SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

The group of six of us went to the Ground Round at four o’clock Saturday.  The wait was twenty minutes minimum. They had plenty of empty space but not enough staff.

ended up going to bww and got the last available table

Same. 

Rumors looked packed so ended up going to Pourhouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Citizens of grand forks shouldn’t have to fund this while they get tax breaks and if it goes south they are stuck

should be a bond placed so if it goes under the bond covers the cost of improvements

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Good

byt the question does pop in my Mind

if fugeng putting up with this much crap from gf why wouldn’t they just pick a diff location as they said all these cities want it

hmmm

If they go to another city, are you going to start a "Fire Bochenski" thread because he not a good recruiter? 

Every taxing entity when they raise their tax says well it only costs a home owner this much money

when you add up all the increases you can see how home owners can’t afford the tax increases 

if they weren't getting the tax breaks welcome to GF

did the aquarium people find another sucker town?

GF can’t even afford another i29 interchange but has money for this?

just asking for a tax paper as I don’t live there 

18 minutes ago, Kab said:

Every taxing entity when they raise their tax says well it only costs a home owner this much money

when you add up all the increases you can see how home owners can’t afford the tax increases 

if they weren't getting the tax breaks welcome to GF

did the aquarium people find another sucker town?

GF can’t even afford another i29 interchange but has money for this?

just asking for a tax paper as I don’t live there 

Only reason we can afford is because they are making northenders pay a lot 

one business I heard was over $1 million over 20 years period

That project would need to bring a better natural gas supply in from the west. That would attract more industry and jobs. The nat-gas supply would be the biggest boon to the city. 

But from what I hear the corn plant project is dying of its own making, not anything the locals may be doing. 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That project would need to bring a better natural gas supply in from the west. That would attract more industry and jobs. The nat-gas supply would be the biggest boon to the city. 

But from what I hear the corn plant project is dying of its own making, not anything the locals may be doing. 

I think the gas is coming unless the green people stop the pipeline

maybe we need magic pipelines to get the gas east 

‘how much $ has gf stuck into this project?  I thought they were doin infrastructure already 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The state has already allocated $150 million for the pipeline, with plans to give another $150 million in 2023, so it sounds like that part is happening.

4 hours ago, Kab said:

I see a petition to stop the China corn plant

is this plant good or bad for the taxpayers

4 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Good

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Absolutely not. This project is not good dor grand forks 

Which is it?

Is it cause people don't like China?

Tax breaks? That's pretty much a guarantee for any new building or business in any city.

Infrastructure costs? Things that the city already needs or will eventually need.

Or is it just anti Bochenski people who will cry anytime he does something?

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

The state has already allocated $150 million for the pipeline, with plans to give another $150 million in 2023, so it sounds like that part is happening.

Gonna take many more millions to build it. If the pipeline was so needed why wouldn’t a corporation propose the project and take on the risk? Any idea where the line is running and connecting to? Any private companies involved or is this just a pipe dream project?

Just now, Cratter said:

Tax breaks? That's pretty much a guarantee for any new building or business in any city.

Infrastructure costs? Things that the city already needs or will eventually need.

My question is the numbers. How much tax breaks will they get and how much will they be paying if any/ when? A corn plant doesn’t scream pollution so I don’t get the concern with industry coming to town.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, nodak651 said:

In other news, the Northern Plains Nitrogen plant, proposed in Grand Forks, will be connected to the Midwest Carbon Express pipeline, if built.  A pipeline would be built to connect the plant in GF to the Midwest Carbon Express pipeline near an ethonal plant in Casselton.

https://www.agweek.com/business/7345272-Multi-state-carbon-pipeline-adds-Grand-Forks-ND-ammonia-plant-to-plans#:~:text=Northern Plains Nitrogen is developing,has still been seeking investors.

Related article from the GFH: Summit Carbon Solutions on Monday afternoon, Jan. 10, sent a press release saying it has formed a new partnership with Northern Plains Nitrogen, a company that has been in talks with Grand Forks developers for the better part of the last decade.

In 2013, the announcement of NPN’s potential arrival suggested as many as 135 regular workers could be employed at the plant, which would require well over 1,000 construction workers to build.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/although-no-word-northern-plains-nitrogen-plant-is-imminent-in-grand-forks-press-release-sparks-discussion

A representative of Northern Plains Nitrogen says he believes construction on a proposed plant in Grand Forks could begin as early as this year, provided the necessary financing is secured first.

Larry Mackie, NPN's chief operating officer, told the Herald on Monday evening, Jan. 11, that as fundraising continues, the company has stayed on top of other planning and organizational aspects — including engineering — in the interim.

He said NPN is “absolutely” coming to Grand Forks and “this project will get funded.”

In its press release sent Monday, Summit Carbon Solutions noted that the company recently announced “significant milestones in development of its carbon storage facilities in North Dakota, having received state and local permits to collect 3D seismic data and begin drilling stratigraphic test wells, activities which are now underway.”

https://www.inforum.com/business/if-financing-arises-work-on-fertilizer-plant-in-grand-forks-could-start-as-early-as-2022-npn-officer-says

Is the Northern Plains Nitrogen project still economical with the higher natural gas prices? I have a feeling it’s less likely to be built because of that but a shortage of fertilizer by cutting off Russian supplies could help it. We need more domestic supply so that plant is desperately needed.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Or is it just anti Bochenski people who will cry anytime he does something?

Not anti Bochenski, glad he is in

would just like to see the numbers for each $100,000 house value for taxes 

GF needs infrastructure, Fargo seems to find ways but I see people not being able to afford houses they built too while certain golf course houses get moved on taxpayer money because THEY built in a flood zone

need to find a new way for tax breaks so companies are paying something each year, maybe this is happening 

https://www.ndenergy.org/Issues/Natural-Gas-Pipeline-to-the-East

so we are paying a company to develop the project, if it was such a big profit potential there would be no government incentives needed. It’s free money from the Federal government, but not really free because this money may be wasted and just added to the national debt……

48 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

https://www.ndenergy.org/Issues/Natural-Gas-Pipeline-to-the-East

so we are paying a company to develop the project, if it was such a big profit potential there would be no government incentives needed. It’s free money from the Federal government, but not really free because this money may be wasted and just added to the national debt……

I believe this was covid money and at the point use or lose it.  

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

My question is the numbers. How much tax breaks will they get and how much will they be paying if any/ when? 

Greater than $0.

The amount city would collect if they didn't come.

And thousands in taxes by the employees from day one..

• Upvote 2