SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

You pointed out the reason for heartburn exactly - pre-Hak Frozen 4 record = 7 out of 14. Hak's record = 0 for 5. The problem with your post is that you blame some invisible "law of averages" for our failures. If the law of averages worked in college athletics, after several seasons, all teams would be .500.

You failed to even read what I wrote.

Clue #1 was when I said "One unrelated item...". That means it pertains nothing to the above of what I wrote in the context I was writing it in.

Clue #2 was noticing that I personally didn't blame the law of averages, merely pointed it out. The world works in mysterious ways.

They also are super deep with top notch defensemen and a full blown blue chipper goalie. That's why they look better :)

Until that freshie blue-chippah gives up a couple of early ones against Union...the Dutchmen in an upset! Wicked pissah!

I guess I always wonder what might have happened if Hakstol had loosened up just a little bit when we had blue chippers like Toews, Oshie and Duncan without being sloppy on the defensive end. It could have made a difference, but we'll never know.

The more you loosen it up, the worse your defense is going to get. It's only natural. It's key to find the right balance.

With that said, when Toews, Oshie, and Duncan all were playing on the same teams in the Frozen Four, how much more did you want Hakstol to loosen it up? The two years they played together they scored 5 goals ('06) and 4 goals ('07), both plenty to win a hockey game. Their defense gave up 6 goals each time. Since we're blaming Hak for the player's peformances, by my estimation he "loosened up" too much.

In reality, that's not what I believe. When you lose, sometimes it's a bad bounce or two (which isn't always necessarily a bad bounce of the puck, just a bit a bit of bad luck, but I'm lumping it in here). Sometimes key players didn't show up. Sometimes it's the system you're running. And sometimes, the other team just flat out beat you.

In 2005, we just got flat out beat by a good team.

In 2006, a few key players on our back end didn't show up.

In 2007, I chalk it up to a bad bounce or two

In 2008, it was probably a combination of things, including the coaching.

In 2011, a defense with a sound game plan and a goalie who played the game of his life beat us, and we still outshot them by double and only gave up one goal (not counting the ENG).

All five appearances are on Hak's permanent record, but you can't blame each year without a title on Hak. Occasionally yes, much of the time, no.

• Upvote 3

Oh where oh where, when will our NATTY be?

WOLVERINES took her away from me. She's gone to heaven, so I've got to be SOBER.

So I can see my NATTY when i leave this world.

We were out on a date in my LUCIA'S car. we hadn't driven very far. there in

The road, straight ahead. RAU'S car was stalled, the engine was dead.

I couldn't SCORED, so I SHOT IN THE GOALIE. I'll never forget the sound that

Night. the screamin tires, the bustin glass. the painful GOAL HORN that I heard

Last.

Oh where, oh where, WHEN HAKS NATTY WILL be? the HOT GOALIE took her away from me. she's gone

To heaven, so I've got to be SOBER. so I can see my NATTY when I leave this world.

When I woke UP HUNGOVER AND DRUNK. there were people standin all around.

Something warm flowing through my eyes. but somehow I found my NATTY 2014.

I KISSED THE NATTY, NATTY LOOKED at me and said. "DRINK BEER OUT OF ME." I held NATTY close, I kissed her our last kiss. I found the love that i

Knew I had missed.

• Upvote 2

You do realize that the Boston College Eagles use the dump and chase too and they cycle the puck... They had to use the dump and chase against Lowell last weekend.

I am not saying other teams don't use dump and chase and don't cycle the puck; you make in-game adjustments when needed. But this idea that Jerry York uses the exact same systems as Dave Hakstol just doesn't hold water. Especially since we have direct, head-to-head match-ups between the two programs in the Frozen Four that show one team (Boston College) having much more success than the other team (North Dakota) and clearly playing more of a skill and speed game vs. the more "structured" game of North Dakota. And those North Dakota teams had way more NHL-caliber talent than this team, so that made those losses even harder to swallow and explain. If this team wins it all next week, that will validate what the Hakstol Fan Club is saying. But until Hakstol's methods bring home the bacon on the biggest stage in college hockey, I remain a skeptic (not a hater, a skeptic). In one week, we'll know one way or the other. Until then.....GO SIOUX, BEAT THOSE DIRTY GOPHERS!!! :devil:

Just watched the "Through these doors". Awesome to see the celebration after the Ferris game. Like they couldn't believe that with all the ups and downs they were half way to the top of the mountain.

I wish they would have played everything that Hak said to them afterwards, but I'm sure not all of it was PG. Loved the fist pump or whatever he was doing that got the whole team going.

Blais style circa 1990's is different than Hak's style of play. If you think in those terms then you also have to agree that Deano doesn't play that style anymore either. Hak's system has always been an NHL style from day one. Good or bad in your taste, it is very close to the NHL style of play and it shows in the success that all the talent that's currently playing in the league. Would those guys still been in the show without Hak? Of course they would, but the guys that are good enough to play up there all play well in all zones and are good on the wall in the cycle game. Many NHL types have said as much about players that develop in this program.

How insecure is this fan base? Why not wait until after the season for this bs? Let them fail another time and then have this convo. For the first time in a long time we're in the frozen four as an underdog. And don't tell me how deep and talented our team is cause that's not the case. Sit back and enjoy this team as they overachieve. Don't burry them and Hak before they even play the game. Hak should have a title by now but now he has a chance to win one with a team that isn't supposed to be there so once again give him a chance to sink or swim this frozen four before leaning over the edge. Lets talk !@#$ about the gophers instead.

I wish they would have played everything that Hak said to them afterwards, but I'm sure not all of it was PG. Loved the fist pump or whatever he was doing that got the whole team going.

Very cool to see. Yeah, he definitely got them fired up at the end there, very cool.

Very cool to see. Yeah, he definitely got them fired up at the end there, very cool.

Fun seeing that! Wonder what he said as pattyn was liking it and borderline smiling/laughing but surprised! Ha good stuff

This team is very gritty. Not in the sense of on ice toughness but just how they get things done last couple games. Send goldy back home Thursday!! Leaning 3-2 overtime win but don't think I can handle a OT. Ha heart attack alert

Go sioux!!

• Upvote 2

I am no hockey expert, but I remember being told that when Hakstol took over the average working stiff in the stands wouldn't notice much of a change in style of play. And that hasn't been the case. As for NHL coaches being a fan of Hakstol, I guess that doesn't score many points with me. I honestly don't care what NHL coaches and scouts think (and that includes Starman). The NHL game and the college game are different; what is good for the NHL is not necessarily good for the college game. Boston College uses a similar style to what we used to use and has won 4 NCAA titles in 13 years. North Dakota now uses a very NHL-esque system and has a 1-5 record in the Frozen Four (including some very lopsided losses to Boston College). And it is impossible not to make the obvious comparison between the two programs and how they build their teams when they have faced off so many times on the biggest stage in college hockey. I guess I always wonder what might have happened if Hakstol had loosened up just a little bit when we had blue chippers like Toews, Oshie and Duncan without being sloppy on the defensive end. It could have made a difference, but we'll never know. I do think Hakstol should get another 4-5 years to bring home an NCAA title, but if it doesn't happen, this topic will come back with a vengeance.

Goon - That's for the dump and chase post - You are 100% correct.

The trapping systems of today were not the norm in college hockey in the mid to late 1990's. The game has changed. To not change your approach would be incredibly stupid.

Team wins in the last five years:

BC- 113

UND - 105

Union - 104

Minn. - 97

Denver/QU - 90

BC has been successful, no question. UND has also been incredibly successful. I will bet that you haven't watched 5 BC games in the past 2 years. Probably far less than that. Do you honestly think their "style" is not substantially similar to ours? Do you think that BC, and BC only, have discovered some magical formula that no other college coach can decipher. Can the BC players, and BC players only, magically skate through an effective trap?

If Wisconsin hadn't pulled an incredible comeback against Ohio St. we wouldn't have made the NCAA's. That would have had zero to do with Hak. Now many are saying what a great job he has done with this team. Would the opinion of Hak's job this year be different if Ohio St. wins that game?

You indicate that BC's system is similar to the old Blais system. I ask again, please explain in detail Blais's system and the current BC system. In other words, please explain the logic underlining your conclusion.

• Upvote 1

I am no hockey expert, but I remember being told that when Hakstol took over the average working stiff in the stands wouldn't notice much of a change in style of play. And that hasn't been the case.

So you're upset someone told you things wouldn't change and they did?

I do think Hakstol should get another 4-5 years to bring home an NCAA title, but if it doesn't happen, this topic will come back with a vengeance.

For it to "come back" you would have to let it go first. I don't see that happening...

• Upvote 3