SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Another point for all the Fire Hak posters...Can you imagine how long Faison would take with an outside the staff hire for Sioux Hockey!!! After seeing this gong show for the Football coach, I hope we don't have to do this process in Hockey anytime soon - Maybe Dave Hakstol can coach until his early 70's!

Might not need to worry about Faison making another hire after this one in football... :)

Why do you say that we (people on this board) would be more efficient than Faison and his committee? Just because they have not hired a coach does not mean they aren't being efficient! So they haven't hired a coach right now, not a big deal because is a HUGE hire and Faison wants to get it right. Even when the new coach is introduced, not everyone will be happy. When we start winning again we will all look back on this and say we were stupid and we won't apologize to Faison for our rude comments.

Pretty much does mean that to me, you nailed it on the head.

For a contrasting perspective, here is an interesting behind-the-scenes account of Boise State hiring its new football coach.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/12/14/2926673/coyles-preparation-pays-off-in.html

The day he was introduced as Boise State’s new athletic director.

For more than two years, Coyle added to — and adjusted — the list, preparing for a day that no one in Bronco Nation, including President Bob Kustra, wanted to think about.

Faced with finally losing Petersen last week, Coyle pulled an Excel spreadsheet out of a secret drawer at his home. He began looking at the 20 names. By noon on Dec. 6, the same day Petersen was named head coach at Washington, Coyle had culled the list to six people.

“Then by Saturday (Dec. 7), he was in full mode of contacting people and making calls,” Kustra said

He conducted a round of whirlwind interviews and made the hire Tuesday, Dec. 10.

For a contrasting perspective, here is an interesting behind-the-scenes account of Boise State hiring its new football coach.

http://www.idahostat...ays-off-in.html

He conducted a round of whirlwind interviews and made the hire Tuesday, Dec. 10.

That guy understands and gets it.

That is a leader.

http://www.idahostat...ays-off-in.html

Read more here: http://www.idahostat...l#storylink=cpy

You mean he didn't take 30+ days to "get it right"? Boy, he is in trouble for making such a hasty decision. Where is his search committee?

I'm good with those 3 as a short list...problem is one didn't make the cut (unexplainable as to why) and one didn't apply.

Well said.

The problem I have with this process, besides the length, is that Faison recognized head coach salaries and asst. salaries needed to be improved and found the money. I applaud him for that. However, he now seems to have no drive to put that money to work and go recruit a guy off that list. Its frustrating this has been so quiet.

Camp doesn't start until late July/early August... I don't see the rush in hiring, don't want to give the new guy anything worry about over the 4 of July weekend, right? :)

Seriously, though, he really should know who he wants by now. Either the new guy, or girl (look at how progressive and PC I am), can't be hired right now, is still being convinced to apply, or something of that sort, then, sure, waiting is all right. If he's choosing out of the available pile then he could legitimately have this done by today if he really wants to. That's what is frustrating. You can scream process all you want, but it's been proven this can move faster. I'm hoping that he has a guy and the former possibility I laid out is what's happening, but some's thoughts have made this seem not all that likely.

Any AD, including Faison, Taylor, or the guy at Boise needs to have a short list of people whom they would consider as replacements for your key people. Faison should know today who he has in mind if Hakstol would ever leave. Over time he should be listening, watching and paying attention for potential hires for MBB, WBB, VB and even track, swimming, soccer etc. For the same reason UND needs to be positioning in the event other Big Sky schools or our pals from the AC and S.Dak decide to move up a notch. I don't think that is move to make cuz we would at best be like the Fresno States or N. Illinios of the world. We still need to be prepared. That being said, Faison had to know in October this was going to happen and if so, should have been prepared to move quickly once we got through the state hiring fiasco. He shouldn't need to rush through his decision cuz he should have started this whole process in his mind months ago. Once he made the decision he should have had feelers out. We are where we are, let's get on with this. I doubt anyone other than Faison and maybe a couple of people close to him know where he is going with this.

Faison should know today who he has in mind if Hakstol would ever leave.

In that scenario:

Brad Berry; Steve Johnson; Cary Eades. Fastest turn (internal hire) would be Berry.

The problem here is that UND Football was on a slow steady bleed of coaching talent since 2007.

Any AD, including Faison, Taylor, or the guy at Boise needs to have a short list of people whom they would consider as replacements for your key people. Faison should know today who he has in mind if Hakstol would ever leave. Over time he should be listening, watching and paying attention for potential hires for MBB, WBB, VB and even track, swimming, soccer etc. For the same reason UND needs to be positioning in the event other Big Sky schools or our pals from the AC and S.Dak decide to move up a notch. I don't think that is move to make cuz we would at best be like the Fresno States or N. Illinios of the world. We still need to be prepared. That being said, Faison had to know in October this was going to happen and if so, should have been prepared to move quickly once we got through the state hiring fiasco. He shouldn't need to rush through his decision cuz he should have started this whole process in his mind months ago. Once he made the decision he should have had feelers out. We are where we are, let's get on with this. I doubt anyone other than Faison and maybe a couple of people close to him know where he is going with this.

Correct. Faison should have had a very good idea on 9/28/13 that we were going to be hiring a new coach and should have had an existing list together which he should have been able to add to over the last 3 months.

On another note, while it was very early in his coaching career when they had him as a coach and he has obviously been successful at St. Thomas, I have a couple friends that had Caruso as a coach at NDSU and respect for and liking him are not words they use to describe him. They would both cringe when the media down here threw his name into the mix as an NDSU head coaching candidate.

For the same reason UND needs to be positioning in the event other Big Sky schools or our pals from the AC and S.Dak decide to move up a notch. I don't think that is move to make cuz we would at best be like the Fresno States or N. Illinios of the world. We still need to be prepared.

Yup. But it needed repeating.

How is Dale Lennon feeling right now knowing both of his coordinators are shopping themselves?

I think the handwriting is on the wall for Dale in Carbondale: Win in 2014 or be moved along.

I know it is a reach but that is a reason that I would think Dale might be interested in coming back to UND. He is in an iffy situation there, he has recruiting ties here and it would start the clock again on his success or failure being determined.

Correct. Faison should have had a very good idea on 9/28/13 that we were going to be hiring a new coach and should have had an existing list together which he should have been able to add to over the last 3 months.

On another note, while it was very early in his coaching career when they had him as a coach and he has obviously been successful at St. Thomas, I have a couple friends that had Caruso as a coach at NDSU and respect for and liking him are not words they use to describe him. They would both cringe when the media down here threw his name into the mix as an NDSU head coaching candidate.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

I've done quite a lot of hiring in my career and I've never had a top list of 9 after the vetting process! At most you would look at maybe 4, but you should have this done to 3 people at most. To start at 9 with full interviews and background checks you could be doing this for another 4 weeks for Christ-sakes. Regardless of the process, I'm beginning to think we really didn't have a short list ready when we fired Muss or at least it was a short-list on unattainable candidates.

The only reason I see for a top 9 is that the next UND coach came in 9th in the "point standings." Sure would be nice to have Faison make some kind of statement this week...

Former Griz running back Beau Donaldson sentenced to 10 years for rape.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/former-griz-beau-donaldson-sentenced-to-prison-for-rape/article_1c1b49fa-5c2b-11e2-998c-001a4bcf887a.html

4 Montana football players accused of a gang rape potentially having drugged the woman; Pflugrad knows and doesn't tell his supervisors.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-dean-implicated-football-players-in-gang-rape-emails-reveal/article_166bb96a-a16c-11e1-8d36-001a4bcf887a.html

"But in January, UM President Royce Engstrom wrote in a draft of planned public remarks that then-Grizzlies football coach

Robin Pflugrad had disciplined some football players accused of raping a woman, but did not report the incident to his supervisors."

Quarterback Jordan Johnson acquitted of rape.

So during Plugrad's tenure at Montana one football player was convicted of rape; one was acquitted and four were accused but not charged.

However, when you take into consideration that the DOJ investigation found that the U of Montana police dealt with investigations of sexual assault so poorly that they rose to the level of a civil rights violation the fact that one player was acquitted and four weren't charged is pretty meaningless. The handling of the allegations were not conducted in a manner in which convictions could reasonably happen.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/missoulafind_5-9-13.pdf

But you know, Pflugrad is exactly who we should be bringing in as a coach at UND. An AD would have to be crazy to take that chance.

• Upvote 1

There have been a lot of the situations dealing with the law that have came up locally and nationally in the last couple years. We had the situation with Hardee and underage drinking with athletes. A person could write a book about all the things in Fargo. Unfortunately for Pflugrad it is not good timing for him whether he is guilty or innocent of anything. Faison does not have choice. UND fans are just going to accept the fact that the timing is not right for Pflugard. .