SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

You referred to the team culture earlier in this thread, which I thought was appropriate. How does bringing in JUCOs help with that?

Sometimes in order to turn it around, you have no choice but to bring in some "lunch pail and hard hat" guys that play with a ton of UND pride and have a chip on their shoulder. Sure they are less recruited and probably less talented in most cases. But they will be coachable, hopefully academically stable and will represent UND and the community well on and off the field.

I guess we just disagree on this one.

If we have to bring in juco there are plenty out there that would be hungry to prove themselves, they aren't all Clordion Kennedy.

The team was 3-8 this year. Sure some of that falls on the coaches. But, do you think maybe you could put some of the blame of the lack of success of the team on players that were not 100% committed to the program? These are the players that are jumping ship to other schools. Like Sic said. Just opens the door for someone who is committed to the program to play.

Five wins... closer games....better disciplined players on and off the field... loss of some players-don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out..

More pride in the program is the overall goal. To win every game will and shall be the goal of the team taking the field.

Did anybody ever hear what exactly happened to Kuksa?

During the Portland State game Kuska laid probably the most vicious hit I have seen all season on the RB from PSU has he tried to turn a 360 after going thru the line untouched. He absolutely exploded on him with a direct hit with his helmet to the kid's chest. The PSU RB, who was a solid 210, was laid out flat on his back. The entire crowd went "Ouch..." Kuska jumped up, pumped his fist, and played the rest of the game. Next morning he complained of neck pain. It was the biggest hit I had seen all year on anybody from any team.

Sometimes you have no choice but to bring in some jucos and transfers to bridge the gap, especially if there are more major contributors that leave.

Jucos are looking for a home. Theyve had two more years to mature and would adopt UND as there home if given a chance. A few of these in the right places certainly couldnt hurt. But I wouldnt base my team core around them. as you are building for the future.

Jucos are looking for a home. Theyve had two more years to mature and would adopt UND as there home if given a chance. A few of these in the right places certainly couldnt hurt. But I wouldnt base my team core around them. as you are building for the future.

Teams built on transfers end up like PSU, lots of talent (all show) but few wins (no go).

• 4 weeks later...

Missouri St will win by 3 TD's and Portland St is also a loss.

Missouri St. is a pretty good team. It will be a tough game, but I fully expect North Dakota squeak that one out on the road. Playing the 2nd place MVFC team is a far cry from playing the 2nd place Big Sky team.

We nearly beat Portland St. on the road last year. I feel we sould win by 10 at the Alerus.

With newly found enthusiasm with the hiring of Coach Schweigert, I'm thinking minimum 4 wins, best case 6 wins.

I think Robert Morris, Portland St., Weber, and UNC are all wins.

Missouri St., Southern Utah, and Stony Brook are all very winnable. We could very well take 2 out of 3 from those games.

Given where we are at, 4 wins would be progress. IMO 6 wins would be a smashing success, and honestly it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Regardless of the W-L record, I expect a fundamentally sound, better disciplined, less schizophrenic team, in 2014.

......... i feel there is no reason that UND should miss the playoffs any given year. GO SIOUX

In a couple years, I'll feel the same way.

I never thought playoffs were a realistic possibility in 2013. We lost a lot of skill from a just a 5 win team in 2012. Never expected just 3 wins either though..............

I honestly expect Bubba to improve this team in terms of wins from 2013 to 2014. That means anywhere from 4 to 6 wins. There won't be any playoffs, but with the right defensive systems put in motion, I expect 2015 to be the first year we challenge for a postseason bid. Not to mention we'll have a junior quarterback that season - that goes a long way.

Well, if I read this interactive Knight Commission Report on Intercollegiate Athletics right....UND spendt $35,823 per football player in 2011. The FBS median is $102,128. The Gophers spend $199,826 and I did not get the Big Ten figures but some schools are significantly over $200,000. Income is not listed that I could find....

So, looks like we need more $$$$ for football!

Bubba

Ball

Began already!!!

Well, if I read this interactive Knight Commission Report on Intercollegiate Athletics right....UND spendt $35,823 per football player in 2011. The FBS median is $102,128. The Gophers spend $199,826 and I did not get the Big Ten figures but some schools are significantly over $200,000. Income is not listed that I could find....

So, looks like we need more $$$$ for football!

Bubba

Ball

Began already!!!

It isn't really fair to compare FBS to FCS when it comes to money.

Good coaches do a lot more than just recruit good players; they change the culture and discipline of a team too. Considering many good college football coaches have set a precedent for quick turnarounds, and Bubba has the potential to be a very good head coach at UND, I expect this team to be very competitive by year 2. Playoffs should come in year 3, but it's possible it could happen even sooner.