SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO @ NORTH DAKOTA - Saturday

gfhockey

Blais recommended Steve Johnson first. Steve just did not have a degree.

can we just get off the steve johnson love fest. we all know he is a good coach,but there are reasons why he is coaching pee wee hockey now and not college hockey. if johnson really would have wanted to coach at und he could have did what he needed to do to become a candidate. if blais really wanted johnson he would be here in some capacity.

If I hear the blah blah blah Red Berenson excuse one more time I think I'm going to puke. From when Gino took over in 1979 until Blais left North Dakota won 5 National Champuionships - an average of about one every 5 years. Next closest was Lake Superior State with 3. We didn't want to be Michigan then. We were the best program in the country and knew it. Now, we are not. We used to measure success by Nattys. Now we are giving ourselves participation medals. Time to step it up a notch and get it done.

I also would like to point out that Jerry York and Red Berenson took over programs that were in the toilet and rebuilt them into national powers. So when you hear people talk about how long it took for them to win their first NCAA title and why Hakstol should get pretty much all the time he wants to get it done, just remember that little factoid. Dave Hakstol inherited a Porsche and drives it like a Yugo. He has every single tool you need to win at the highest level of Division I hockey, so it's time to ditch the excuses and the B.S. that is spewed on this forum concerning NCAA titles and the importance (or lack thereof) they hold for this program.

I wonder what some of these Blais-lovers would be saying if Dean had stayed here and had the same amount of "success" that he is having at UNO, but here instead.

"Fire Blais, he sucks, the players won't play for him! They should have hired that up-and-coming head coaching ace, Dave Hakstol!"

;):)

I enjoyed the Blais years at UND just as much as the next guy. But guess what? He's gone. He's not coming back. And for all we know, we'd still be at 7 national titles had he stayed.

Time to move on.

I wonder what some of these Blais-lovers would be saying if Dean had stayed here and had the same amount of "success" that he is having at UNO, but here instead.

"Fire Blais, he sucks, the players won't play for him! They should have hired that up-and-coming head coaching ace, Dave Hakstol!"

;):)

I enjoyed the Blais years at UND just as much as the next guy. But guess what? He's gone. He's not coming back. And for all we know, we'd still be at 7 national titles had he stayed.

Time to move on.

Brian, how long does Hak get before one can question him? Another five years? Ten? Blais might not have been around for 2000 if it wasn't for '97...

Brian, how long does Hak get before one can question him? Another five years? Ten? Blais might not have been around for 2000 if it wasn't for '97...

I honestly have no problem with people questioning Hakstol or any coach.

Just the roller coaster ride that seems to follow some fans is just crazy. Everything is fine and dandy when the team is on its streak after the brutal SLU game...then all of a sudden it blows up here after one loss to UNO.

Long term...while the fans would "demand" it sooner (heck, they already are!), but I would bet that Hakstol won't go anywhere unless he has a couple losing seasons in a row.

Just the roller coaster ride that seems to follow some fans is just crazy. Everything is fine and dandy when the team is on its streak after the brutal SLU game...then all of a sudden it blows up here after one loss to UNO.

Long term...while the fans would "demand" it sooner (heck, they already are!), but I would bet that Hakstol won't go anywhere unless he has a couple losing seasons in a row.

^^^^^^^THIS!

So you agree with the assessment that 5-7 more seasons of 25-30 wins with no NCAA title(s) shouldn't be reason enough to start a national coaching search?

Not to throw gas on the fire but Blais has won championships at every level high school, college and world jrs. Hakstol has none of that to his credit

I know he didn't win one while head coaching in Minot. That was Gary Samson in 1992. the game winner was scored by Mr. Hockey Tom Philion a Fighting Sioux Alum.

Wins 249 Losses 128 Ties 40 with a .(.645%) 10 season with 20 or more wins.... You would think we're talking about a crappy coach here.

Hakstol = Woog (without the cash-in-a-hat-under-the-desk scandal)

Woog was pushed out after just a couple of poor seasons and I think the lack of an NCAA title was a factor. Gino brought home 3 NCAA titles and was forced out after three losing seasons, but those UND teams were much worse than anything Woog ever put on the ice for the Goofs. If Woog had won even one NCAA title, he might have had more rope to work with and might have survived the very brief down period.

A couple of poor seasons for Hakstol without a NCAA title in previous years could result in the same thing (most likely a behind-closed-doors resignation agreement). I could see Hakstol getting an assistant coaching job in the NHL and I could see him hanging around the league for years to come. He isn't a "crappy coach", it's just possible that he isn't the right person to take us to the top once again. But I would love to be proven wrong on that; it would be a shame for Hakstol not to have at least one NCAA title before he leaves Grand Forks.

Wins 249 Losses 128 Ties 40 with a .(.645%) 10 season with 20 or more wins.... You would think we're talking about a crappy coach here.

Agreed - I don't think most people are calling for his head - but we want to see a Natty or two. I don't think there's any question that we are down a notch in achievement since he took over. It appears Hak has a stubborn streak that fans jump on when things aren't great (I'm looking at you, dump and chase) We need to get this done and this year doesn't look like it. Next year the excuse will be that we are too young. Bottom line is that we aren't far away from the longest title drought in Sioux history.

Do that at Kentucky or North Carolina and you're more than likely gone. Go 15 years (five more for Hak) and never win it all = gone. I thought UND was the UK or UNC equivalent in NCAA hockey?

Do that at Kentucky or North Carolina and you're more than likely gone. Go 15 years (five more for Hak) and never win it all = gone. I thought UND was the UK or UNC equivalent in NCAA hockey?

Dean Smith started coaching UNC in 1961 and didn't win a title until 1982. Turned out waiting it out on that guy was a good idea.

• Upvote 2

Kentucky NCAA titles: 1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998, 2012

UNC NCAA titles: 1924, 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009

Sioux NCAA hockey titles: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

Those are interesting title year statistics. UND's due.

Appears so. Kind of what we are talking about, huh?

I didn't know that UNC and KU went that far between titles. The Boston Bruins went 39 years.

What year is it? Times are a bit different now.

Comparing that UNC program in 1961 to this UND hockey program is not even close either.

Didn't Dean Smith start at North Carolina before Civil Rights forced the integration of colleges and universities in the South, which lead to schools like UNC recruiting and accepting black athletes? That might explain some of it.