SiouxSports.com Forum

What's it going to take to hang #8?

yababy8

So hheres a simple yes or no question

If hak isnt picking the right playas is he doing his job efficiently?

Is his job to produce nattys or ahl playas?

Simple answer is he is getting both, some players pan out and other don't. As a coach you can't predict how well a player is going to be but if they stick around long enough you can develop them the way you need.

So hheres a simple yes or no question

If hak isnt picking the right player is he doing his job efficiently?

Is his job to produce nattys or ahl players?

I honestly can't believe that you're serious... First, there are 59 teams in college hockey, it's not easy to win a Natty, as you call it, let alone get to the Frozen Four. Second, "if" Hakstol was fired, not likely to happen anytime soon, he would be picked up by another team very fast. Hakstol has had 9+ seasons where he's won 20 or more games... His teams have won four playoff titles, 2 league titles. Qualified for a home series during the Conference tourney in all 10 years he's coached. Went to the NCAA playoffs, in nine straight seasons. I would say, that’s no easy feat, either. Oh yeah, he's won 252 games and has a .645 winning percentage, but for some he’s not a good coach... Lucky for UND, he's not held to you and five other guys’ impossible standards.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 3

Ok, I'll bite being my name was mentioned. First of all, Hak took over UND not Wisconsin. The program he took over had been winning National Championships at the rate of about 1 every 5 years for the last two coaches. We were the Boston College of that era. Where the cheese heads have Badger football and the Packers, UND Hockey is the only game in town on the national stage. I think we need to define what our expectations are (and I think they are different than the Badgers). I see a collective lowering of expectations here - being there is good enough, it's somehow harder, ect. My expectations for this program are some National Championships. I am not saying fire Hak, but I am saying that I am getting frustrated with our lack a championship. A better question might be what BC expects after York retires. Will they be happy with being close but no cigar? In my mind, the expectation that the Sioux Hockey team should win some championships is not unreasonable. Dredging up all of the other programs that haven't gotten it done lately (Red) does not make me happier with our lack of success.

Ok, you can argue that expectations have been lowered on siouxsports.com. I don't agree but here's a better question: Why does it matter if a small sample of Sioux fans on a message board's expectations have been lowered?

The real problem I would have is if Hakstol lowered his expectations and started acting like we had a good run and we were happy to get as far as we did. That has never been shown or alluded to by Hakstol or any player that has played under him. They're the guys that are sitting in the locker room at the end of the season and can't take their jerseys off while they break down in tears because they killed themselves for this program.

Who cares if you think 'our' expectations have been lowered? The program still expects to win it all.

• Upvote 3

Ok, you can argue that expectations have been lowered on siouxsports.com. I don't agree but here's a better question: Why does it matter if a small sample of Sioux fans on a message board's expectations have been lowered?

The real problem I would have is if Hakstol lowered his expectations and started acting like we had a good run and we were happy to get as far as we did. That has never been shown or alluded to by Hakstol or any player that has played under him. They're the guys that are sitting in the locker room at the end of the season and can't take their jerseys off while they break down in tears because they killed themselves for this program.

Who cares if you think 'our' expectations have been lowered? The program still expects to win it all.

Good point... Also, if fans think it's been fun and games around the team this season, it hasn't... It's been crunch time since they started the season 4-7-2. If anything, one could argue that this is Hak's best coaching job so far. There's a lot of pride behind that bench and in that locker room. For the most part this is a very young team with players in key areas that are also very young.

I honestly can't believe that you're serious... First, there are 59 teams in college hockey, it's not easy to win a Natty, as you call it, let alone get to the Frozen Four. Second, "if" Hakstol was fired, not likely to happen anytime soon, he would be picked up by another team very fast. Hakstol has had 9+ seasons where he's won 20 or more games... His teams have won four playoff titles, 2 league titles. Qualified for a home series during the Conference tourney in all 10 years he's coached. Went to the NCAA playoffs, in nine straight seasons. I would say, that’s no easy feat, either. Oh yeah, he's won 252 games and has a .645 winning percentage, but for some he’s not a good coach... Lucky for UND, he's not held to you and five other guys’ impossible standards.

And what is this "impossible standard" to which you refer?

My expectations have not been lowered but they have changed with the game. Today's college hockey is different than 30 years ago, hell even 10 years ago! Hockey used to be such a centralized sport that it never caught on in other parts of the country. With the help of some great young talent in the NHL and some good marketing (some would beg to differ), hockey is starting to catch on in different parts of the country/world which is starting to give us more talented players.

IIf i wasnt serious i wouldnt be on this bored...

Who would u guys bash and personall attack and bully and argue with if i was on here

Bully bully bully...can we please get 4,000 posts of your whining about being picked on? C'mon roughneck tough guy, suck it up!

• Upvote 1

I haven't lowered my expectations for the program at all.

1. I expect the program to be competitive for a national championship. I expect they will be in the NCAA tournament a high majority of the years, with a legitimate chance to advance.

2. I expect the program to be clean. No recruiting scandals. No payments to student athletes. No academic cheating.

3. I expect the players to be treated with the same respect shown to other students, so that they leave the University with fond memories and good feelings about their experience. I want them to be proud to be UND alum, happy to come back and support the University, willing to send their own children there.

4. I expect the team to compete for league and conference tournament titles.

5. Finally, I want the program to be considered in that elite class of 5-7 programs at the top of NCAA college hockey.

In my opinion, the UND hockey program has met those standards under Hakstol, and under his predecessors.

• Upvote 4

Ive been called a moron bafoon idiot dumbbeep a jack beep thats just off top my head. Idk what tohers have been called

The harder you guys go after me the harder i go on thus board

Bring it on

I know I haven't called you those names...

Ive been called a moron bafoon idiot dumbbeep a jack beep thats just off top my head. Idk what tohers have been called

The harder you guys go after me the harder i go on thus board

Bring it on

Cool, an internet tough guy! (Hey look! Now you can add "tough guy" to the list of names you've been called on "thus" "bored")

internet-tough-guy_o_1120814.jpg

• Upvote 1