SiouxSports.com Forum

Round 3: North Dakota vs. Weber State

jdub27

You mean listen to them refer to NDSU as UND, will you enjoy that? And what is silly about my statement, so you think anyone outside of most FU fans remember the 09 Kansas game? I know the rest of the country especially those in Lawrence don't.

Huh? I've never actually heard anyone refer to NDSU as UND. I have heard them call NDSU "North Dakota." But that's not even really a mistake.

In any case, what you're saying is no more than a lame rationalization on your part. Of course, people will remember the name, even if they don't specifically remember the game. The more often they hear it, the more they'll remember it. That's the way It works.

Bison fans think they beat Kansas in 2009. They lost by double digits. I hate to break the bad news. When you lose in the first round of the tournament 5 years ago by double digits. NOBODY other than Bison fans remembers. Kansas fans don't even remember. Kansas fans might the remember the last game they played in that tournament when they got beat. That was far from a memorable game for anybody but Bison fans in their imagination. The rest of the country has no memory of that game.

Bison fans think they beat Kansas in 2009. They lost by double digits. I hate to break the bad news. When you lose in the first round of the tournament 5 years ago by double digits. NOBODY other than Bison fans remembers. Kansas fans don't even remember. Kansas fans might the remember the last game they played in that tournament when they got beat. That was far from a memorable game for anybody but Bison fans in their imagination. The rest of the country has no memory of that game.

Weird. Never met anyone who thought our guys won.... was a real fun game to watch though.

Maybe one day UND fans will understand.

Talk about making stuff up! I've never met anyone who thought NDSU won that game.

BTW - it actually was a memorable game. How often do you see a relatively small guy from a school in North Dakota hang almost 40 on the defending national champs?

Talk about making stuff up! I've never met anyone who thought NDSU won that game.

BTW - it actually was a memorable game. How often do you see a relatively small guy from a school in North Dakota hang almost 40 on the defending national champs?

I don't remember much about the game except KU won, and I am a KU basketball fan since 1988.

I know I'll kick myself for chiming in on this mess, but here goes.

Just this week on KFAN they brought up how NDSU gave KU all they could handle in that game. I personally know a dozen KU fans who bring this up every time I see them. I think it actually helps that NDSU beat them and KSU in Football so they have heard the school's name multiple times.

I also have never met an NDSU fan who think NDSU beat KU in that game.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember much about the game except KU won, and I am a KU basketball fan since 1988.

I have watched thousands of thousands of sporting events, perhaps tens of thousands. I'd be hard pressed to give detail on more than 10% of those events, probably even less. But, I doubt I have forgotten the names and details about most of the teams involved. That's just the way it works.

I guarantee you that millions of people are familiar with "NDSU" and "Bison" who might not have been had NDSU lost the Summit League tournament in 2009.

I am neither defending nor condemning the "millions" comments. But it seems to me, it wouldn't be ridiculous to think that a very large number of people were watching a first round NCAA tournament basketball game and watching NDSU play basketball for the very first time. Is a million too many? I don't know, how many people watch first round games?

No one is denying that a lot of people saw that NDSU and Kansas game 5 years ago. The reality of it is, that that game is a dot on the world map of peoples memories other than for Bison fans and a few Kansas fans. I stand by my statement that Kansas's double digit win in the first round of the tourney 5 years over NDSU is long ago lost in the memory banks of most sports fans in this country. Obviously reporters, radio personalties or television commentators who are going to do some kind of a story about NDSU would do their research and report what happened back then. It is going to be necessary to do some research though.

I am neither defending nor condemning the "millions" comments. But it seems to me, it wouldn't be ridiculous to think that a very large number of people were watching a first round NCAA tournament basketball game and watching NDSU play basketball for the very first time. Is a million too many? I don't know, how many people watch first round games?

Are you kidding? It's millions easily. This is a little out dated, but it makes the point:

TELEVISION

Last year (2008), 136.8 million unique TV viewers tuned in to at least one minute of NCAA Tournament coverage on CBS. As the tournament progressed, an increasing amount of households tuned in to the games. During the first round of tournament coverage, 24.6 million households watched at least a portion of the games. By the time Kansas emerged as the Final Four champion, 56 million had caught a few minutes of at least one March Madness game.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/press-room/2009/the_nielsen_companys.html

I am going to go with Jay Bilas and J Williams since they know a little more about basketball than most, in their assessment of RPI and the work of the selection committee.....teams and conferences have learned how to game the system. They said the committee was lucky this year in that the teams that were in the tournament was pretty cut and dry but based on what they were hearing the seeds were going to be a little dubious(this was on Sunday morning when they were discussing this) and they were correct....with teams like Louisville and Michigan State having 4 seeds and having teams like NC State and Xavier technically seeded behind NDSU and Harvard certainly do not do anything for the credibility of the selection committee and their leaning on RPI instead of actually using the "eye test" and watching teams play. By the way Bilas is picking the Bison over OU.

As far as Summit vs. Big Sky, I think it is foolish to not think that NDSU, IPFW , and SDSU wouldn't all be competitive in the Big Sky conference and NDSU would have a shot at finishing in the top 2. That said any of these teams could have just as easily finished 8th as the depth of the league is far greater than the Summit. The top 9 Big Sky teams would all easily be top 5 Summit teams.

I think Weber deserved a better slot than they got. Their non conference losses were to tourney teams BYU and UCLA, a regular season conference champ who lost in their conference tourney in Utah Valley and to Colorado State and Utah State. I think they should have been ahead of Western Michigan, Milwaukee, NC Central, American, Wofford, and possibly Eastern Kentucky which would have pushed them to a 14. NDSU probably got a slightly beneficial slot at 12 as I would have had NC State and Xavier ahead of them in the band of 12 seeds and then Tulsa and Manhatten as well so they would have been the first 13 or last 12 so I don't think they are as over seeded as many UND fans want to believe.

the committee had xavier 46th nc state 47th ndsu 48th

You do realize the top team(NDSU) in the Summit got ran out of the gum by the number 2 team in the Big Sky (UND). Every time you try to make your arguments you keep looking sillier.

and belmont and uab beat UNC. UNC also beat Michigan St and Louisville. TCU beat Tulsa twice. It's a few here that cant grasp the realm of college basketball

I have watched thousands of thousands of sporting events, perhaps tens of thousands. I'd be hard pressed to give detail on more than 10% of those events, probably even less. But, I doubt I have forgotten the names and details about most of the teams involved. That's just the way it works.

I guarantee you that millions of people are familiar with "NDSU" and "Bison" who might not have been had NDSU lost the Summit League tournament in 2009.

Congratulations on being the Wilt Chamberlain of watching sports.

It seems FU fans are always obsessed with getting put on maps, or getting people to look at them like a 2 year old searching for attention.

Honest question: If millions (heck maybe billions if the Chinese were tuned in) watched FU vs. Kansas during that 2009 game, what did those people do, armed with whatever information they gleaned by seeing a big green buffalo lose to a blue bird? Did they all buy yellow clothing? Did they all enroll in goat-roping?

And, after watching 10,000 sporting events in your lifetime, what difference have you personally made for each team, school, etc. that you saw play those games? Any?

Soooo tired of the Bison fans coming on Siouxsports and talking about "exposure" and how many people are looking at them. Especially just a few weeks after the Olympics, which involved a few current and former Sioux athletes, dominated world sports coverage. good grief.

Does anyone in the #ButtSummit ever factor in an average of 6 additional non conference games for each #ButtSummit school as compared to Big Sky schools? 8 #ButtSummit teams, 6 additional non conference games each, equals 48 additional opportunities for #ButtSummitters to get non conference wins and up their #ButtRPI. This is a major flaw of using the #ButtRPI when figuring individual team and conference rankings.

Well when you have a 23-62 non-conference record against D1 teams and play the #25 strength of schedule like the Big Sly did, your RPI is going to be much lower.

It seems FU fans are always obsessed with getting put on maps, or getting people to look at them like a 2 year old searching for attention.

Honest question: If millions (heck maybe billions if the Chinese were tuned in) watched FU vs. Kansas during that 2009 game, what did those people do, armed with whatever information they gleaned by seeing a big green buffalo lose to a blue bird? Did they all buy yellow clothing? Did they all enroll in goat-roping?

And, after watching 10,000 sporting events in your lifetime, what difference have you personally made for each team, school, etc. that you saw play those games? Any?

Soooo tired of the Bison fans coming on Siouxsports and talking about "exposure" and how many people are looking at them. Especially just a few weeks after the Olympics, which involved a few current and former Sioux athletes, dominated world sports coverage. good grief.

What in the world does hockey have to do with this discussion?

What in the world does hockey have to do with this discussion?

That's your response? LOL. Well, you brought up "sporting events", and how you remember the details of those involved. Hockey qualifies as a sporting event. Care to answer the rest of the questions? I didn't think so. Given your immediate response, have fun camping out on siouxsports.com for the night.

Are you kidding? It's millions easily. This is a little out dated, but it makes the point:

TELEVISION

Last year (2008), 136.8 million unique TV viewers tuned in to at least one minute of NCAA Tournament coverage on CBS. As the tournament progressed, an increasing amount of households tuned in to the games. During the first round of tournament coverage, 24.6 million households watched at least a portion of the games. By the time Kansas emerged as the Final Four champion, 56 million had caught a few minutes of at least one March Madness game.

http://www.nielsen.c...n_companys.html

So, the millions and millions of people you are talking about caught a minute of the one of the 60/70 games. Because of this 1 minute of some game they know all about NDSU. It is all so much cleaner now..

So, the millions and millions of people you are talking about caught a minute of the one of the 60/70 games. Because of this 1 minute of some game they know all about NDSU. It is all so much cleaner now..

Especially when that one minute could've been an interview with Bill Self.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: