SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Know that I'm intending honest discussion here.

We all know that within the same NCAA defined level of competition there are undefined "sub levels" based on tradition and success. UND has it in hockey, Ndsu has it in football. Duke has it in basketball, ect ect. Some programs call the shots, some don't. That's reality.

You're trying to have it both ways. Is UND gonna go to Minnesota State for OOC games anytime soon? Why aren't Bemidji and Minn State in the NCHC? What was wrong with the old WCHA?

Exactly none of the examples you just laid out apply to this situation.  UND is in a conference as good as NDSU's and play at the same level as them, and have damn near the same overall funding as them, minus a lag in coaching salaries.  

Also, UND hockey is playing at Bemidji State this year and played there last year.  Your examples are not apples to apples because UND has the tradition and funding of the top schools but is down at the moment.  Won't last. 

Speaking of laughable...let's look at the Notre Dame/Miami rivalry. After losing in Miami in 1989, Notre Dame almost immediately announced that the 1990 game in South Bend would be it - the rivalry needed a "cooling off period." The teams would not meet again in regular season play until 2012 - at Soldier Field. Notre Dame territory. A second game was scheduled for 2016. Where, you ask? Miami? Tampa Bay? Hell, how about Jacksonville? Nope. South Bend, Indiana.

Not much of a rivalry (25 games).  They got in a couple fights and that is when it became a "rivalry".  

Who gives a crap about what people want to see?  If you're looking out for the best interest of UND, you go for home and home.  If they don't want to make that deal, tell them to go talk to the sheep in their barn.  We have the only thing they don't have, The Nickel Trophy.  If you're going to sell out, just sell the damn trophy for $500,000 and get a coach w/ some Bowl experience who can actually beat the bastards.  AND give him some time to get a team to do it.  This deal was a disgrace to anyone who's ever sweated and bled for the UND football team.  But, hey, we're underdogs, there's money to be made in Vegas in case of a miracle.     

• Upvote 2

Exactly none of the examples you just laid out apply to this situation. UND is in a conference as good as NDSU's and play at the same level as them, and have damn near the same overall funding as them, minus a lag in coaching salaries.

Also, UND hockey is playing at Bemidji State this year and played there last year. Your examples are not apples to apples because UND has the tradition and funding of the top schools but is down at the moment. Won't last.

Colorado's conference is as good as the ACC...so what? Colorado's terrible.

I hope Bubba rights the ship. But a certain Notre Dame has had a slew of saviors come along since Lou Holtz....Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, Charlie Weis...I'll wait to see the on-the-field product before proclaiming to be on the "same level" as NDSU.

• Upvote 1

Know that I'm intending honest discussion here.

We all know that within the same NCAA defined level of competition there are undefined "sub levels" based on tradition and success. UND has it in hockey, Ndsu has it in football. Duke has it in basketball, ect ect. Some programs call the shots, some don't. That's reality.

You're trying to have it both ways. Is UND gonna go to Minnesota State for OOC games anytime soon? Why aren't Bemidji and Minn State in the NCHC? What was wrong with the old WCHA?

Have those teams and UND talked about playing OOC games? If they have, or will in the future, do you think UND will insist on all games played in grand forks? Please list some examples for us where UND has refused to play area teams on the road. Thanks.

Not much of a rivalry (25 games). They got in a couple fights and that is when it became a "rivalry".

A) fightingsioux4life brought up Notre Dame/Miami, not me.

B) the claim was that this (meaning two "home" games in a row for one school) would "never happen"...something I promptly refuted and proved to be incorrect.

Colorado's conference is as good as the ACC...so what? Colorado's terrible.

I hope Bubba rights the ship. But a certain Notre Dame has had a slew of saviors come along since Lou Holtz....Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, Charlie Weis...I'll wait to see the on-the-field product before proclaiming to be on the "same level" as NDSU.

So top teams (at the time) should only play road games vs. other teams that are as good as them (at the time)?  Interesting scheduling philosophy. 

So top teams (at the time) should only play road games vs. other teams that are as good as them (at the time)? Interesting scheduling philosophy.

THAT'S what you deduced from my comments on Colorado, the ACC, and Notre Dame coaches?

Again, you are verifying the point which angers many here-this was a stand alone take it or leave it deal-not a series.  Unless there are "series" played in college athletics which entail one team playing on the road, there is no "series" to cancel here.

That's the point.

Its more of a series now than it has been for the last 13 years.  The games aren't going to be cancelled, if anything after this first contract expires it will become a annual or bi-annual event.  The pressure will be there for it to continue.

Bubba knows that the quickest way to change perception of recruits and casual fans alike is to do it on the field.  That is also why FU fans do not like the idea of the game.  Say what you want about the deal but the pressure to sign did not come from anyone other than the coaches in the football office.

• Upvote 1

Its more of a series now than it has been for the last 13 years. The games aren't going to be cancelled, if anything after this first contract expires it will become a annual or bi-annual event. The pressure will be there for it to continue.

Bubba knows that the quickest way to change perception of recruits and casual fans alike is to do it on the field. That is also why FU fans do not like the idea of the game. Say what you want about the deal but the pressure to sign did not come from anyone other than the coaches in the football office.

Nothing to argue with here.............

How is rescheduling the game against your biggest rival that all of the players want to play and 99% of the State residents want to see suddenly constitute "prostituting" ourselves out?

No return game and I believe that NDSU paid over $200K for FCS games in the past.

Gotta love the trolls - how many schools that schedule OOC schedule more than one or two years out - the fact that there is "no return game" is pure conjecture and just another attempt at being able to say "See now THIS really proves that we are better". The reality is the last time they played UND hosted so it was FU's turn to host for the first game, the follow-up game is actually game 1 of a new series, probably not annually but also probably not all in Fargo (NO ONE KNOWS). But if FU trolls need to spin this to feed their inferiority we are used to that.

For those of you making the comparison with the Hockey team and BSU you almost have a good point. UND plays there every year and has since their inception to D-1 hockey. Minnesota played a OOC there last year and also played in Bemidji the first year they went D-1. So even Minnesota gives a little. As I said earlier though you almost have a good point cause who gives a crap. This is a football game and not just any football game. A game thats been in all of our lives marked on a calendar every year since we could remember. If you say anything else you're either lying or just a hockey fan and you don't watch football. Both UND and NDSU fans loved this game. They/we loved the hatred, trash talking and all the deviant behavior that went along with it. I acknowledge a small amount of fans claim differently on both sides. Yet, if they truly felt that way they certainly wouldn't talk about on forums. All that is the true passion a person holds for their own school and the hatred they hold for the other school. I'm not wild about UND having to go to Fargo twice with no return but if thats what it takes so be it. We finally got a guy thats calling the shots and understands our fanbase. Let the man do his job and lead our players and apparently our adminstration into a new era.

P.S. Buck the Fison

Its more of a series now than it has been for the last 13 years.  The games aren't going to be cancelled, if anything after this first contract expires it will become a annual or bi-annual event.  The pressure will be there for it to continue.

Bubba knows that the quickest way to change perception of recruits and casual fans alike is to do it on the field.  That is also why FU fans do not like the idea of the game.  Say what you want about the deal but the pressure to sign did not come from anyone other than the coaches in the football office.

That statement based in absolutely no facts whatsoever.

Simply because we want something to be true, and saying it publicly, does not make it so.

• Upvote 1

That statement based in absolutely no facts whatsoever.

Simply because we want something to be true, and saying it publicly, does not make it so.

Fair analysis...but what is fact is Bubba wanted these games next year and in 2019.  You might not like it, this obviously is fact as well, but for this program to transition out of the Muss debacle these games are a step in the right direction for a vast majority of Sioux fans and alum.  I'm not a big Faison fan but this isn't a Faison issue.  The FB program at UND is looked apon as a joke right now...IMO Bubba sees that and is willing to take a risk to change that perception.  Good for him.  Winning one of these 2 games or both will completely change the dynamic of scheduling the games between the 2 schools.  If UND gets their butts handed to them in both games vs. NDSU and makes little progress in the BS conference by 2019...not sure Bubba will have much say on anything FB related at that point anyways.

For those of you making the comparison with the Hockey team and BSU you almost have a good point. UND plays there every year and has since their inception to D-1 hockey. Minnesota played a OOC there last year and also played in Bemidji the first year they went D-1. So even Minnesota gives a little. As I said earlier though you almost have a good point cause who gives a crap. This is a football game and not just any football game. A game thats been in all of our lives marked on a calendar every year since we could remember. If you say anything else you're either lying or just a hockey fan and you don't watch football. Both UND and NDSU fans loved this game. They/we loved the hatred, trash talking and all the deviant behavior that went along with it. I acknowledge a small amount of fans claim differently on both sides. Yet, if they truly felt that way they certainly wouldn't talk about on forums. All that is the true passion a person holds for their own school and the hatred they hold for the other school. I'm not wild about UND having to go to Fargo twice with no return but if thats what it takes so be it. We finally got a guy thats calling the shots and understands our fanbase. Let the man do his job and lead our players and apparently our adminstration into a new era.

P.S. Buck the Fison

Great post. Obviously ndsu admin wasn't too high on the rivalry continuing. That's why dl they required the home and home. Tell me the last team they asked this of??

It makes sense. Ndsu football is currently the number 2 sporting team in the state. They are now at risk of becoming number 3.

.....all I can say is the arrogance of bissson nation needs to be knocked down a few pegs. This is no @$#%!!!! They actually have rubes who think they can beat Alabama. You can't make that stuff up.

Name one who says ndsu would beat Alabama

What was the attitude when UND played 2 straight home games against the Bison in back to back years? (1992,1993) for some reason the game wasn't in Fargo in 1993 like it should have. I know we were in the same conference then but that was back to back years this is 4 years in between.

Name one who says ndsu would beat Alabama

Hey Johnboy, I thought you wouldn't be trolling on here when you announced on AGS that you don't support Bison football anymore, that when you graduate you aren't giving them any money. So you going to spend your days on here?

Hey Johnboy, I thought you wouldn't be trolling on here when you announced on AGS that you don't support Bison football anymore, that when you graduate you aren't giving them any money. So you going to spend your days on here?

That didn't answer the question. You didn't name a ndsu fan who said the bison would beat Alabama.

My post on AGS said I would spend time on a variety of forums as my school schedule allows/dictates.

Gotta love the trolls - how many schools that schedule OOC schedule more than one or two years out - the fact that there is "no return game" is pure conjecture and just another attempt at being able to say "See now THIS really proves that we are better". The reality is the last time they played UND hosted so it was FU's turn to host for the first game, the follow-up game is actually game 1 of a new series, probably not annually but also probably not all in Fargo (NO ONE KNOWS). But if FU trolls need to spin this to feed their inferiority we are used to that.

That didn't answer the question. You didn't name a ndsu fan who said the bison would beat Alabama.

My post on AGS said I would spend time on a variety of forums as my school schedule allows/dictates.

Since you aren't a UND football fan or an NDSU football fan, you shouldn't be trolling through football forums, nor through this thread.  And to answer your question about Alabama:  There are a handful of threads not posts about NDSU playing Bama on BV. You should know you posted in it.