SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

We need to hire Caruso before NDSU gets a chance at him.

Caruso have any connections that would allow him to hire an experienced DI staff? I personally don't think so.

Pflugrad, and even Bollinger, would though.

In my opinion:

1a) Pflugrad

2a) Bollinger

Still holding out that Faison comes through with a slam-dunk, surprise hire from an FBS team.

No. He should be a finalist if he applies. I believe he is already a great coach, based on his success as hs head coach and FBS asst. When he was with the Cowboys he was highly respected. Myles Austin thought a lot of him. They liked his intangibles and recognized his leadership skills. He didn't succeed at Wisconsin cuz of his great arm but because of his smarts and leadership skills as well as being a great athlete. He was an excellent student and well liked and respected by his coaches and teammates. Anyone who claims he is too young just doesn't understand. He understands the culture at UND and in GF, N.Dak. and Mn, Wisconsin. He is a leader and a winner. Very personable and excellent recruiter. I was in Pittsburgh the week after Muss let go. Pitt fans like him and think he has made a difference. I would need to know who else applies before I say hire him but we would be fortunate to get him. Pflugrad should also get interview. Not sure who else has applied. I was told yesterday Bollinger would apply but that is third hand so not sure.

exactly. no matter the age, (most of the time) when someone grows up around a town and a team their whole life, that person would still do anything in the world (but still following the rules) for their team to win. I think Brooks has that and that is what this team and town needs IMO.

Anyone who claims Bollinger is too young just doesn't understand? That rubs me the wrong way. I'm not looking exclusively at age, but coaching experience. There's obviously an emotional connection to Bollinger with those who so desperately support him. He has three years of total coaching experience, with only two of those being collegiate experience. Pitt has gone 12-13 in the two seasons Bollinger has been there; I guess that's really successful to some.

• Upvote 1

He has done some good work with the QB's at Pittsburgh for sure, but I still say that we have no business hiring someone who doesn't even have any experience at play calling at the college level. I don't care that he is from Grand Forks one bit.....that shouldn't even matter with the new coach. I want someone with a proven history of developing young talent,have experience play calling at the division I level, and most importantly have the ability to attract talented assistants. There is no way that BB with his level experience, would be able to fill a full staff with the type of talented needed to compete. Mussman couldn't do that and that IMHO is why he failed, we can't afford to keep going down that road.

We need to get off this idea that we can only get a coach with an attachment to the school or city, it simply isn't necessary.

He has done some good work with the QB's at Pittsburgh for sure, but I still say that we have no business hiring someone who doesn't even have any experience at play calling at the college level. I don't care that he is from Grand Forks one bit.....that shouldn't even matter with the new coach. I want someone with a proven history of developing young talent,have experience play calling at the division I level, and most importantly have the ability to attract talented assistants. There is no way that BB with his level experience, would be able to fill a full staff with the type of talented needed to compete. Mussman couldn't do that and that IMHO is why he failed, we can't afford to keep going down that road.

We need to get off this idea that we can only get a coach with an attachment to the school or city, it simply isn't necessary.

Head coach doesn't call plays

Frankly if that's the way it rubs you then wear a coat. I'm not related to Bollinger and if you read my posts I have simply made a case for why he is a viable candidate and if chosen why I think he would do a good job. Don't know if he will apply. I am loyal to UND athletics and want the best coach available. I didn't say his lack of experience isn't a factor I said his age isn't. He will soon be 34 or 35. He was a teammate of my son-in-law's with Cowboys and I haven't spoken with him since. Doubt he could pick me out of a crowd. I'm not emotionally attached. Just don't figure we should miss a chance to interview him cuz he may have stolen someone's prom date 15 or 20 yrs ago. He has an impressive résumé and I find him an intriguing and viable candidate based on what he can bring to the table. Not sure he is best candidate but I haven't seen the list and I'm not on search committee. He has impressed an awful lot of fb people at FBS and nfl levels and they aren't emotionally attached either.

You bring up what I think is most valid concern. Whether or not he could put together a strong staff in short time. Having connections isn't necessary. Just a factor and not the most important.

No kidding, but he hasn't even been a coordinator.....

His ability to call plays wouldn't be a concern. He's been doing that since hs and at higher levels than fcs. He would need to decide if he calls plays or if his oc calls plays but that wouldn't be my concern. He could have an immediate impact on recruiting but more importantly can he put together a staff and could they recruit?

His ability to call plays wouldn't be a concern. He's been doing that since hs and at higher levels than fcs. He would need to decide if he calls plays or if his oc calls plays but that wouldn't be my concern. He could have an immediate impact on recruiting but more importantly can he put together a staff and could they recruit?

I think he would have a huge impact on recruiting because of the level at which played, that would translate very well to high school players. My only concern is the bolded part.....Mussman had sub-par assistants his last few years hear and it showed all over the field. A college coach is only as good as the assistants he can attract....

UND is going to need to fund this program and that includes paying the assistants. That was an issue Mussman tried to fix and it was an issue for Lennon, Thomas and Murphy. I believe they all tried to improve salaries for assistants. High School coaches who also teach are making $40-60,000 if they teach and coach for 10 yrs or more and much more at MSP or other big city or big program schools. I'm not sure most of our assistants are getting $50,000 but I may be wrong.

SiouxFootballInsider @SiouxFootball

Now apparent that NDSU will be in the market for a completely new head coach, no assts taking over. Changes UND's prospects and timeframe.

With this tweet, I have to believe that Klieman was on the very short list as a candidate prior to moving up to the FBS level with Bohl, quite disappointing as he was my # 1 favorite to coach here.

UND is going to need to fund this program and that includes paying the assistants. That was an issue Mussman tried to fix and it was an issue for Lennon, Thomas and Murphy. I believe they all tried to improve salaries for assistants. High School coaches who also teach are making $40-60,000 if they teach and coach for 10 yrs or more and much more at MSP or other big city or big program schools. I'm not sure most of our assistants are getting $50,000 but I may be wrong.

I have to think with the minimum salary listed on the job posting that it will no longer be a problem......at least that is what I am hoping.

Frankly if that's the way it rubs you then wear a coat. I'm not related to Bollinger and if you read my posts I have simply made a case for why he is a viable candidate and if chosen why I think he would do a good job. Don't know if he will apply. I am loyal to UND athletics and want the best coach available. I didn't say his lack of experience isn't a factor I said his age isn't. He will soon be 34 or 35. He was a teammate of my son-in-law's with Cowboys and I haven't spoken with him since. Doubt he could pick me out of a crowd. I'm not emotionally attached. Just don't figure we should miss a chance to interview him cuz he may have stolen someone's prom date 15 or 20 yrs ago. He has an impressive résumé and I find him an intriguing and viable candidate based on what he can bring to the table. Not sure he is best candidate but I haven't seen the list and I'm not on search committee. He has impressed an awful lot of fb people at FBS and nfl levels and they aren't emotionally attached either.

All I am asking is that in choosing the next coach, we look at only the most obvious qualifications as objectively as possible.

Ability to recruit

Ability to assemble experienced staff

DI FBS coaching experience

NFL experience

When voiding out name-recognition, Bollinger doesn't match up with most candidates. He hasn't had to recruit for very long at the collegiate level. Both Robin Pflugrad and Glenn Caruso have. Bollinger has never had to assemble a staff. Both Pflugrad and Caruso have. Bollinger has 2 years of DI FBS coaching experience, Caruso has none, and Pflugrad has 14 years of FBS experience (Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon). Bollinger has NFL playing experience, but no coaching experience. Caruso and Pflugrad also have no NFL coaching experience. When adding all that up, what do you get.

1) Pflugrad

2) Caruso

?)Bollinger

It's basic application review in correlation with the job requirements and preferences.

Need to pay head coach $200k and oc and dc 90-100k. Other asst. need to be 65-75,000. Don't see getting pflugard or other top candidates for $150,000. Can do something for less than $200k with upside incentives but need incentives that are reachable.

All I am asking is that in choosing the next coach, we look at only the most obvious qualifications as objectively as possible.

Ability to recruit

NFL experience

When voiding out name-recognition, Bollinger doesn't match up with most candidates. He hasn't had to recruit for very long at the collegiate level. Both Robin Pflugrad and Glenn Caruso have. Bollinger has never had to assemble a staff. Both Pflugrad and Caruso have. Bollinger has 2 years of DI FBS coaching experience, Caruso has none, and Pflugrad has 14 years of FBS experience (Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon). Bollinger has NFL playing experience, but no coaching experience. Caruso and Pflugrad also have no NFL coaching experience. When adding all that up, what do you get.

1) Pflugrad

2) Caruso

?)Bollinger

It's basic application review in correlation with the job requirements and preferences.

I agree that Pflugrad and Caruso are worth a look but not automatics either. Pflugrad bring some serious baggage with him and Caruso would be stepping up from DIII.

Ability to recruit

NFL experience

1) Pflugrad

2) Caruso

?)Bollinger

Those are guidelines and your preference list is valid. I put a premium on character and leadership. I don't think you need nfl experience but being a qb in the nfl says something for the guy that is a big factor because of the responsibility and requirements to read defenses, call plays and lead. Pflugrad may be best candidate. I'd like sit in on an interview for both of these guys. I also think Caruso can coach at this level.

I'm not saying Bollinger wouldn't be a good HC candidate one day, but if he's near the top of the list as a prospective UND HC for next year, we're in big trouble.

No matter who Faison picks, there are going to be big question marks. This is an incredibly inexact science. When even Florida and USC can badly miss on a coaching hire, you can imagine how tough it is at this level.

Randy Hedberg, Lennon's qb coach at SIU, was an NFL quarterback too. His records at Minot and St Cloud were not great. Just being an NFL qb does not guarantee success as a head coach. Even Bart Starr, who was a legendary qb with 5 NFL championships to his credit, was a less than successful coach. Don't mean to say that qb's can't be good coaches, just that being a quarterback doesn't guarantee success.

Still very curious about who will be applying in the next 43 or so hours, but have to think the Pflugrad is the strongest of those whose names we know.