SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA TOURNEY - SIOUX vs. BADGERS - Cincinnati

AZSIOUX

Major concerns I have for the game is the Wisconsin actors trying to sell penalties. Diving seems to exist in the game when the Badgers play. Just watch the game in which all Sioux fans were watching - it was easy to overlook the diving because we wanted Wisconsin to win - but look at the game and they tried to get undeserved penalties. Can we expect the behavior to continue.

Keys to the game-

Do not let Mersch shoot on the power play.

Shadow Kerdiles, make his life absolutely miserable out there.

Get the first goal.

Establish a physical and net front presence early.

Get some flow out of our end- no speed through the neutral zone plays right into Bucky's strengths.

Hit the net and follow shots to the net. Their goalie is solid- not likely to pop the water bottle from the dot- need to bang some off the pillows and pounce on rebounds.

• Upvote 1

Major concerns I have for the game is the Wisconsin actors trying to sell penalties. Diving seems to exist in the game when the Badgers play. Just watch the game in which all Sioux fans were watching - it was easy to overlook the diving because we wanted Wisconsin to win - but look at the game and they tried to get undeserved penalties. Can we expect the behavior to continue.

Exactly. Remember Robbie Earl. Dude dove better than Greg Louganis.

The trash talking in hockey has gotten really, really bad.

I have to think there'd be less of it with half-shields and 5 minutes for fighting

This would have ended the crap that Western was pulling in the third period too. Some major attempts at runs at UND guys. Really only one that connected was the hit on Drake. In front of us a guy darn near got a good knee on knee hit on Rocco.

Have Pattyn skate by their bench, challenge a guy, and settle it that way.

I have never been to the US Bank Center but it is part of a large Sports Complex all lined up in a row right along the Ohio River. The Reds Stadium is to the west and the Bengals stadium further down the row.

Cincinnati is a fun sports town to hang out in- especially as baseball's opening day beckons. It's been a few years since I was there but there is a large Hooters Bar floating on the Ohio on the Kentucky side (Covington). It is a very large bar and on Reds game days they actually shuttle boats back and forth crossing the Ohio to take you to the ballpark. There are some nice pedestrian bridges that take you over the Ohio so I would venture to guess that everything around is within a six or eight block walk. There is/was a Hofbrauhaus nearby on the Convington side - good place for tall beers and good German Food. Speaking of food, a trip to the Queen City is not complete without a stop at Skyline Chili - don't let the fast food decor fool you - once you have a bowl of this stuff it will become fodder for your dreams. Skyline is everywhere but I prefer a good diner style Chili at Camp Washington Chili - a ways off the river.

Like I said - great sports town, but not necessarily a hockey town. Brush up on your Big Red Machine Trivia, speak strongly of Johnny Bench, Rob Dibble, and the like and drop the name of Ickey Woods and Ken Anderson and you'll do ok :D

This would have ended the crap that Western was pulling in the third period too. Some major attempts at runs at UND guys. Really only one that connected was the hit on Drake. In front of us a guy darn near got a good knee on knee hit on Rocco.

Have Pattyn skate by their bench, challenge a guy, and settle it that way.

If such things were to come to pass you'd rather have Panzarella out there.

Exactly. Remember Robbie Earl. Dude dove better than Greg Louganis.

Players do it because, sadly, it works. I watched Robbie Earl (or Mr Robert Earl as they called him) play in Austria, and he never dove once. He actually played through a hold or a trip. Considering how much he flopped around in college, I think that has to be an officiating thing.

Sorry the statement added to previous post got posted incorrectly. My part of statement said

So Austria has a way to stop it or was there something in Mr. Earl's prior environment that caused the flopping around. Any ideas - maybe poor coordination that might have improved as he aged or different rules or coaching or skate sharpening procedure or or or... Any other ideas lol

Al Pearson is trying to put a bus together to go to Cincy. All of you pissing and moaning about low attendance at inconvenient regionals can do a little something to change that. He needs 35 people to commit or bus doesn't roll. Call Joanna at 701-388-9825.

Do you know departure time? I would love to go, I have the weekend off but wont do Amtrak and flights are a little out of my price range.

Sorry the statement added to previous post got posted incorrectly. My part of statement said

So Austria has a way to stop it or was there something in Mr. Earl's prior environment that caused the flopping around. Any ideas - maybe poor coordination that might have improved as he aged or different rules or coaching or skate sharpening procedure or or or... Any other ideas lol

I would guess it's a combo of the refs being willing to call diving (which rarely happens here) and a team's intolerance of their players diving (which Wisconsin clearly doesn't have). I just thought it was a striking difference from his days at Wisconsin.