SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

I think it comes down to fit for the team and Bubba actually going after local kids nice to see even as a bison fan. also UND might be able to offer more playing time right away as for NDSU going more national I don't see that the recruits we have gotten this yr have been from the same areas as before. I have seen some posts and talked to a few people that some of the kids mentioned in your post were pwo targets for ndsu so its not like they didn't like just not enough to give them money right away.   should be fun around here with bubba back.    

one question back do you think he is going to keep going after transfers as much down the line or is this just a way to jump start the program?

Congrats on post #9 - so you are new here? Can I ask what motivated you to take the time to create an account to post on a UND fan site? 

Just to be clear it appears that what you are saying is that the reasons that these student athletes are choosing UND over SU is because UND is offering scholarships while SU is only offering them PWOs and UND is offering playing time right away and SU isn't? Hmmm. What's your thoughts on the possibility that these guys might just like UND better, the coaching staff, the school, the education or that perhaps they understand that UND has dominated SU before and they can be a part of a team that will do it again? 

• Upvote 1

Yes, didn't mean to turn this into a typical NDSU/UND argument. Just was stating most of the local guys UND has gotten are all guys SU would've probably offered most years. I fully realize NDSU has a great class beating out some FBS teams for kids.

from my perspective it looks like NDSU got more kids outside the local area that were maybe higher on their board. Because of that UND got more local kids NDSU would typically offered in most years. If that trend continues each year it could be very good for UND because those local kids was/is how NDSU built the foundation for their dynasty. No i don't think ndsu will slip, just think that could be good for UND. Others have more knowledge than me so i thought I would ask others what they thought?

One last thing I forgot to mention. I've talked with some and Heidelbaugh could be a diamond in the rough at QB. I've only seen him play bball and know he is d1 athlete, but I've heard he could be a big time QB. 6'5 ,great athlete, and strong arm. Long ways to go from Rugby to the big sky, but he could be real good after a few years in the program.

We are talking about North Dakota, Dan.  Stay focused.  

PWO's don't get money so I don't know why you bring up scholarship money.  Also, it's hard to develop PWO's if you don't get them.  But NDSU didn't want any ND PWO's this year, I forgot.  Every other year, yes, but not this year.

I'm happy for you getting those kids.  Let's see in 3 years where they're at?  We'll have PWO's that have a good chance of contributing to the program at some point.  It's never the quantity but the quality as you'll soon find out.

I'm happy for you getting those kids.  Let's see in 3 years where they're at?  We'll have PWO's that have a good chance of contributing to the program at some point.  It's never the quantity but the quality as you'll soon find out.

So you're saying North Dakota PWO's aren't quality?  

I really like this class. Bubba is doing what he said he would. Heart and soul from the Midwest sprinkle in the rest. I also like the 3 toba kids. If UND can get the top 2-3 Winnipeg kids each year that would be awesome. It's a huge untapped football market that is getting better, and UND has a strong history there.

I do have a question for both UND and NDSU fans. As someone who follows local HS football it appears to me Bubba has the better crop of local kids (ND/Northern MN) than NDSU. I realize NDSU has a much better class on paper and from the Twin Cities but I'm just talking ND/Northern MN. In my opinion the HS football in this area is getting better and better and this year had a lot of talent. Curious from those in the know why they think that is?

- NDSU going more national?

- UND offering more money

- Bubba/Schmidt/Rudolph all being from and putting more focus on ND

- Kliman/Hedberg not as good in ND as Bohl/Vigen

Just curious because i watch enough football to know Lawrence, Heidelbaugh, Grady (was an NDSU offer), Blackwell, Hartness twins would probably all be NDSU scholarship offers most years. Ellefson is far and away the top local kid after Johanasson but I think I would take Jade Lawrence over both Robbins and Brooks. I also really like Blackwell and Tristan Hartness at WR. In his highlight video there is a clip or two of Hartness outrunning Ty brooks, impressive. Blackwell didn't have a QB otherwise his stats would've been better, Hartness had his bro.

Curious what some thoughts are? Whatever the reason NDSU's loss could be UNDs gain with the local talent.

Im a Bison fan. I think it's a byproduct of NDSU getting a higher than usual number of high profile players. Dont take this as a slam but UND is struggling vs all the Dakota and MVFC teams right now so it appears Bubba is taking the developmental approach. It's not as sexy as getting the bigger name guys but it works. You just need to be patient. 

I also think that UND will see a benefit if NDSU keeps getting the higher profile guys. Not necessarily any better or worse for NDSU,  just a reality.  I personally hope we always stick to ND kids and I think we will. We have 2 or 3 which isn't that down

So you're saying North Dakota PWO's aren't quality?  

Are you really trying to compare UND's recruiting to NDSU's?  I'd think the last 6 or 7 years speak for itself.  We had no trouble recruiting against  SIU and Bubba then and won't have any trouble now.  (but he's light years ahead of Muss)  We just got a PWO that had a scholarship offer from WIU. 

Are you really trying to compare UND's recruiting to NDSU's?  I'd think the last 6 or 7 years speak for itself.  We had no trouble recruiting against  SIU and Bubba then and won't have any trouble now.  (but he's light years ahead of Muss)  We just got a PWO that had a scholarship offer from WIU. 

Wow, getting a local MN kid w/ family ties to ndsu over Western Illinois... That's a coup... Amazing...

Just speculation on my part, but I'd say (based on his tweets today) that Keelan Poole will be committing pretty soon...

We haven't had many Colorado guys the past couple of years I feel and it's an area I think has the potential to provide some good quality players that can be over looked at times.
  • Upvote 1

Congrats on post #9 - so you are new here? Can I ask what motivated you to take the time to create an account to post on a UND fan site? 

Just to be clear it appears that what you are saying is that the reasons that these student athletes are choosing UND over SU is because UND is offering scholarships while SU is only offering them PWOs and UND is offering playing time right away and SU isn't? Hmmm. What's your thoughts on the possibility that these guys might just like UND better, the coaching staff, the school, the education or that perhaps they understand that UND has dominated SU before and they can be a part of a team that will do it again? 

As to your first question just like to see whats going on up north and some friendly banter back and forth have a lot of und fans that I am friends with so I hope that answers your question

as for your second point I am not saying that that is the only reason is money I also said fit for the program I also do understand there are plenty of more reason I just stated a few I am not tryin to start anything here just try to add a few points or facts from the ndsu side of things      

Good for you...  4 of the ND kids that NDSU targeted were Johanasson, Brooks, Robbins & Grady.  WIth 30 scholarships to hand out 2 straight years hard to compete with that amount of money for some kids.  Ellefson is the real deal and has an offer from Purdue.  A lot of our class have FBS offers so our class is shaping up just fine.  As far as PWO no FCS team develops them as well as NDSU. 

Were does Ellefson play?  4.85 forty and not overly strong.....maybe redshirt and work on his speed/strength for TE?  My dad is from Hawley so he's taking an interest to Ellefson.  The guy I think is scary for SU is the WR from the private school in MN......I forget what private school.

I think We are bringing together a very nice class.  I wouldn't worry about the Ag School cuz  we need to worry about ourselves.  For what it is worth they have another strong class.  They should, they are 4peats.  So we got a couple this year they wanted.  Doesn't matter as long as we get good kids.  We want to get the area kids but those are also the kids most familiar with the AC recent success.  I am not sure what the issue is with JC transfers or FBS transfers.  Same as whether or not kids come from a bif school or small school  If the kid can play, he can play.  A big slow guy can excel against weaker competition so you always need to evaluate his foot quickness and athletic ability. When I saw the Ellefson kid play BB as a Soph I sent his name to Mussman's staff and sent his name to Bubba's staff a year ago.  Although we never got around to offering him, he is a kid I would put down as one we lost to the ag school.  He is 6' 2" and has great quickness and athletic ability.  I would play him at LB and I think he will be every bit as good as Travis Beck. I would agree the Johansson kid was the top recruit in the area I think the Grady kid was next.  Time will tell.  The other area kids will need to deelop and a lot will depend on there work ethic and character and maturity. The Canadian kids are very good recruits and the Ag School offered one of them for those who like to compare.  As far as PWO's, Schobert was a PWO for us and later for the Badgers.  A scholarship would have landed him.  The Hegg kid from the Ag School who I think will play in the NFL was a PWO. There are plenty of kids out there, who both school miss on and these are just two who will likely have NFL careers.  Recruiting is a tough game.  IT isn't just size and speed, but intelligence, Physical and emotional maturity, foot speed and the character of the kids.  This years class is a very good one and for what it is worth, a very good one for the Ag school  Whether or not one is better than the other doesn't matter.  What mattes is what happens on the FB field next fall.

• Upvote 2