SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

So new staff confirmed so far:

HC - Bubba

OC - Rudolph

DC - Schmidt

DL - Gigli

DB - Rodgers

I would guess Schmidt would take on the LB's so the defensive side should be set. Still need someone to handle Special Teams and the offensive coaches (OL,RB, WR and QB, though I would think Rudolph would take one of those) plus recruiting coordinator, which is usually a position coach. Feel free to let me know if I missed something/someone.

So new staff confirmed so far:

HC - Bubba

OC - Rudolph

DC - Schmidt

DL - Gigli

DB - Rodgers

I would guess Schmidt would take on the LB's so the defensive side should be set. Still need someone to handle Special Teams and the offensive coaches (OL,RB, WR and QB, though I would think Rudolph would take one of those) plus recruiting coordinator, which is usually a position coach. Feel free to let me know if I missed something/someone.

I was just typing up the same type of list. The SiouxFB guys had the hiring brings the defensive staff to 4. I don't know who the 4th is, Myers? Also, defensively last year we had a CB coach and a safety coach so I would assume at least one more full time defensive coach if there is not a 4th out there. Offensively I think you are correct. Also, need to add grad assistants. Plenty of spots left to fill.

The UND Sports article on the Rodgers & Gigli hires said that there are 9 assistant positions on Bubba's staff. 4 have been filled so 5 spots left to fill...

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209361805

With the additions of Gigli and Rodgers to his staff, Schweigert has now filled four of nine openings. He named his offensive, Paul Rudolph; and defensive, Eric Schmidt; coordinators late last week.

I was just typing up the same type of list. The SiouxFB guys had the hiring brings the defensive staff to 4. I don't know who the 4th is, Myers? Also, defensively last year we had a CB coach and a safety coach so I would assume at least one more full time defensive coach if there is not a 4th out there. Offensively I think you are correct. Also, need to add grad assistants. Plenty of spots left to fill.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Bubba helps with the secondary. Will be interesting to see who Bubba/Rudolph can get for position coaches on the offensive side. Still wondering if Fruend and/or Schleusner will be back in some capacity. Or any of the other position coaches? Haven't saw if any of them have caught on anywhere yet.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Bubba helps with the secondary. Will be interesting to see who Bubba/Rudolph can get for position coaches on the offensive side. Still wondering if Fruend and/or Schleusner will be back in some capacity. Or any of the other position coaches? Haven't saw if any of them have caught on anywhere yet.

I wouldn't want Schleusner back. He seemed to coddle his wrs unlike his predecessor who was a hard ass.

I guess we will find out in about a month. Both staffs are getting started at about the same time. We will see who gets the best ND kids very soon.

Right, cause it's a really even playing field too (see three NC's). Doesn't NDSU already have 2-3 ND kids locked up, presumably the better players in state? NDSU also has continuity on the staff and UND has zero. Big for recruiting - no recreating the wheel on their end.

Not exactly even.

Right, cause it's a really even playing field too (see three NC's). Doesn't NDSU already have 2-3 ND kids locked up, presumably the better players in state? NDSU also has continuity on the staff and UND has zero. Big for recruiting - no recreating the wheel on their end.

Not exactly even.

Yeah, I think you are right. I mean, Roger Thomas found that out the hard way when he took over in 1986 and wasn't able to accomplish anything of merit.....oh wait, he DID, didn't he? :silly:

This whole "NDSU is great and will be great forever, which means we are screwed forever" mentality needs to stop. Thank God Bubba doesn't think like that!

Yeah, I think you are right. I mean, Roger Thomas found that out the hard way when he took over in 1986 and wasn't able to accomplish anything of merit.....oh wait, he DID, didn't he? :silly:

This whole "NDSU is great and will be great forever, which means we are screwed forever" mentality needs to stop. Thank God Bubba doesn't think like that!

^^^^^^ this!!

He is reffering to this year. Rt didn't turn und around in year one and if you think ndsu current success doesn't affect recruiting you aren't thinking clearly. The situation can be corrected but it will not happen over night.

He is reffering to this year. Rt didn't turn und around in year one and if you think ndsu current success doesn't affect recruiting you aren't thinking clearly. The situation can be corrected but it will not happen over night.

That's right it won't be overnight, and NDSU will win the recruiting battles until they show signs of weakening and we show signs of strength. It took RT 8 years to conquer the Bison on the field, in the conference and on the recruiting trail. But since we aren't playing them (until the playoffs happen), and we play in a difference conference, we could conquer the state in a shorter period of time if we start winning BSC titles, and playoff games but in turn the Bison need to have some 6-5 years and miss the playoffs for it to happen. One season at a time. An FBS win, a .500 season and or a playoff berth, would be great the first season of Bubba ball...just show some kind of improvement.

Thank you for understanding what I wrote.

Since the conversation has turned to Bubba and his hiring of assistants I thought I would throw this in here: Strong gets named HC at Texas on Monday and Louisville will probably name it's new head coach tomorrow...potentially 4 days to hire a new HC...not 4+ weeks. And Bobby Petrino is a candidate...and our HR dept. sent Pflu down the river. Just saying...

• Upvote 1

Since the conversation has turned to Bubba and his hiring of assistants I thought I would throw this in here: Strong gets named HC at Texas on Monday and Louisville will probably name it's new head coach tomorrow...potentially 4 days to hire a new HC...not 4+ weeks. And Bobby Petrino is a candidate...and our HR dept. sent Pflu down the river. Just saying...

I was definitely in the Pflugrad bandwagon. But he obviously wasn't hired because if his coaching baggage. If he was such a hit commodity, how come no one has hired him...not even as an assistant. Just saying, that says something. UND made the right decision with him.

I was definitely in the Pflugrad bandwagon. But he obviously wasn't hired because if his coaching baggage. If he was such a hit commodity, how come no one has hired him...not even as an assistant. Just saying, that says something. UND made the right decision with him.

And Bobby Petrino is without baggage? And at a school, which is a top15-20 FBS program, he left hanging already once.......

The Pflu situation at UND is what it is, but if Louisville can give Petrino another look...wow!

Weber St didn't even make him a finalist for their head coaching job and he was on their staff already. Just saying...