SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Webcast

siouxfan512

I've been trying to watch the football stream on Big Sky/America One and it's pixelating, freezing, and buffering. First time I've had that problem with america one. Switched to the Montana/Cal Poly stream and it works perfectly, back to UND and again it's pixelating, freezing and buffering. The problem is coming out of GF and nowhere else (maybe it's midco).

I can already tell that Midco/UND has changed how they're sending the game to AmericaOne this game. It's the straight truck feed where in past weeks it went to Midco HQ and then was uplinked. It could be that the internet at the Alerus is not strong enough to handle this high quality of the stream. It could be that the computer UND uses for football isn't fast enough. Lots of different possible reasons, just wish they could get it figured out so we get the HQ feed without the buffering issues.

I've been trying to watch the football stream on Big Sky/America One and it's pixelating, freezing, and buffering. First time I've had that problem with america one. Switched to the Montana/Cal Poly stream and it works perfectly, back to UND and again it's pixelating, freezing and buffering. The problem is coming out of GF and nowhere else (maybe it's midco).

Lots of buffering and skipping ahead but no pixelating for me using Apple TV via iPad to view today's football game.

I can already tell that Midco/UND has changed how they're sending the game to AmericaOne this game. It's the straight truck feed where in past weeks it went to Midco HQ and then was uplinked. It could be that the internet at the Alerus is not strong enough to handle this high quality of the stream. It could be that the computer UND uses for football isn't fast enough. Lots of different possible reasons, just wish they could get it figured out so we get the HQ feed without the buffering issues.

Truck feed was confirmed by Matt Schill, they saw the problems, and won't be doing it again. Now we have the problem of actually wanting to watch this football team.

I was excited to hear on the forum that Friday's game could be steamed live on a HDTV via Apple TV and Air Play through an iPhone, so Saturday morning I bought an Apple TV at Target (on sale!). I was generally pleased with Friday's webast on HDTV via a laptop, but the "full screen" option didn't completely fill the TV screen, it was kind of "stop motion" in character, and hooking up my laptop to my TV is kind of clunky. I was disappointed to learn that webcast via iPhone was not available Saturday, at least not until the 3rd period. I hooked up my laptop to my TV for the first two periods and I think the quality was even better than on Friday - more smooth, less "stop motion". For the third period, I used the Apple TV via iPhone app on my iPad - I was blown away - very easy to use, completely filled the TV screen, very smooth imaging and a very good picture. Maybe not completely HD, but definitely the best webcast I've seen on my TV - much better than the FCS broadcast of years past, and better even than the SD broadcast via FTA satellite. If you have a compliant iPod, IPad, or iPhone with high speed wreless internet (I'm using a cable modem and wireless router with Comcast internet service), I highly recommend Apple TV - I only hope my third period experience from last night is typical - if so, I will be completely satisfied - it is the best option so far for regularly watching home Sioux games - a complete home run. I think the picture may improve to true HD if and when Neulion make an app specfically for Apple TV. Thanks Jayson et al!

Using the lightening AV adapter, and the iphone ap on an ipad, the video does not fill the entire TV screen, it just mirrors the screen size on the ipad. Was hoping it did the same as apple TV, but it does not. Maybe when the ipad ap is available?

Any word from UND regarding webcast improvements? I was impressed with the webcast initially, but the US-U18 game was so terrible I almost turned it off several times. Skipping, extremely glitchy and blurred images. It was almost like the camera could not keep up when it had to follow plays. Extremely dissappointing to see a product like that after commiting to a full years payment. Hoping to see a big improvement this weekend!

Any word from UND regarding webcast improvements? I was impressed with the webcast initially, but the US-U18 game was so terrible I almost turned it off several times. Skipping, extremely glitchy and blurred images. It was almost like the camera could not keep up when it had to follow plays. Extremely dissappointing to see a product like that after commiting to a full years payment. Hoping to see a big improvement this weekend!

Did you let Neulion know that you had a problem? They can't look for a problem unless people let them know about it.

I did not have that problem. A couple of slight skips but that was all. I did notice though there is like a slight stutter for lack of better word. Is this common? I could see the helmets shining on the bench and the ice spraying off of skates.

Jayson,

I think you've posted that an ipad ap is in the works, is that correct? I'm unable to get the iphone ap on ipad to go full screen, not sure if that's a product of the app, or, if the actual ipad app, when available, will solve that problem. Is the ap close to ready?

Guess apple TV does this with the iphone app on an ipad, but the corded adapter does not. Another chance I took going the half price version (cord vs. apple tv).

Any word on if they switched from flash to html5 yet? I wanna know if I can use my Xbox or home theatre to pull it up rather than my computer.

I asked neulion that question, since they are the one's making the change (und will then publish an ipad app). Neulion, once again gives me a canned response, "You will have to check with UND for that" . The most worthless support (neulion) one could ever experience.

I asked neulion that question, since they are the one's making the change (und will then publish an ipad app). Neulion, once again gives me a canned response, "You will have to check with UND for that" . The most worthless support (neulion) one could ever experience.

I'm guessing that's code for no. Dang

I watched both games of the Webcast at my brother-in-laws this past weekend and I thought Omaha's webcast was better on Sunday night. It was also better than Miami's webcast. Both had really bad Radio guys, makes you appreciate TH, if you don’t already. I do already. I have not seen the UND webcast yet, I have heard some good and bad. We should've wrote down some of the stupid things that their broad cast crew said.

The quality of these broadcasts this past week were okay, nothing special, nothing to write home about. I also think that college hockey need to go with the college hockey TV package like the NHL does. There’s money to be made, I have seen worse web based broadcasts; MTU's comes to mind…. The UNO radio guys are brutal, we were laughing at some of the things that they said.

We thought Wally Shaver, the Rug and others were bad. These guys took the cake.

I have purchased a monthly subscription to UND insider to view some of the webcast games to see how the quality is. Mostly I use it when I am out of town and not in the midco footprint. I found the webcast to be fine and have not experienced some of the issues reported on here. One thing I would suggest if you are using a computer to view the games and not a mobile device I would suggest using a hard wired network connection and not use wireless whenever possible. I think this would eliminate a lot of the problems some have had. For those of you that have used hard wired connections and still have issues I would try rebooting your cable modem prior to launching the webcast. Also I am still sure there are some backend issues that they are trying to workout from the server side but overall I have been pleased.

I have purchased a monthly subscription to UND insider to view some of the webcast games to see how the quality is. Mostly I use it when I am out of town and not in the midco footprint. I found the webcast to be fine and have not experienced some of the issues reported on here. One thing I would suggest if you are using a computer to view the games and not a mobile device I would suggest using a hard wired network connection and not use wireless whenever possible. I think this would eliminate a lot of the problems some have had. For those of you that have used hard wired connections and still have issues I would try rebooting your cable modem prior to launching the webcast. Also I am still sure there are some backend issues that they are trying to workout from the server side but overall I have been pleased.

Well that might explain things, I watch it on Wireless.

Just bumping this up, does anyone know if the live webcast for the hockey game is available through the android app yet? I couldn't find an answer searching the forum.

It's supposed to, but you have to be a undinsider subscriber plus upgrade from the standard android app to the premium app. That works for the iphone app. The UND website just says the premium apps add on demand and "much more". The live streams are part of the "much more" on the iphone app. The road games that are free for undinsiders (if the opponent uses neulion for it's webcasts) did not come up on the iphone app, but home games have.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for html5 and the actual ipad app, which hopefully will allow a full screen stream. UND has said that neulion has began changing some content to html5, but are not sure of the timetable for live streams being changed. When that is finally done, UND will have to publish an ipad app.