SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: New Head Coach

bincitysioux

New HC Poll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer gets the job?

• Bubba Schwiegert
    • Kalen DeBoer

Couple of you Bubba haters are becoming laughable. I get it if you don't want him to be the next HC at UND. I also get it if you want "new blood" for the next HC at UND. But the fact that you dismiss and throw anything Bubba did anywhere under the bus as not applicable is a complete joke. Bubba had amazing success at UND both as a position coach and as the DC. Bubba had success at UMD, even if you don't want to accept it. Coach of the year in 2005. Was the NCC different compared to 1997? Sure. But in 2005 Bubba beat Mankato, UNO, USD and St. Cloud State. Lost twice to UND, second time in the playoffs 12-23 and then UND lost the next week at Grand Valley State. If Bubba gets blamed for not having to play UNC, NDSU and SDSU...does that mean UND's records in those years are discarded too? Now, his entire time at SIU is considered a failure because of rumors/speculation that the entire staff might get axed after next year? As mentioned before, SIU was one dumb scheduling mistake away from being in the playoffs this year...and they had a team that could have made a little noise IMO. If there has been one knock on the staff at SIU, from what I hear, is that they might not always land the "inner city" type of kids (have you looked on a map where Carbondale is located?)...and sometimes the "midwestern boys" are getting blamed for not being able to do it. Guess where the "midwestern boys" are good at recruiting? Snap a finger and I'd take every single staff member at SIU in kelly green right now! This is Bubba's dream job, make it happen Faison...UND messed this up in 2008 by not opening the position externally, don't mess it up again!

Well said!!!!

Couple of you Bubba haters are becoming laughable. I get it if you don't want him to be the next HC at UND. I also get it if you want "new blood" for the next HC at UND. But the fact that you dismiss and throw anything Bubba did anywhere under the bus as not applicable is a complete joke. Bubba had amazing success at UND both as a position coach and as the DC. Bubba had success at UMD, even if you don't want to accept it. Coach of the year in 2005. Was the NCC different compared to 1997? Sure. But in 2005 Bubba beat Mankato, UNO, USD and St. Cloud State. Lost twice to UND, second time in the playoffs 12-23 and then UND lost the next week at Grand Valley State. If Bubba gets blamed for not having to play UNC, NDSU and SDSU...does that mean UND's records in those years are discarded too? Now, his entire time at SIU is considered a failure because of rumors/speculation that the entire staff might get axed after next year? As mentioned before, SIU was one dumb scheduling mistake away from being in the playoffs this year...and they had a team that could have made a little noise IMO. If there has been one knock on the staff at SIU, from what I hear, is that they might not always land the "inner city" type of kids (have you looked on a map where Carbondale is located?)...and sometimes the "midwestern boys" are getting blamed for not being able to do it. Guess where the "midwestern boys" are good at recruiting? Snap a finger and I'd take every single staff member at SIU in kelly green right now! This is Bubba's dream job, make it happen Faison...UND messed this up in 2008 by not opening the position externally, don't mess it up again!

Not sure if you are specifically referencing me as one of those people, but here is my answer: I'm not hating on Bubba, I think he is a great finalist candidate, wouldn't be surprised if he got the job and would support him 100%. I'm just trying to figure out where people are coming from when they say he is head and shoulders above DeBoer? They keep referencing that his players won a title at Duluth after he left and that he didn't do as well with his players because he played in a tougher conference. Both valid poitns, but I think I am more impressed with how well he did as a DC at UND than anything he did at Duluth outside of the head coaching experience he got. I do think Bubba would bring in a stronger staff and would be more long term.

Just curious, I keep seeing people say that UND is Bubba's dream job, yet the only place I can find reference to that is here. Is that something that he has actually said to people or just what people are assuming? I really don't know.

"Bubba's dream job" on this board seems much like the comment that Bollinger "bleeds green", but wore red (red of one of UND's biggest hockey rivals at that) and turned down the job at UND. Not hating on Bubba, just agreeing with jdub about that particular comment.

• Upvote 1

"Bubba's dream job" on this board seems much like the comment that Bollinger "bleeds green", but wore red (red of one of UND's biggest hockey rivals at that) and turned down the job at UND. Not hating on Bubba, just agreeing with jdub about that particular comment.

I am aware of Bubba making that comment but it was a few years ago - I don't know if it continues to apply today.

Don't think Brooks turned down the job. Just wanted to clear that up.

sorry, thought either ira or vince had posted that BB had been contacted and was not interested, but I'm old and memory is not as good as it used to be. my apologies.

I remember reading the same thing in one of the threads...but I'm getting old too.

I received the following text from a good friend who is a former 4-year letterwinner and now booster at USD. (On a side note, he has tremendous respect for UNDs program. As he says they were consistently the toughest and meanest SOBs his teams played against.)

Do you think Faison has something in the works with the MVFC and Summit and that is why you have two finalists with ties to that geography?

I told him no, but I hadn't considered the angle.

If the hope is to recruit top talent to UND, I don't think Schweigert is the man for the job. He is good at the X's and O's, but not at getting the Johnny's and Joe's.

This coming from someone that was recruited by him. Of course he was competing with the now Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, so maybe it isn't a fair comparison.

I just think the youth and energy that DeBoer brings would have a better impact on recruiting. For those wanting the traditional 3-4 defense that Schweigert installed, obviously DeBoer has the connections at SIU to bring that scheme back, or go a different way if he feels that is what is best.

If the hope is to recruit top talent to UND, I don't think Schweigert is the man for the job. He is good at the X's and O's, but not at getting the Johnny's and Joe's.

This coming from someone that was recruited by him. Of course he was competing with the now Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, so maybe it isn't a fair comparison.

I just think the youth and energy that DeBoer brings would have a better impact on recruiting. For those wanting the traditional 3-4 defense that Schweigert installed, obviously DeBoer has the connections at SIU to bring that scheme back, or go a different way if he feels that is what is best.

I am also inclined to lean towards DeBoer at this point. For the record I wanted Bubba over Mussman when Lennon left but we chose not to open up the job and the results are what they are at this point.

Maybe DeBoer would reach out to his former DC, Chuck Morrell who is now the head coach at Montana Tech....Or bring Schmidt with him from SIU....good either way.

31To3HEjbJL.jpg31prN8G27EL._AA160_.jpg

Interesting. You would know. I have talked to him a few times and thought he was very personable. I don't know who would be better. Done is good!!

It appears our personal experiences and opinions on Bubba differ. Depends on the kid he's recruiting I guess. To each, their own. Pretty subjective that way no matter who the recruiter or recruit is.

From a recruiting standpoint; is he Urban Meyer, Hugh Freeze or Ed Orgeron? Nope.

Do I think we disagree on him as a recruiter and how successful his staff would be collectively on the recruiting trail? Yep.

That's fair. All good.

If you talk to a majority of coaches in North Dakota, Bubba will get us back in the door. We haven't done a good job the last few years reaching out to these coaches, Bubba was the man recruiting ND when he left. As far as recruiting against Bradley, a majority of that was done by Hedberg with taking over that territory just prior to Bradley leaving. I'm just going off of what I have heard from coaches in Bismarck, Dickinson, Minot etc but I have way more confidence in Bubba in getting back in good standing with our new staff.

As far as recruiting other areas, our assistants need to be better. The last few years we only had a couple coaches hauling in the players. I'm going to assume Freund stays and he is a better fit in Wisconsin than he was in AZ. We need someone who will do a better job in the cities although Kotelnicki got a few guys from there last year after he was moved from the Nebraska territory. I don't disagree that Bubba is busting with charisma and energy but our assistant coaches can do a better job than they have in the past.

from the SIU board:

Re: DeBoer and Schweigert finalists for UND job

icon_post_target.gifby oberkfell ยป Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't know who I would rather lose. Probably neither at this point.

Although DeBoer has bored me to death over these lean times at SIU, his offense is usually effective. Not exciting, but never the less decent.

Schwigert's (Really Lennon's) vaunted 3-4 defense is puzzling. Appears to me it's a complex scheme that requires the right athletes, of which we have lacked recently. On the other hand, I spoke with a Defense Coordinator that said the 3-4 is no different than a 4-3 in terms of complexity.

their board is not very active about this subject, only 16 posts in that thread. does their apathy say anything?