SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

There was a small window for Faison to have his s*** together, have "his" guy in place and steal some much needed spotlight for this program with Bohl leaving but with SU winning yesterday and Klieman being named HC today any announcement at anytime now by Faison won't create much of a buzz IMO. I see it as a totally wasted opportunity.

One of the reasons I'm ok with it taking longer for Faison to announce is that he isn't trying to fit it into a small window. UND announces their coach last Thursday? NDSU's announcement today already overshadows it and the new UND coach is suddenly old news. This way, UND doesn't have to compete with NDSU for new coach media attention... and doesn't have to compete with NDSU for a new coach.

One of the reasons I'm ok with it taking longer for Faison to announce is that he isn't trying to fit it into a small window. UND announces their coach last Thursday? NDSU's announcement today already overshadows it and the new UND coach is suddenly old news. This way, UND doesn't have to compete with NDSU for new coach media attention... and doesn't have to compete with NDSU for a new coach.

That's another way to look at it...and another way is SU makes it to the NC and wins it...Faison has to announce somewhere close to that time frame I would think. Just saying that's a real possibility.

That's another way to look at it...and another way is SU makes it to the NC and wins it...Faison has to announce somewhere close to that time frame I would think. Just saying that's a real possibility.

So UND hires this week or next to avoid that scenario only to have the announcement overshadowed by NDSU winning its third FCS championship. Seems plausible...

So UND hires this week or next to avoid that scenario only to have the announcement overshadowed by NDSU winning its third FCS championship. Seems plausible...

At this point we can't worry about FU. We need to get a hire to get a staff put together. Allow them to start recruiting and give the returning players a face so we don't lose anymore.

None of this has anything to do with the AC. We r a non entity to them right now and except for recruiting, they r a non entity to us. The biggest reason to get a coach and new staff on board is to recruit the kids we have to stay here. HS recruits can still be recruited. It will be tougher but bfd. Lots of things in life are tougher.

We'd have done this deal already. "Wisdom of Crowds" is a book Faison should read copyright Cratter. Faison should've crowdsourced this hire! I'm kidding!

Isn't a committee a small crowd and thus using the same principles?

People mocked me for saying this too.

The general rule is you are usually good at coaching OR good at playing.

Being a good football player has zero correlation to being a good coach.

But again I was right.

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/choke/201008/the-best-players-rarely-make-the-best-coaches

Faisons should probably just call me and I can help him hire the best candidate.

Isn't a committee a small crowd and thus using the same principles?

People mocked me for saying this too.

But again I was right.

http://m.psychologyt...he-best-coaches

Faisons should probably just call me and I can help him hire the best candidate.

I don't think my post was very clear...I can say I wasn't mocking you. The participants on this forum would have been a more efficient search committee than what is in place now...seriously...

I don't think my post was very clear...I can say I wasn't mocking you. The participants on this forum would have been a more efficient search committee than what is in place now...seriously...

Why do you say that we (people on this board) would be more efficient than Faison and his committee? Just because they have not hired a coach does not mean they aren't being efficient! So they haven't hired a coach right now, not a big deal because is a HUGE hire and Faison wants to get it right. Even when the new coach is introduced, not everyone will be happy. When we start winning again we will all look back on this and say we were stupid and we won't apologize to Faison for our rude comments.

We soon won't have to worry about recruits; as there won't be any. Faison has wasted the opportunity to bring in a new coach early enough to allow the new guy a chance to make contact with recruits before year end. FCS is allowed to contact recruits thru the 23rd of December.

Sitting around with family over the holidays is when a lot of college decisions will be discussed.

Our rudderless ship of a program will not be considered until a coaching staff explaining its philosophy can demonstrate to a kid his skills will be utilized in our system.

Any current players that are questioning their futures need answers as well.

I said it a few days ago and I see many others share my opinion that upon hearing the app was designed for Tibesar, I lost a lot of faith in this process. Completely unrealistic idea given the opportunities Tibesar has at the NFL level.

• Upvote 1

We soon won't have to worry about recruits; as there won't be any. Faison has wasted the opportunity to bring in a new coach early enough to allow the new guy a chance to make contact with recruits before year end. FCS is allowed to contact recruits thru the 23rd of December.

Sitting around with family over the holidays is when a lot of college decisions will be discussed.

Our rudderless ship of a program will not be considered until a coaching staff explaining its philosophy can demonstrate to a kid his skills will be utilized in our system.

Any current players that are questioning their futures need answers as well.

I said it a few days ago and I see many others share my opinion that upon hearing the app was designed for Tibesar, I lost a lot of faith in this process. Completely unrealistic idea given the opportunities Tibesar has at the NFL level.

The app was never designed for Tibesar. Only people on this board thought he was a legitimate candidate. I don't think Faison even knows Tibesar.

• Upvote 2

Why do you say that we (people on this board) would be more efficient than Faison and his committee? Just because they have not hired a coach does not mean they aren't being efficient! So they haven't hired a coach right now, not a big deal because is a HUGE hire and Faison wants to get it right. Even when the new coach is introduced, not everyone will be happy. When we start winning again we will all look back on this and say we were stupid and we won't apologize to Faison for our rude comments.

Screen the candidates daily, conduct the phone interviews daily, abide by the process, and get this thing done...and have a short list made out at all times...it's called contingency planning....this could have been done last Friday.

The app was never designed for Tibesar. Only people on this board thought he was a legitimate candidate. I don't think Faison even knows Tibesar.

Then who in Sam Hell puts CFL in the job description?

Edit: Maybe it's a Roger Thomas play from one of the old HR cronies. If it's Schwiegert or a no-name from the applicant list...he doesn't have a network.

Edit

Then who in Sam Hell puts CFL in the job description?

Edit: Maybe it's a Roger Thomas play from one of the old HR cronies.

Don't know. I would guess it is some way to give extra points with this goofy point system they use. I believe you are correct in that we should have had some idea who we wanted and how to make sure they would get past initial screening. They should have said professional fb coaching experience. Would have covered both NFL and CFL. I would hope once we pass the initial time requirements Faison can move things along at a reasonable pace. Some kids are done with finals already. Our new coach should get a chance to meet with players before they leave for break or worse leave for another school.

Don't know. I would guess it is some way to give extra points with this goofy point system they use. I believe you are correct in that we should have had some idea who we wanted and how to make sure they would get past initial screening. They should have said professional fb coaching experience. Would have covered both NFL and CFL. I would hope once we pass the initial time requirements Faison can move things along at a reasonable pace. Some kids are done with finals already. Our new coach should get a chance to meet with players before they leave for break or worse leave for another school .

Maybe he's got a blockbuster announcement coming...I was hoping for someone 12/12 or 12/20 at the latest. This needs to have wow factor...I don't see it in the current candidate pool outside of Pflugrad. If it was my son coming home from UND without a HC I'd be quite concerned. They're gonna go home not knowing...terrible timing.

I've done quite a lot of hiring in my career and I've never had a top list of 9 after the vetting process! At most you would look at maybe 4, but you should have this done to 3 people at most. To start at 9 with full interviews and background checks you could be doing this for another 4 weeks for Christ-sakes. Regardless of the process, I'm beginning to think we really didn't have a short list ready when we fired Muss or at least it was a short-list on unattainable candidates.

• Upvote 2

Screen the candidates daily, conduct the phone interviews daily, abide by the process, and get this thing done...and have a short list made out at all times...it's called contingency planning....this could have been done last Friday.

100% agree. The only thing that makes any sense for me now is that he must be looking to hire someone not on the original list. IMO, if he takes all of this time and hires someone on the original list he is an absolute joke of an AD. If he hires outside of the list, then there was a method for his madness.
  • Upvote 1