SiouxSports.com Forum

Contacting recruits who have verbally comitted elsewhere

CMSioux

Been a lot of buzz over the years about the ethics associated with a school contacting a player who has already verbally committed to another school. Seem to remember that at least one UND football recruit got a phone call from another school's coach after they had verbally committed to UND. Now the shoe is on the other foot and it seems they don't like it.

I know I've read in Sports Illustrated stories that the big schools have no problem continuing to contact players who have verballed.

Been a lot of buzz over the years about the ethics associated with a school contacting a player who has already verbally committed to another school. Seem to remember that at least one UND football recruit got a phone call from another school's coach after they had verbally committed to UND. Now the shoe is on the other foot and it seems they don't like it.

I know I've read in Sports Illustrated stories that the big schools have no problem continuing to contact players who have verballed.

As SFI pointed out in a recent tweet, there is not a D1 staff in the country who doesn't do this. Is what it is.

The article in the Forum says Bohl and Taylor has a deal where if Bohl leaves he can't take any verbal players away from NDSU for ONE year (which is now the 2014 season). Taylor mentions ethics (IMO he has none ex. player arrests) and how he trusts Bohl. NDSU president wanted 2 years but Taylor said one was enough. With no penalty in the agreement I would think any player is fair game until the dotted line is signed. Offseason will be interesting.

I remember in the Joe Mollberg article (maybe someone can find it, GF Herald), that Joe had verballed to UND, then NDSU won the title and Bohl called him asked him if he was sure about that. Maybe I'm wrong but there was like a 3 part article about Joe Mollberg's recruitment. I think if fans of either school get upset about it, it's kind of throwing stones in a glass house.

The article in the Forum says Bohl and Taylor has a deal where if Bohl leaves he can't take any verbal players away from NDSU for ONE year (which is now the 2014 season). Taylor mentions ethics (IMO he has none ex. player arrests) and how he trusts Bohl. NDSU president wanted 2 years but Taylor said one was enough. With no penalty in the agreement I would think any player is fair game until the dotted line is signed. Offseason will be interesting.

I have heard that part of the contract is unenforceable as it should be. It's just false hope...

Off the top of my head in the last two years:

-Mollberg committed to UND and Bohl called him from TCF Bank stadium right before the UM game shortly after anyway.

-Joe Schobert was committed to UND and NDSU came after him hard after a summer all-star game even though there was no prior offer. He turned NDSU down. UW also came after him and ultimately got him. Not going to hold the UW thing against him, any kid who is committed at the FCS and gets a local B1G offer is going to take it.

Don't know if there was more. Not all that concerned about it. It happens and will continue to happen.

I remember in the Joe Mollberg article (maybe someone can find it, GF Herald), that Joe had verballed to UND, then NDSU won the title and Bohl called him asked him if he was sure about that. Maybe I'm wrong but there was like a 3 part article about Joe Mollberg's recruitment. I think if fans of either school get upset about it, it's kind of throwing stones in a glass house.

I also head the Bohl/Moberg story but only Joe knows if that is true. Also heard from a parent of a UND player that FU coaches contacted recruits and said if they played for FU they would guarantee they played for a national championship (and that was during their 20 year playoff hosting drought.).

http://www.inforum.c...9/group/Sports/

Klieman said this week NDSU has between 13 and 17 verbal commitments. There are currently 15 reported verbals. Signing day is Feb. 5, the first day athletes can make it official.

UND has 4 so far...is that low at this point of the offseason or is NDSU's 15 reported verbals average to high.

I also head the Bohl/Moberg story but only Joe knows if that is true.

I can assure you it is true. It was printed in a story done about his recruiting story. Note that the "soft verbal" was because Mussman told him he completely understands if Iowa was to come in with an offer that Joe would take it.

“Last night Joe made probably the most difficult and adult phone call he has ever made. He called NDSU to tell them that at this time they are No. 3 on his list of schools. It was tough to do, but he handled it well.

He truly likes NDSU and all they have done and offered but it just has not seemed the ‘right fit.’

Saturday: Joe traveled to UND where he attended the UND game honoring the 2001 National Championship team. After the game Joe went into the locker room with the team and informed the coaches that he was making a ‘soft verbal’ commitment to UND.

The coaches were ecstatic and there were hugs and high fives all around the locker room. Three of the coaches then came out to find Patty and myself and ‘welcome us to the UND family.’ It was an exciting time for Joe and you could just see the months of indecision and torment fall from his shoulders.”

But NDSU’s Bohl still would make his final pitch that same evening, calling Mollberg and leaving a voice message, thus proving he is always the recruiter.

“At 6 p.m. on Saturday night, the NDSU Bison played the Gophers at TCF. Coach Bohl left a voice message saying, “Joe, this is Coach Bohl... I am standing on the 50-yard line at TCF... etc... etc...”

http://www.inforum.c...9/group/Sports/

UND has 4 so far...is that low at this point of the offseason or is NDSU's 15 reported verbals average to high.

I think they're high and we are low, I said that a month ago already. I doubt we'll get much more in the way of verbals before signing day. What ever we get will sign on the dotted line of Feb 5 I'm not worried about the numbers we get a signing, but little concerned on quality. The uncommitted crowd seems to be getting pretty picked over and I'm thinking this years class will be down. Next year will be better with a different recruiting philosophy.
  • Upvote 1

I also head the Bohl/Moberg story but only Joe knows if that is true. Also heard from a parent of a UND player that FU coaches contacted recruits and said if they played for FU they would guarantee they played for a national championship (and that was during their 20 year playoff hosting drought.).

Kind of like UND coaches telling players they were going to play at Hawaii and be building a new outdoor stadium? Well I guess NDSU recruits did get to play for a National Championship.........