SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

We are playing with house money at this point in the season. Just think how far this team has come since Thangsgiving! Heck, think how far this team has come since the Saturday lost to CC!! The team has been in a "win or go home" mentality for almost a month now. We won two games in the NCAA tournament that we were the underdogs. Now we are in the Frozen Four and will most likely have to go thru both Minnesota and BC to win the title. No one outside our fanbase is giving us a chance. So the boys can play loose. This is a very young team that was in a way in a rebuilding year. Now we have the chance to win it all. The pressure is not on us. It's on the other guys for once!! Given where this team was even 2 weeks ago, this team has to feel pretty good about how the end of this season is going. Now just need to finish it right by hoisting the hardware!!!

We are playing with house money at this point in the season. Just think how far this team has come since Thangsgiving! Heck, think how far this team has come since the Saturday lost to CC!! The team has been in a "win or go home" mentality for almost a month now. We won two games in the NCAA tournament that we were the underdogs. Now we are in the Frozen Four and will most likely have to go thru both Minnesota and BC to win the title. No one outside our fanbase is giving us a chance. So the boys can play loose. This is a very young team that was in a way in a rebuilding year. Now we have the chance to win it all. The pressure is not on us. It's on the other guys for once!! Given where this team was even 2 weeks ago, this team has to feel pretty good about how the end of this season is going. Now just need to finish it right by hoisting the hardware!!!

Score the first goal against Minnesota and watch those Gopher hands clench those sticks tight, boys. Make it 2-0 and you'll help Jupiter shut down GPL for a couple of days following a semi-final loss. :lol:

• Upvote 3

I am not saying other teams don't use dump and chase and don't cycle the puck; you make in-game adjustments when needed. But this idea that Jerry York uses the exact same systems as Dave Hakstol just doesn't hold water. Especially since we have direct, head-to-head match-ups between the two programs in the Frozen Four that show one team (Boston College) having much more success than the other team (North Dakota) and clearly playing more of a skill and speed game vs. the more "structured" game of North Dakota. And those North Dakota teams had way more NHL-caliber talent than this team, so that made those losses even harder to swallow and explain. If this team wins it all next week, that will validate what the Hakstol Fan Club is saying. But until Hakstol's methods bring home the bacon on the biggest stage in college hockey, I remain a skeptic (not a hater, a skeptic). In one week, we'll know one way or the other. Until then.....GO SIOUX, BEAT THOSE DIRTY GOPHERS!!! :devil:

Well, BC has twice as many alumni in the NHL as UND, so perhaps the players have something to do with how their systems look.

Blais style circa 1990's is different than Hak's style of play. If you think in those terms then you also have to agree that Deano doesn't play that style anymore either. Hak's system has always been an NHL style from day one. Good or bad in your taste, it is very close to the NHL style of play and it shows in the success that all the talent that's currently playing in the league. Would those guys still been in the show without Hak? Of course they would, but the guys that are good enough to play up there all play well in all zones and are good on the wall in the cycle game. Many NHL types have said as much about players that develop in this program.

Even though we give credit to Blais for having more of a "speed" system, his teams could cycle the puck like CRAZY. I still haven't seen a Hakstol team as good at cycling the puck despite the perception that is his token "style."

Come on... the experts here have clearly indicated the dump and chase technique doesn't work against a trap. Haven't you watched BC? ;)

I didn't mean the old ring it around the boards hard....I meant the soft flop into the opposite corner....didn't you watch the Olympics? Some of those Scandinavian teams have it mastered.

Also, what 'experts' are you even talking about? On a side noting, dump and chase is the ONLY way to beat the trap....it was designed to stop heavy skating teams (Russians, Swedes, Finns, etc.).

I didn't mean the old ring it around the boards hard....I meant the soft flop into the opposite corner....didn't you watch the Olympics? Some of those Scandinavian teams have it mastered.

Also, what 'experts' are you even talking about? On a side noting, dump and chase is the ONLY way to beat the trap....it was designed to stop heavy skating teams (Russians, Swedes, Finns, etc.).

I was being a dink to all the folks (experts) whining about Hak's system. I 100% agree with everything you just wrote because you, more importantly, are 100% right.

BC has been successful, no question. UND has also been incredibly successful. I will bet that you haven't watched 5 BC games in the past 2 years. Probably far less than that. Do you honestly think their "style" is not substantially similar to ours? Do you think that BC, and BC only, have discovered some magical formula that no other college coach can decipher. Can the BC players, and BC players only, magically skate through an effective trap?

Don't disagree with most of your post. However, we are constantly told that BC's recent success is an anomaly, given how college hockey has changed. We are told that good teams (DOT, Pony Express) can't be expected to win anymore. Well BC has won 3 of the last 6 national championships, so either they're doing something different (style or recruiting) or they do have a magic formula which allows them to magically beat the trap and magically find ways to win the games they're supposed to......

Don't disagree with most of your post. However, we are constantly told that BC's recent success is an anomaly, given how college hockey has changed. We are told that good teams (DOT, Pony Express) can't be expected to win anymore. Well BC has won 3 of the last 6 national championships, so either they're doing something different (style or recruiting) or they do have a magic formula which allows them to magically beat the trap and magically find ways to win the games they're supposed to......

I hate to say this....but they have better players. However in a one and done situation I think we can beat them if we get by MN first. I know we have 14 draft picks or whatever but the have a lot too. They also have a pretty old/experienced team. Oh yeah...they have Johnny Hockey.

I hate to say this....but they have better players. However in a one and done situation I think we can beat them if we get by MN first. I know we have 14 draft picks or whatever but the have a lot too. They also have a pretty old/experienced team. Oh yeah...they have Johnny Hockey.

BC is the youngest team in College Hockey.

How about some of BC's recent losses in games they're "supposed to" win?

2006: Loss to Wisconsin in Milwaukee, 2-1. Anyplace else and that game is a blow-out in favor of BC.

2007: Loss to Michigan State in St Louis 3-1. Blew a lead late in regulation, then blew a tie in regulation with seconds left.

2009: No tournament

2011: blow-out Loss to CC in first round

2013: blow-out Loss to Union in first round

No such thing as "Puck luck," you say?

2008: 4-3 OT win over Miami...then a 4-1 win over a Notre Dame team that had upset Michigan in the semi-finals

2010: No upsets or any puck luck here...BC domination over Miami and Wisconsin.

2012: Semi-final win over Minnesota, then a win over Ferris State in the title game. Ferris State had upset Union in the semi-final.

I'm not disparaging BC in any way, shape, or form or trying to casually dismiss their three recent titles as luck, but BC has had its share of good fortune in addition to hearbreaking losses in the NCAA tournament.

Speaking of great tournaments, Hakstol should show the Michigan State semi-final and championship games to the boys before next Thursday.

BC is the youngest team in College Hockey.

I get that. I meant they have a very veteran first line (2 of which will be regular NHL players....I'm not even talking about Gudreau (sp?)). They have very good incoming freshman...most were top recruits. Their young defensemen were all awesome with 1-2 being blue chippers and they have a blue chip tendy (who's still like 17 or something crazy like that). I meant their team is built very well, having the experienced top line they do their younger players can play against other team's lower lines.

I hate be to the Debbie downer

but we do have talent

we ha 15 draft picks

I hate when people say we don't gottalent

sure we don't havethe usual talntthat und has

but we dohave mor talnt thenmost teams

Most of the draft picks are mid to late round picks. Typically, in other years we've had several 1st and 2nd round picks. I think we had 5 first round picks on one team. There is talent and depth--just not the top end talent of years past. Our two high end picks haven't really played up to that lofty status yet.

How about some of BC's recent losses in games they're "supposed to" win?

2006: Loss to Wisconsin in Milwaukee, 2-1. Anyplace else and that game is a blow-out in favor of BC.

2007: Loss to Michigan State in St Louis 3-1. Blew a lead late in regulation, then blew a tie in regulation with seconds left.

2009: No tournament

2011: blow-out Loss to CC in first round

2013: blow-out Loss to Union in first round

No such thing as "Puck luck," you say?

2008: 4-3 OT win over Miami...then a 4-1 win over a Notre Dame team that had upset Michigan in the semi-finals

2010: No upsets or any puck luck here...BC domination over Miami and Wisconsin.

2012: Semi-final win over Minnesota, then a win over Ferris State in the title game. Ferris State had upset Union in the semi-final.

I'm not disparaging BC in any way, shape, or form or trying to casually dismiss their three recent titles as luck, but BC has had its share of good fortune in addition to hearbreaking losses in the NCAA tournament.

Speaking of great tournaments, Hakstol should show the Michigan State semi-final and championship games to the boys before next Thursday.

you should have added something about all the beat-downs that BC put on the Sioux in those "evenly-matched" games!

how many beat-down wins have we witnessed our favorite hockey team experience during the national tourney in recent times? there are a few, but not that many!

you should have added something about all the beat-downs that BC put on the Sioux in those "evenly-matched" games!

how many beat-down wins have we witnessed our favorite hockey team experience during the national tourney in recent times? there are a few, but not that many!

2006: 6-5

2007: 6-4

I don't know if I'd call those "beat-downs"...2008, 6-1, most definitely.

2005 was a regional beat-down on the flip-side - UND over BC. A 3-0 lead after 1, a 4-0 lead in the 2nd before BC finally scored, then a 6-2 lead before BC scored late in the 3rd to make the final 6-3. That game was never in doubt.

Still wake up with cold sweats from that one. Having watched it live with the full visuals even makes it more disturbing..................

Still wake up with cold sweats from that one. Having watched it live with the full visuals even makes it more disturbing..................

I can't ever remember a Sioux hockey game after which I was more shattered.

I was sitting at Joe Sensor's on a rainy afternoon all by myself watching that one because my buddies were late in meeting me there. They walked in and saw the score was 4-0...and promptly told me "see ya later."

2006: 6-5

2007: 6-4

2005 was a regional beat-down on the flip-side - UND over BC. A 3-0 lead after 1, a 4-0 lead in the 2nd before BC finally scored, then a 6-2 lead before BC scored late in the 3rd to make the final 6-3. That game was never in doubt.

2006 wasn't as close as the final score indicated either. The game Jordan laid an egg!

2007 coin flip game that Shegos boned us on call against Finley

2008 embarrassing. I remember sitting in our suite during the second period changing my return flight from Sunday to Friday.

BC's overall success is not an anomaly, just like our overall success has not been an anomaly. Winning 3 of 6 is an anomaly.

While success is largely measure in national championships, that really isn't the best way to do the measuring. The Frattin team was the best team in the nation. I cant believe they would have lost a 5 or 7 game series to any team at the end of the year. They lost.

The 1997 team would have been taken apart by that Michigan team (very likely), and would have had virtually no chance in a 5 or 7 game series. They got lucky (via BU) and won. Such is the way the puck bounces.

BC isn't doing anything different. There is no magic pill. They are doing the same thing at as high a level as anyone else.

2006 wasn't as close as the final score indicated either. The game Jordan laid an egg!

2 saves, 3 goals allowed in the first. Ouch.

The Sioux answered with 2 of their own in the 2nd and you thought they might have a shot going into the third...until BC scores twice in the last 5:00 of the period to make it a three-goal lead again. Groan...

I watched that one from a bar in San Diego, CA...what a bummer.

BC's overall success is not an anomaly, just like our overall success has not been an anomaly. Winning 3 of 6 is an anomaly.

While success is largely measure in national championships, that really isn't the best way to do the measuring. The Frattin team was the best team in the nation. I cant believe they would have lost a 5 or 7 game series to any team at the end of the year. They lost.

The 1997 team would have been taken apart by that Michigan team (very likely), and would have had virtually no chance in a 5 or 7 game series. They got lucky (via BU) and won. Such is the way the puck bounces.

BC isn't doing anything different. There is no magic pill. They are doing the same thing at as high a level as anyone else.

So it's all about luck, rather than magic. Well hopefully the Bennett Brien curse has been lifted ;)

Note: I love the Bennett Brien logo. It's just unfortunate that UND hockey had such a poor frozen four record during its tenure.