SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU at UND

homer

Agree...and if that was the #6 team in FCS?? QB...average. Defense...not as good as advertised. Zenner...best RB to hit Alerus possibly ever. He was flat out the difference by himself.

I expect the Griz to be every bit as good as SDSU if not better this Saturday.

Than of course you've got the Griz and how many points are you giving me?

Than of course you've got the Griz and how many points are you giving me?

My guess is on a neutral field the line would be Griz 10 point favorite at a minimum so with the game at UND I'll say the spread will be Griz -7 give or take a point.

No not a relative just stand up for the players when some guy or female forum poster decides to smack talk. I never started out posting on here with smack i simply asked a question.

Saying someone who played average at best is average isn't smack talk. And average with the running game they had going is kind of a disappointment especially after how much you talked him up before the game. Not sure why you think compliments to Zenner seem to be a slam on Sumner, but I sure would have rather had SDSU put the game on Sumner's arm than Zenner's legs.

100% agreed. I am confident in saying that Montana will be much more impressive than SDSU was. May not be good for UND but it will show on Saturday. Nice to have them back to back so we can compare.

One of my best friends lives just outside Missoula and is a big Griz fan. He said this squad is nothing like last year's team. Much better in all 3 phases. Probably a "homer's" take but he did play college FB so I respect his opinion.

After getting the chance to finally rewatch the game I noticed a few more things about the SDSU game.

Bartels had a nice start to the game. But even though he was making good reads and the right throws, the ball was taking too long to get from his hand to the WR. There isn't enough zip on his passes. They give the DB more time to break on the ball which makes it more likely that they will either intercept the pass or make it harder on our WR on the catch. Also after his int he was rattled and tried to press to make up for it. His attempted jump pass was terrible and stupid. Then his poor ball security and decision to fight for yards against three Jackrabbits lead to the fumble. He then missed Hardin on an easy TD opportunity by throwing outside when Hardin was heading inside. On the next play he throws behind Golladay over the middle which should have been an easy throw for and easy first down.

After the fumble I noticed Golladay tracked the guy down and tommahawked the ball out of his hands and Jake Miller fell on the ball but didn't hang on...... that would have been a huge play and would have at least made the Jacks drive more than 10 yards to score. Great effort by Kenny.

Goard comes in the game and on his first play nearly tears Zenners head off with a brutal facemask. The next play he made a tackle for a short game. Shortly after he hurt Zenner on a blitz. Zenner crumpled to the floor and Goard almost sacks Sumner who escapes for a short gain forcing a third down. Huge play in the game. The next play Goard shoots up the middle and blows up a screen attempt. In one series he set the tone for the defense. We need more of this guy against Montana.

Mollberg comes in and they have a closeup of him and he's looking not only calm but like he knows he's about to go off. The look in his eye has to have rubbed off on his teammates. It's the type of leadership a QB needs and he's only a FR. His first couple throws were a little off but on his second play he basically had to throw it away/put it where Kenny would have had to enter Calvin Johnson mode to bring it down. The protection in his first series was awful. He hung in there, took some shots and it took a great play by SDSU to tip a great pass to Townsend that would have been a TD. His next throw went 60 yards in the air (75 total) as he was being pulled down. This dude is a manchild. The throws that Joe missed weren't to wide open players. He would put it in a tough spot to catch but only where his guy could get it alot of the time. He was also the victim of a couple drops but not as many as Bartels. Another thing I noticed about Joe was his poise. He didn't force a throw into coverage on 3rd and 19 in the 4th quarter. He could have but he went with the open man and let the defense get them the ball back. He lived to play another down. The Ben Roethlisberger like throw Mollberg made was awesome. Not a great habit, much like his bomb to Hardin, but when you need a play you need a play and he made it.

Darryl Brown was awesome. He gave up one big play and went too low on Zenner on the screen pass from hell. Other than that he was spectacular. Smallest guy on the field plays like a full grown man. The defense is innumerably better with him healthy.

Down the stretch Mike 'Big Snacks' Edwards was dominant. They couldn't move him. He blew through and between doubles a few time a wrecked plays in the 4th quarter. On the big 3rd and 2 stop Edwards pushed the interior back on his own which allowed the LBs to tackle Zenner just short.

Ben Peters had a rough game. He looked slow and was not in his gap on that long TD run on 4th and inches. He needs to be better. He was the first to miss Zenner on the screen from hell and could have held that play to minimal gain if he would have just made the play. Maybe Goard is the answer to this problem.

Spencer Cummings also had a rough game. He made one play where he beat the tackle and the chip from the RB and forced Sumner to scramble and get sacked by Goodman. Other than that he was just playing patty cake with the left tackle. Their LT may be an All American but Spencer played like dogshit. He's 6'4 280 lbs. He should be able to move someone. He needs to find an edge or step aside and let someone who wants it more to play.

Going from Miller to the Jackson wild cat I noticed that SDSU was not ready for his power. Play Shaugabay damn it.

Dom Bennette also had one hell of a game. He was in a bad mood all night and took it out on everyone. He needs to play like that every night.

Kuksa was out there a little bit and had some tackles. One that was particularly nice was on our second to last kickoff. He got off of two blocks and launched himself into the legs of the return man and wrapped up. He got up with the same type of fire in his eye as Darryl Brown. This kid will be a very good player.

Anyone who questions our coaching should take a look at the quick snap QB sneak we did for an easy first down in the 4th quarter. The players knew to do it and it got off without a chance for SDSU to even make a call. Great coaching.

The infamous 'hit out of bounds' play..... First off with a 3 man rush we forced Sumner to scramble. That is awesome work by the DLine. Edwards was singled up on the center and pushed him back into Sumner which blew up the play. I love the line. At DE Welch looped behind Edwards and the guard and tackle stepped slightly making it easy for Edwards to manhandle his man and blow up the play. Everyone else was in great coverage. Chris Hall stepped up as Sumner booted out and forced him to tuck it and run for his life. Derrick Goard came in hot pursuit. He was truckin. By the time Goard got there Sumner had yet to step out but had turned to do so. He dives into him and they both go out of bounds. Goodman also comes in as the sideline contain and trips on Goard and they all fall to the ground. My original opinion was that it was dumb on Goard and Goodmans parts. Upon review it was a the right call and not quite the stupid play I had thought. The only thing that could be changed is Goard shouldn't have left his feet. Easy to say from the couch. Great play by our defense all around. O and the clock expired.

The punt return..... what a blown opportunity.... I almost broke my TV on this one. Finely and Butler both block the guy who eventually saved the TD from behind. Butler makes a good block. But then he turns his back on his man and then turns and whiffs on him and then his man made the tackle....... If he stays on that block it's the kicker to beat, good night, TD Kenny Golladay. Coach Boyd was probably not very happy about that in the special teams meeting on sunday. That right there would have broken SDSU and they would have been begging for OT....

On the int Mollberg made his first huge mistake of the night. He had Jackson and Townsend both wide open for a first down on a 3 yard slants and instead forced it in to Kenny. He said on the radio that he miss read the coverage pre snap and made the mistake.

All in all alot of promise from this game and alot of headache. Clean some stuff up and we will be in the playoffs.

Reading that I'm questioning how it's possible UND lost that game. It reads like it was written by the UND marketing department.

I watched that twice as well and here's my analysis. SDSU is just better.

On the int Mollberg made his first huge mistake of the night. He had Jackson and Townsend both wide open for a first down on a 3 yard slants and instead forced it in to Kenny. He said on the radio that he miss read the coverage pre snap and made the mistake.

Here is reason 1A why Mollberg didn't start the first game of the year. There was absolutely no reason to not look backside to Jackson on the trail route. The corner and safety began the play 10 yards off the ball, then dropped fast with the receivers coming at them. Jackson came underneath it all wide open for what would have been an easy 10-15 yards and first down.

Here is reason 1A why Mollberg didn't start the first game of the year. There was absolutely no reason to not look backside to Jackson on the trail route. The corner and safety began the play 10 yards off the ball, then dropped fast with the receivers coming at them. Jackson came underneath it all wide open for what would have been an easy 10-15 yards and first down.

Bartels int was more heinous given the situation.

• Upvote 1

Bartels int was more heinous given the situation.

Definitely the first blatant freshman mistake out of either of those guys. Following that up with the fumble after a good defensive start to the half was really a disaster for him after a fairly good start. Hopefully he can shake it off and play better if he's called upon this weekend.

Definitely the first blatant freshman mistake out of either of those guys. Following that up with the fumble after a good defensive start to the half was really a disaster for him after a fairly good start. Hopefully he can shake it off and play better if he's called upon this weekend.

Yeah, as much as we talk about how different the game would've been if we would've gone up 14-0, just think if we would've drove down the field to start the 2nd half and made it 21-14. Instead, in both opportunities, Bartels threw an interception and fumbled the ball, respectively. He definitely made some timely errors. That's why it is so important Mollberg protects the ball this weekend. If we can have 0 turnovers (maybe 1), I feel confident we can defeat Montana. Now, we have multiple turnovers again, we lose another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Zenner goes for over 200 and averages just under 10 yards a carry.

All-World QB Sumner goes 19/29 for 238 and 2 picks.

SDSU needs to give Zenner the ball more.

He had 21 carries against Nebraska, 37 against UND. They probably would have liked to give it to him more against Nebraska, but needed to throw when they got behind. Total offensive yardage for SDSU against Nebraska was only about 20 yards less than against UND. They just couldn't score as many times.

He had 21 carries against Nebraska, 37 against UND. They probably would have liked to give it to him more against Nebraska, but needed to throw when they got behind. Total offensive yardage for SDSU against Nebraska was only about 20 yards less than against UND. They just couldn't score as many times.

I saw that. The Nebraska fans are longing for the days of the old Blackshirts. Will be interesting to see what Zenner does next week against NDSU next weekend, they've held him in check every time they've played him.

I saw that. The Nebraska fans are longing for the days of the old Blackshirts. Will be interesting to see what Zenner does next week against NDSU next weekend, they've held him in check every time they've played him.

They will have to run the ball next weekend to have any shot at all. Sumner can't turn it over either. FU capitalizes on those