SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Maybe I have my green glasses on but I thought that was a good call by the officials. LaLeggia tee'd the vulnerable player up with a shot to the head. Why do you say LaLeggia got screwed?

A hundred hockey aficionados could look at that same play, with 50 absolutely positive it was a major & 50 absolutely positive it was 2:00....And they could argue about it aaaaaaaalll summer if it cost their team in the tournament....

Maybe I have my green glasses on but I thought that was a good call by the officials. LaLeggia tee'd the vulnerable player up with a shot to the head. Why do you say LaLeggia got screwed?

I didn't think it was an intentional head-shot, but it definitely hit there. Worst thing is, he'd have been better off going for the puck instead of the hit - could've been a nice steal

A hundred hockey aficionados could look at that same play, with 50 absolutely positive it was a major & 50 absolutely positive it was 2:00....And they could argue about it aaaaaaaalll summer if it cost their team in the tournament....

And you can bet that tomorrow, when I go back to work, all of my Pio nation co-workers will voice their opinion that it should've only been a 2!

• Upvote 1

I thought it was a terrible call he was hit in the head because he was looking down. I just think it is pretty weak to reward a guy for having his head down.

The college rule on this type of hit is quite clear.  This isn't the NHL. 

The college rule on this type of hit is quite clear. This isn't the NHL.

Indeed. Melrose even commented that the difference between college and the NHL is that, in college, the ownes is on the hitter whereas in the NHL it's on the puck carrier. Melrose went on to say that he hopes that the NHL will change their rule to be the same as the NCAA's to help protect the vulnerable puck carrier.

Indeed. Melrose even commented that the difference between college and the NHL is that, in college, the ownes is on the hitter whereas in the NHL it's on the puck carrier. Melrose went on to say that he hopes that the NHL will change their rule to be the same as the NCAA's to help protect the vulnerable puck carrier.

The problem is fans who don't know the difference. Remember the Scott Stevens crushing hit on Eric Lindros? That's cheered as a "clean hit" in the NHL when in reality, Lindros was very vulnerable in that situation. That hit in college would get the offender an early ticket to the locker room - and it should.

Did anyone notice the hit from behind that an Omaha player laid on an RIT player down in the corner in Omaha's zone which didn't get called? Thoughts on whether or not that should've at least been a two for boarding if not a 5 for check from behind? I guess if I'm Wilson I'm hot over that no-call.

I got no axe to grind in this Godsmack and I have to agree with our assessment.