SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Here are my thoughts for today-

Scoring 1:  Easy Mac between LJohnson and Parks (most complete line)

Scoring 2:  Jewels between Poganski and Schmaltz  (most raw talent line)

Energy 1:  Pattyn between Gaarder and OD (line that will be very difficult to play against)

Energy 2:  St Clair between whomever earns it ( I think St Clair gets in because of his pk ability)

D1:  Schmaltz and LaDue

D2:  Mattson and Stecher

D3:  Thompson and Ausmus

G1: Zane

I have the Top-9 forwards as the same, just arranged slightly different.

O'Donnell-MacMillan-Parks:  Veteran line, can play against the other team's top line and still put up points (30-35 points for Mac and Parks, 20-25 for O'D)

Caggiula-Schmaltz-Johnson:  Mostly talented line, the two best shooter's on the team, with an (supposed) elite playmaker in the middle (This line will probably outscore the first line)

Pattyn-Gaarder-Poganski:  All big, strong, and physical.  No one will like playing against these guys.  Could be an elite shutdown, grinding line.  Solid production as well.

Simonson-St. Clair-Olson:  St. Clair is the anchor here, I think Chyzyk or Murphy (hoping he takes a big jump over the summer) could sneak in here.  Either way, this will be a great energy line.

Once again, defense will be the strong point of this team.

Schmaltz-Thompson-Thompson takes a big jump over the summer, if Schmaltz isn't an All-American this season, he will have underachieved. 

Mattson-LaDue-Same second pairing as last year, if Mattson can limit his turnover's, this pairing could be one of the best two-way pairings in the country.

Poolman-Stecher-Poolman comes in with accolades, hopefully Stecher can bring more offense this year.

I don't think it is a stretch to say that Schmaltz and LaDue could be two of the top-10 defenseman in the country, Mattson is a point producing veteran.  Poolman followed a very similar development path as LaDue, if he comes in and plays like Paul did last year, this D-Corps, along with Minnesota's, will be far and away the best in the country, IMO.

I like OD on that "energy" line to put at least one slightly higher offensive skill guy on the ice- I could see Pattyn punishing, Gaarder scrapping, and OD picking up some real nice looks from yje high slot. I am counting on him burying a dozen of them this year...agree on Schmaltz...

Scoring 1: Easy Mac between LJohnson and Parks (most complete line)

Scoring 2: Jewels between Poganski and Schmaltz (most raw talent line)

Energy 1: Pattyn between Gaarder and OD (line that will be very difficult to play against)

Energy 2: St Clair between whomever earns it ( I think St Clair gets in because of his pk ability)

D1: Schmaltz and LaDue

D2: Mattson and Stecher

D3: Thompson and Ausmus

Scoring 1: Easy Mac between LJohnson and Parks (most complete line)

Scoring 2: Jewels between Poganski and Schmaltz (most raw talent line)

Energy 1: Pattyn between Gaarder and OD (line that will be very difficult to play against)

Energy 2: St Clair between whomever earns it ( I think St Clair gets in because of his pk ability)

D1: Schmaltz and LaDue

D2: Mattson and Stecher

D3: Thompson and Ausmus

I do like that top line however I worry about that second from an experience standpoint. Doesn't hurt to try it out though, you are correct there is a lot of raw talent. I really like that third. I would keep Mattson with Ladue and try Thompson with schmaltz. I thought Thompson got so good by the end of the year and has good size and great skating ability. I would also be very shocked if poolman doesn't work his way into the lineup on day 1. He and Ladue are very similar.

I think some of us posters are missing the boat on certain incoming freshman.

I would expect Trevor Olson and Johnny Simonson to get a much needed look ealry on, since they are older incoming freshman. Poganski will more than likely have a little first half learning curve.

Our X-factors this year will be O'Donnel and Chzyk. They need to make big strides.

I thought Gage Ausmus did pretty well last year when he was in the lineup. I like the different elements in his game and what he brings to the team. However, where does he fit? No way Poolman sits out from what I've read on him.

Thoughts on Gage?

I would expect Trevor Olson and Johnny Simonson to get a much needed look ealry on, since they are older incoming freshman. Poganski will more than likely have a little first half learning curve.

Our X-factors this year will be O'Donnel and Chzyk. They need to make big strides.

I thought Gage Ausmus did pretty well last year when he was in the lineup. I like the different elements in his game and what he brings to the team. However, where does he fit? No way Poolman sits out from what I've read on him.

Thoughts on Gage?

Gage is interesting because he should take a step forward, hopefully, he has size and could flourish in a PK role.  With the offensive dmen we have we will not be lacking production from the back end.  It may be a good idea to have at least one stay at home dman.  Schmaltz may take a step forward with his defensive game however in my mind he is our top offensive dman.  Ladue and poolman are true 2-way dmen, mattson is 1-way, stetcher is one-way and thompson probably leans 1-way.  It will be interesting who hak chooses to sit but I don't think it will Poolman.  In my mind it's stetcher or Gage.

It will be whoever is playing better I'm sure.

Thoughts on Gage?

I agree with you on Olson and Simonson and really think Olson could step right into the Rodwell role with Pattyn and Gaarder and maybe even add a little more offense to that spot. I think Poganski will have a learning curve to deal with but with his raw talent and skill I think he will definitely get a good chance to stick in the lineup. With the increased depth I could see OD or Chyzk having a tough time getting into and staying in the lineup at times. Right now I'm thinking that Ausmus and Poolman will probably rotate in and out similar to what Ausmus and Thompson did for most of the season last year.

I don't know much about Poolman, but he is older than Jordan Schmaltz, Keaton Thompson, Troy Stecher, and Gage Ausmus...so is LaDue, and he worked out alright...although he did make some freshman mistakes, even as an old man freshman.  Not knocking him, as I think he is very solid.

I have a bit of a prejudice against these old players coming in, but it is what it is.  Not everyone is Zack Parise, TJ Oshie, Drew Stafford, Jonathan Toews....

I would love to see that skill level on the ice again...17/18 year olds that are the best in NCAA...

• Upvote 1

I don't know much about Poolman, but he is older than Jordan Schmaltz, Keaton Thompson, Troy Stecher, and Gage Ausmus...so is LaDue, and he worked out alright...although he did make some freshman mistakes, even as an old man freshman.  Not knocking him, as I think he is very solid.

I have a bit of a prejudice against these old players coming in, but it is what it is.  Not everyone is Zack Parise, TJ Oshie, Drew Stafford, Jonathan Toews....

I would love to see that skill level on the ice again...17/18 year olds that are the best in NCAA...

I like a lot of what you post and we all like our Toews, Oshie's, etc. however, what do you have against older players who peak later?  I think that's the great thing about college hockey.  Also, Ladue was very, very solid last year as a freshman. A tad better than "alright".  His mental mistake against CC was what it was, but his +/- was what it was as well.

Gage is interesting because he should take a step forward, hopefully, he has size and could flourish in a PK role.  With the offensive dmen we have we will not be lacking production from the back end.  It may be a good idea to have at least one stay at home dman.  Schmaltz may take a step forward with his defensive game however in my mind he is our top offensive dman.  Ladue and poolman are true 2-way dmen, mattson is 1-way, stetcher is one-way and thompson probably leans 1-way.  It will be interesting who hak chooses to sit but I don't think it will Poolman.  In my mind it's stetcher or Gage.

It will be whoever is playing better I'm sure.

Stecher sitting?  Not sure I see that.  He's solid.

• Upvote 3

I like a lot of what you post and we all like our Toews, Oshie's, etc. however, what do you have against older players who peak later?  I think that's the great thing about college hockey.  Also, Ladue was very, very solid last year as a freshman. A tad better than "alright".  His mental mistake against CC was what it was, but his +/- was what it was as well.

Thanks for the compliment. 

My use of "alright" regarding LaDue wasn't meant analogous to "mediocre" it was meant as a real positive.  Sorta like saying Toews turned out alright...not comparing him to Toews, just my use of "alright".

My bias against older players is probably due to living in rodentville...I don't like hearing the 25 year old Canadian reference.  Even though I know it is ignorant, anything that points towards older players just grates a little.

I know, it was very tough to write.  He impressed me early but had a few defensive mental lapses late in the season.  Who else sits though?

That's a good question. I didn't really mind Gage playing up front at times. He added some physicality on the fourth line. We may be too deep with forwards for that to happen this year...

My use of "alright" regarding LaDue wasn't meant analogous to "mediocre" it was meant as a real positive.  Sorta like saying Toews turned out alright...not comparing him to Toews, just my use of "alright".

My bias against older players is probably due to living in rodentville...I don't like hearing the 25 year old Canadian reference.  Even though I know it is ignorant, anything that points towards older players just grates a little.

I live hear too.  I definitely know what you mean. However, the goofs are sitting in a recruiting gold mine where most kids grow up as goof fans.  We have to work a tad harder.

• Upvote 2

Fun quiz for Gopher fans. who are 2 of the oldest players to ever play in the WCHA?

Dan Woog who turned 25 shortly after his senior season.

Steve DeBus was 25 during his 3rd season and would have been 26 if he had played his 4th season.

• Upvote 1

Fun quiz for Gopher fans. who are 2 of the oldest players to ever play in the WCHA?

Dan Woog who turned 25 shortly after his senior season.

Steve DeBus was 25 during his 3rd season and would have been 26 if he had played his 4th season.

Brad Fedorenko of the UMD Bulldogs in the mid-nineties turned 25 in April of his senior season too