comeback as the Wisconsin offense stalls. Of course that translates to LSU being so much better and able to dominate the rest of the Big 10 and any other conference (just inferring the typical SEC fan response). 

I watched the entire game.  I saw who the better team was. 

alabama destroys OSU (OSU's QB is terrible and nobody other than Auburn can run on Bama).  Miss State handles MSU.  Olse Miss takes down Wisc quite easily (Ole MIss defense is old and solid, Wisc couldn't run on them and I've witnessed Wisc's passing game).  UGA beats Nebraska (UGA can play down to their opponents but they'll still win). Mizzu crushes the rodents, Auburn hangs 50 on the hawkeyes and A&M drops 50 on Maryland.

I think we are missing some solid teams here?  Kentucky and Arkansas beat all the Big10 teams except OSU, Wisc and maybe Nebraska (but it would be close). Same with SC.  Kentucky can hang with the big boys as far as their O goes.  Additionally you forgot LSU who would probably beat the entire big ten except maybe OSU (they already beat Wisc and played terribly doing it).

How much Big 10 football have you watched? JT Barrett is a legit Heisman contender for a reason and it isn't because he can't throw. The post I responded to said the top 7 teams in each conference so I just looked at the top 7 for matchups and had to decide whether to put A&M in or LSU or Florida and Maryland or Michigan. I can't see Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, and LSU beating many of the top 5 in the B1G and yes LSU beat Wisconsin because Wisconsin blew the game and watching both teams the last couple weeks LSU looks like pretty much the same team while Wisconsin looks much improved as for my opinion on the 7 matchups:

Alabama vs. Ohio State: Kind of a toss up but I would probably pick Alabama in a close game

Miss State vs. Michigan State: I'd go with Michigan State I'm not sold on Miss State at all

Ole Miss vs. Wisconsin: Another toss up Ole Miss D is very solid but Wallace can be up and down and the loss of Treadwell hurts

Georgia vs. Nebraska: Probably a shootout both teams D are very inconsistent I'd take Georgia

Missouri vs. Minnesota: I'd take the Gophers by about a TD

Auburn vs. Iowa: Auburn just because Iowa has been inconsistent and had some trouble with speed stuff and outside running

A&M vs. Maryland: Toss up A&M's defense is horrible and Maryland is an inconsistent team.

How much Big 10 football have you watched? JT Barrett is a legit Heisman contender for a reason and it isn't because he can't throw. The post I responded to said the top 7 teams in each conference so I just looked at the top 7 for matchups and had to decide whether to put A&M in or LSU or Florida and Maryland or Michigan. I can't see Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, and LSU beating many of the top 5 in the B1G and yes LSU beat Wisconsin because Wisconsin blew the game and watching both teams the last couple weeks LSU looks like pretty much the same team while Wisconsin looks much improved as for my opinion on the 7 matchups:

Alabama vs. Ohio State: Kind of a toss up but I would probably pick Alabama in a close game

Miss State vs. Michigan State: I'd go with Michigan State I'm not sold on Miss State at all

Ole Miss vs. Wisconsin: Another toss up Ole Miss D is very solid but Wallace can be up and down and the loss of Treadwell hurts

Georgia vs. Nebraska: Probably a shootout both teams D are very inconsistent I'd take Georgia

Missouri vs. Minnesota: I'd take the Gophers by about a TD

Auburn vs. Iowa: Auburn just because Iowa has been inconsistent and had some trouble with speed stuff and outside running

A&M vs. Maryland: Toss up A&M's defense is horrible and Maryland is an inconsistent team.

Omg.  Ok I'll admit we don't see things eye to eye :).  But I will conclude that Barret is just not that good.  OSU's schedule is soft and they play soft defenses (I did watch the MN vs OSU game last week).  Barret does it with his legs....like all OSU QB's.

Omg.  Ok I'll admit we don't see things eye to eye :).  But I will conclude that Barret is just not that good.  OSU's schedule is soft and they play soft defenses (I did watch the MN vs OSU game last week).  Barret does it with his legs....like all OSU QB's.

I agree we don't and that is perfectly fine. Barrett is very good with his legs and has good speed but strength to go with it and I think that creates opportunities for him in the passing game especially big plays. I do think the best way to limit Ohio State's offense is to load up on the run and try to make Barrett a pocket passer but I've also seen him make some big plays that way too.

UGA beats Nebraska (UGA can play down to their opponents but they'll still win). Kentucky and Arkansas beat all the Big10 teams except OSU, Wisc and maybe Nebraska (but it would be close). Same with SC. Kentucky can hang with the big boys as far as their O goes.

Funny you should mention Georgia and Nebraska...you're simply saying that a game

this season would be a reversal of last season's Gator Bowl, eh? For the record, I am an SEC fan and watch Georgia as often as I can.

Now, Kentucky. Oh boy. 41-3 losers to LSU, 63-31 losers to Georgia, and 50-16 losers to Tennessee. Hangin' with the big boys!

Mississippi St. currently ranked 4th. What exactly about their schedule makes them a top 4 team over the likes of TCU, Baylor, or Ohio State? Their out-of-conference schedule is a joke and looking at their schedule they have two teams in the current top 25 they've played. Beat one, lost to another. 

Why are they ranked 4th? 

Ummmmm..........let me see.....because at the time they beat #8LSU, #6 A&M, and #2 Auburn and should have beat #5 Alabama if they would have controlled the clock better. 

Not saying they would win but Nebraska is beyond God-Awful.......Good Lord they lost to the gerbils last year! Melvin Gordon put 408 on them and he didn't even play the 4th quarter! Minnesota is favored to beat them this weekend!

That's not what you said at all. Your exact words were that Vandy would "work over" Nebraska. Go re-read your post.

That sad-sack Nebraska team that lost to Minnesota last year also beat Georgia in the Gator Bowl - as I already pointed out in this thread earlier to scpa.

That's not what you said at all. Your exact words were that Vandy would "work over" Nebraska. Go re-read your post.

You are correct. I did say that they would work them over, maybe not win but would give them a hell of run.....that is how bad Nebraska is. Biggest mistake they ever made was move to the Big 10. You know the Big 10 conference is bad when Minnesota and Northwestern are favored in inter-conference games. I can't even believe this is a thread. The Big 10 is an entire 4-year recruiting class maybe even 2 classes behind the SEC.

I'm only a hater because they are given an inordinate amount of attention. That inordinate amount of attention is a result of a major contract between the SEC and ESPN.

Year in and year out Notre Dame seems to get ranked pretty highly midway through the season, then they tank and so does their ranking. Why do they get ranked high to begin with? Media exposure. Same thing, just on a conference level with the SEC.

I'm not an SEC hater and you are 100% correct. ESPN wouldn't dare risk bad-mouthing a business partner - in fact, during college football season, you could say the SEC becomes the Yankees and Red Sox of summertime to ESPN.

You are correct. I did say that they would work them over, maybe not win but would give them a hell of run.....that is how bad Nebraska is. Biggest mistake they ever made was move to the Big 10. You know the Big 10 conference is bad when Minnesota and Northwestern are favored in inter-conference games. I can't even believe this is a thread. The Big 10 is an entire 4-year recruiting class maybe even 2 classes behind the SEC.

So Vandy would "work over" Nebraska but quite possibly lose to the Huskers. Compelling argument you're making...

If Northwestern is so awful, how over-rated is Notre Dame?

So Vandy would "work over" Nebraska but quite possibly lose to the Huskers. Compelling argument you're making...

If Northwestern is so awful, how over-rated is Notre Dame?

Very, very, very over-rated. Notre Dame BARELY beat Navy. Which shows how over-rated Florida State is too. Winston the thug shouldn't even be allowed to play college football.