SiouxSports.com Forum

What's it going to take to hang #8?

yababy8

If you want to get technical about it, the owner of this site actually has the right to edit and control what he allows to be said on this site and who he allows on this site. Or he could assign those rights to other people, such as moderators. This isn't a 1st Amendment issue. The government has nothing to do with it. If the owner of this site chose to remove gfhockey, or any other poster, he could do so. And he could do so with little or no reason as long as it doesn't break discrimination laws. That's actually the way it is in this country on a private web site.

Wow, that's well said. However, I am simply advocating that anyone, including gfhockey and kid, has the right to speak their peace. If the owner wants to kick them of the site for doing so that is his/her choice. But that doesn't change my position that we are all entitled to our own opinion and I will continue to advocate that - unless the site owner kicks me off for doing so.

As for gfhockey and the many of you who react so strongly to his/her posts - why do you continue to constantly respond to them? They routinely appear to be intended solely to irritate and incite inflamatory responses - and are often quite successful. So why continue feeding the fire?

With that, I hope to be done with this detour from this site's true intenetion - discussing Sioux Hockey!!

Wow, that's well said. However, I am simply advocating that anyone, including gfhockey and kid, has the right to speak their peace. If the owner wants to kick them of the site for doing so that is his/her choice. But that doesn't change my position that we are all entitled to our own opinion and I will continue to advocate that - unless the site owner kicks me off for doing so.

As for gfhockey and the many of you who react so strongly to his/her posts - why do you continue to constantly respond to them? They routinely appear to be intended solely to irritate and incite inflamatory responses - and are often quite successful. So why continue feeding the fire?

With that, I hope to be done with this detour from this site's true intenetion - discussing Sioux Hockey!!

Here are some interesting takes on feeding the trolls, and characteristics of trolls.

http://newsfeed.time...-say-its-wrong/

http://pluperfecter....c-internet.html

http://www.dailymail...c-sadistic.html

I recall reading the University of Wisconsin thread maybe a year or two ago over on USCHO. Keep in mind that Wis has a national championship since we last won in 2000, and that Wis has 6 total, a pretty solid history of hockey compared with all others.

What was funny about that discussion, and how it's relevant to our current discussion, is that they took an almost completely opposite view to how some here (gfhockey, Irish, etc...) view the status of their own program.

In their view Eaves' teams have underachieved. Even though he has the one championship, the large majority of Wisconsin fans engaged in that discussion were extremely unhappy. Under Eaves there were no regular season championships. There were no (until last year) Broadmoor championships. Maybe made the tournament half the time. Some sub-500 seasons. The one championship wasn't enough. In fact, some specifically cited UND as a program where even though we hadn't won since 2000, we were competitive for the league titles each year, we were competitive at the Final 5, we were in the tournament with at least a puncher's chance to win the national championship. That was the kind of program they wanted.

I wonder what gfhockey, Irish and the others would say if we were sitting here, now almost 10 seasons into Hak's tenure, and there were no regular season championships, no Broadmoors, maybe a 50/50 chance of even getting into the national tournament, but there was that one, bright shining moment of a single national championship. My guess is they would be just like the Wisconsin fans, the "grass is always greener" approach.

Well said, we do always have a pretty decent shot and this year is shaping up to be no different.

I recall reading the University of Wisconsin thread maybe a year or two ago over on USCHO. Keep in mind that Wis has a national championship since we last won in 2000, and that Wis has 6 total, a pretty solid history of hockey compared with all others.

What was funny about that discussion, and how it's relevant to our current discussion, is that they took an almost completely opposite view to how some here (gfhockey, Irish, etc...) view the status of their own program.

In their view Eaves' teams have underachieved. Even though he has the one championship, the large majority of Wisconsin fans engaged in that discussion were extremely unhappy. Under Eaves there were no regular season championships. There were no (until last year) Broadmoor championships. Maybe made the tournament half the time. Some sub-500 seasons. The one championship wasn't enough. In fact, some specifically cited UND as a program where even though we hadn't won since 2000, we were competitive for the league titles each year, we were competitive at the Final 5, we were in the tournament with at least a puncher's chance to win the national championship. That was the kind of program they wanted.

I wonder what gfhockey, Irish and the others would say if we were sitting here, now almost 10 seasons into Hak's tenure, and there were no regular season championships, no Broadmoors, maybe a 50/50 chance of even getting into the national tournament, but there was that one, bright shining moment of a single national championship. My guess is they would be just like the Wisconsin fans, the "grass is always greener" approach.

In all honesty, I know Wisconsin had 6 titles and that is great however, having lived in Wisconsin I can tell you the majority of people could care less about hockey. They focus in their basketball and football. Grand forks is a little different. Should it be....maybe not.

I hate to return to a comment from Dave Starman on coach Hakstol and Blasi.

DS: These two coaches (Hakstol and Blasi); I mean you can say it about a lot of guys. These two guys specifically, because how close each of them have come to winning a national title and the consistency that they have had getting to the (NCAA) tournament. These are two guys – even though their programs expect a national title: even if they never won a national title, they would still be huge successes as head coaches, because they have developed their players to be either better players, or pro players or where ever the case is, in hockey. The players that don’t wind up playing at the National Hockey League level or even playing pro hockey, wind up going on to be successful, away from the game. I really mean this. These two guys have proven to be exactly what college hockey should be, getting the most of our student athletes from both sides of the equation.

In all honesty, I know Wisconsin had 6 titles and that is great however, having lived in Wisconsin I can tell you the majority of people could care less about hockey. They focus in their basketball and football. Grand forks is a little different. Should it be....maybe not.

Actually, the expression is "couldn't care less" or could not care less," but let's not get bogged down in semantics...agree 100% on your point. Ask 10 people in Wisconsin how many hockey titles UW has, and I bet 1 gets the answer right. Now ask those same 10 what Aaron Rodgers had for breakfast that morning, and I bet 9 get the answer correct.

This is a good read, thanks for that. Can't wait to see comments from some on it. Lol.

When I lived in Wisconsin (Brulé) and worked in Ashland, there was the same amount of hockey talk there as here in EGF. It was fun poking fans about the Sioux being better than the badguys after of course they beat me up about the Vikings. Lol.

Maybe they talked hockey more on the Northern part of the state?

Actually, the expression is "couldn't care less" or could not care less," but let's not get bogged down in semantics...agree 100% on your point. Ask 10 people in Wisconsin how many hockey titles UW has, and I bet 1 gets the answer right. Now ask those same 10 what Aaron Rodgers had for breakfast that morning, and I bet 9 get the answer correct.

I agree, but in this case we're looking at fans of the hockey program, specifically the USCHO UW fan thread. So basically, the general view of UW hockey fans on USCHO was that Eaves' teams underachieve. This doesn't necessarily reflect the general Wisconsin population. I like Eaves as a coach, and others could argue for the underachieving by saying exactly what MM did.

Actually, the exp<b></b>ression is "couldn't care less" or could not care less," but let's not get bogged down in semantics...agree 100% on your point. Ask 10 people in Wisconsin how many hockey titles UW has, and I bet 1 gets the answer right. Now ask those same 10 what Aaron Rodgers had for breakfast that morning, and I bet 9 get the answer correct.

Haha that was great.

When I lived in Wisconsin (Brulé) and worked in Ashland, there was the same amount of hockey talk there as here in EGF. It was fun poking fans about the Sioux being better than the badguys after of course they beat me up about the Vikings. Lol.

Maybe they talked hockey more on the Northern part of the state?

Could be, I just know their youth hockey through high school is very average. It getting a lot better for sure, but it is still average in the grand scheme of things....when talking about the popularity of the sport in that particular state.

Actually, the exp<b></b>ression is "couldn't care less" or could not care less," but let's not get bogged down in semantics...agree 100% on your point. Ask 10 people in Wisconsin how many hockey titles UW has, and I bet 1 gets the answer right. Now ask those same 10 what Aaron Rodgers had for breakfast that morning, and I bet 9 get the answer correct.

I've never been to a game in Madison nor have I spent a whole lot of time around Wisconians. I did go to the Winsc. Vs DU WCHA First round series at Magness Arena and there were about 20 Badger fans there. Conversely, the Kohl center has traditionally been one of the leaders in attendance for college hockey over the years so its kind of hard to say.

Ok, I'll bite being my name was mentioned. First of all, Hak took over UND not Wisconsin. The program he took over had been winning National Championships at the rate of about 1 every 5 years for the last two coaches. We were the Boston College of that era. Where the cheese heads have Badger football and the Packers, UND Hockey is the only game in town on the national stage. I think we need to define what our expectations are (and I think they are different than the Badgers). I see a collective lowering of expectations here - being there is good enough, it's somehow harder, ect. My expectations for this program are some National Championships. I am not saying fire Hak, but I am saying that I am getting frustrated with our lack a championship. A better question might be what BC expects after York retires. Will they be happy with being close but no cigar? In my mind, the expectation that the Sioux Hockey team should win some championships is not unreasonable. Dredging up all of the other programs that haven't gotten it done lately (Red) does not make me happier with our lack of success.
  • Upvote 2

Well if the thread was on USCHO, odds are about 90% of the people commenting are trolls anyway so there's no way they would be happy with the program. Kinda like some of the people around here...;)

In Wisconsin there are a lot of closet hockey fans, depending on what part of the state you are in. It's not the most talked about sport, but there are plenty of knowledgeable fans. It isn't like Minnesota or Michigan where HS titles are a coveted thing, but the Badgers have great interest in some, and are totally disregarded by others. Don't be fooled by the "Wisconsin doesn't care about hockey", they just don't care about it like most around here are used to where it's the number 1 sport.

Oh, and Aaron Rodgers had a cheese, sausage, and onion omelette, blueberry muffin, and two large glasses of orange juice for breakfast. ;)

The reason SJHovey's point is very relevant is because so many people have been trumpeting Scott Sandelin as a model coach. Eaves and Sandy have experienced similar success over the last 10 years, and each has one a single NCAA championship. Granted Duluth and UW fans may expect different things, it is interesting conversation, and I don't think anyone had mentioned Eaves yet.

WWhose job is it to find the playas mafia?

You can't have the best players possible and the highest NHL recruits possible...without taking into consideration that they're likely at UND for at best, 2-3 years. Union, Quinnipiac, Yale...hmnn....those schools might be onto something with those four-year guys.

You can't have the best players possible and the highest NHL recruits possible...without taking into consideration that they're likely at UND for at best, 2-3 years. Union, Quinnipiac, Yale...hmnn....those schools might be onto something with those four-year guys.

look how well it has worked for UND when we had 1st round NHL talent, they didn't stick around too long.