SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

I'll give you credit.  You found something as in-depth on this subject as a graduate of the College of Home Economics could handle:

"This is Idaho's last season in FBS."

Might be true, though. 

"

College of Home Ec?   Is that UND's new nickname?    I guess that IS better than your current one.

So, will Idaho going FCS help the Big Sky go FBS? Umm, I don't think so. Dodd aparently does not agree with the Big Sky grand plan.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ty-is-real

Its got to drive Idaho fans bonkers that they are virtual afterthought in football, struggling to make headway, while the Junior College down the road is making national headlines as a BCS/CFP buster.

The Idaho Vandals that say

(NDSU wins 4th straight championship)...but no one seems to care except maybe a few people in North Dakota. This is why Idaho has to remain relevant in the FBS and talk about returning to the Big Sky to play football is asinine.

Those Idaho Vandals?

So, will Idaho going FCS help the Big Sky go FBS? Umm, I don't think so. Dodd aparently does not agree with the Big Sky grand plan.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ty-is-real

Idaho will receive notice from the Sun Belt after this season that their affiliation will not be renewed. Since Idaho has non conference FBS games scheduled through 2019, who is going to pay the millions for Idaho not meeting the requirements of the contracts?

Dodd and you simply haven't done your homework.

NDSU has a big Slummit game right now but you prefer to post here?

Idaho will receive notice from the Sun Belt after this season that their affiliation will not be renewed. Since Idaho has non conference FBS games scheduled through 2019, who is going to pay the millions for Idaho not meeting the requirements of the contracts?

Is there a sports version of Obamacare that will subsidize Idaho and an FBS Big Sky?  Are you kidding me?   Who's going to give a crap about Idaho's 2019 contracts, they will either get dropped, or Idaho will remain an FBS independent . . . whatever.   Minor detail, not of consequence. 

So you are betting the house that Idaho's contract will require the NCAA to legally allow any conference that Idaho joins to magically be declared FBS?  Nope, not in a million years.   If Idaho wants to honor any standing game contract as a FBS school, it can always remain an FBS independent until the contracts expire . . . before moving FCS.  

How you think this will somehow make the Big Sky FBS is crazy talk.

Is there a sports version of Obamacare that will subsidize Idaho and an FBS Big Sky?  Are you kidding me?   Who's going to give a crap about Idaho's 2019 contracts, they will either get dropped, or Idaho will remain an FBS independent . . . whatever.   Minor detail, not of consequence. 

So you are betting the house that Idaho's contract will require the NCAA to legally allow any conference that Idaho joins to magically be declared FBS?  Nope, not in a million years.   If Idaho wants to honor any standing game contract as a FBS school, it can always remain an FBS independent until the contracts expire . . . before moving FCS.  

How you think this will somehow make the Big Sky FBS is crazy talk.

NDSU is so desperate for publicity, they will move up with Idaho and pay every one else's FBS bills. NDSU is just loaded; after all they can only fund 58 FCS scholarships and is well short on Title IX.

NDSU is so desperate for publicity, they will move up with Idaho and pay every one else's FBS bills. NDSU is just loaded; after all they can only fund 58 FCS scholarships and is well short on Title IX.

All you need to know SV is 4 straight NC.  Remember that!

I haven't discussed NDSU, but I see that everything goes back to NDSU for you, huh?   Almost makes you want to crawl back to the Summit so you can have a little control of NDSU's success, doesn't it.  But that would require admitting a Big (Sky) mistake, so I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

If NDSU joins and existing FBS conference, like the rules require, it will be to compete for a conference title.    It won't be to do whatever it is that Idaho calls competing, and whatever you are suggesting the Big Sky do. 

The Idaho Vandals that say

Those Idaho Vandals?

Winning conference titles as an FBS member might bring more prestige than winning national titles as an FCS member, but conference titles are not on the table for Idaho.  They'd be happy just to win a few games.  I'll take being good in the FCS over Idaho's situation any day.   Would any FCS team switch places with where Idaho's at for support as an FBS member?  No

Maybe the NCAA will flex its muscles on Idaho with the 15k attendance requirement just to rid them of the FBS for good. Without Boise State as a conference foe, their attendance is crap in their tiny (FBS standards) dome.

2014:  12,886  (ineligible for postseason due to low APR)

2013:  14,744

2012:  12,582

2011:  11,980

2010: 12,730   (the last year BSU was in the WAC)

2009: 12,576

2008: 15,340  

Idaho needs to keep playing the Auburns and USCs, as they get a million each game. Last year, their game with Florida was canceled because of lightning, but the still got paid $1 mill. The CFP pays Idaho a million. If those go away, who's gonna pay the FCS bill, which isn't that much less?

Idaho is fundraising for a new arena. If they drop to FCS, their fans would be in revolt and their won't be an arena.

Idaho needs to keep playing the Auburns and USCs, as they get a million each game. Last year, their game with Florida was canceled because of lightning, but the still got paid $1 mill. The CFP pays Idaho a million. If those go away, who's gonna pay the FCS bill, which isn't that much less?

Idaho is fundraising for a new arena. If they drop to FCS, their fans would be in revolt and their won't be an arena.

Teams in the FBS need a minimum of 20-25k seat Stadium, 16k is not going to do it especially if you are a disposable FBS team like Idaho or New Mexico St.

Not sure where that quote came from but when was Idaho ever relevant in FBS?

They are a complete and utter failure and I could actually see them dropping FB altogether before dropping back to FCS.

I think they won 8 games a few years ago. Outside of that....no clue

Idaho may stay FBS and struggle, or they may go FCS and struggle financially.   Sure pick your poison Idaho.   Neither do anything to make the Big Sky FBS.

Not sure where that quote came from but when was Idaho ever relevant in FBS?

They are a complete and utter failure and I could actually see them dropping FB altogether before dropping back to FCS.

Idaho was actually decent in FBS when they were in the Big West. But California schools dropped football, and the Big West went to bus league, kicking out NMSU, Utah St, Idaho, etc.

Idaho used to be in the precursor of the PAC8, so Idaho fans somehow think that they have a right to play FBS. When Boise St left the Big Sky, Idaho was bound and determined to follow, even without stadium improvements.

If Idaho drops football, the Big Sky would kick them out.

Idaho was actually decent in FBS when they were in the Big West. But California schools dropped football, and the Big West went to bus league, kicking out NMSU, Utah St, Idaho, etc.

Idaho used to be in the precursor of the PAC8, so Idaho fans somehow think that they have a right to play FBS. When Boise St left the Big Sky, Idaho was bound and determined to follow, even without stadium improvements.

If Idaho drops football, the Big Sky would kick them out.

Doubt it.  They could drop football and still have a seat at the table.   Thy aren't playing Big Sky football today, and still have been welcomed.   There is already 13, what's the difference.

Doubt it.  They could drop football and still have a seat at the table.   Thy aren't playing Big Sky football today, and still have been welcomed.   There is already 13, what's the difference.

i wouldn't say they were welcomed...more like accepted...with certain terms and conditions that may or may not come true. stay tuned bisons fans.