SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2013

geaux_sioux

I have never played college football so I was just wondering do players get upset if they get redshirted or do they understand why they do get redshirted.

Most incoming freshmen expect to be redshirted. Depends on the kid if they think they can play right away.

I'm hearing Bartels steam as well.

I so wanted Mollberg to win the job, but if Bartels is named the starter for week 1, this competition is still far from over.

Joe will get better and injuries happen just like last year.

I also think it's way too early to talk about transferring. The Chris Belmore/Reed Manke situation is the perfect example of why not to. There is more than on-the-field football lessons to be taken from this situation in the longview. Ask Reed Manke.

I hope Mollberg is mentally strong enough to understand that he just needs to tighten up his belt and go work harder, rather than start thinking about transferring already. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. Times like these are when we will find out what Mollberg's made of.

Best of luck to both kids. Both are very talented and we will no doubt need both of them before all is said and done.

I would not pull the redshirt on a freshman receiver this year unless it is the only way to keep the kid here. We made that mistake pulling Golladay's redshirt last year. Miller's freshman year was wasted and he should have been redshirted. when we had no chance to make the playoffs that year. Carr may be good enough to play but we have 5 excellent receivers that collectively are probably the best we have ever had. They have earned playing time and we need to keep that year of eligibility for him.

Bartels will start and he has had an excellent fall camp. I understand he has been more consistent and reading defenses better. Mollberg has a better upside and can make plays with his arm and his feet. Neither Bartels nor Mollberg will stay four years to be a backup and I don't blame either of them. They both need the opportyunity to play this year in games when they are with the starters and the game is on the line.If one out plays the other, then it is settled. Mollberg was the better QB in the spring game and the better athlete. Time will tell.

I

As much as I like Mollberg, the bolded statement above is a pretty big part of it. Gotta get the mental side down before you can be a Big Sky QB.

This tweet from Tom Miller answers a lot: @tommillergf: UND FB notes from today: Bartels will start at QB vs. Valpo, McGill will redshirt and Kuksa-Iverson-Meindel won't redshirt

I don't mind if its Bartels or Mollberg as long as we win.

This tweet from Tom Miller answers a lot: @tommillergf: UND FB notes from today: Bartels will start at QB vs. Valpo, McGill will redshirt and Kuksa-Iverson-Meindel won't redshirt

1) Semi-surprised, but I'm sure both QBs will get a crack against Valpo

2) Good decision by the coaches on McGill. Get another year to get healthy, stronger, and have an awesome senior year

3) Wonder if those would be the only 3 getting lifted. Kuksa is a no brainer, he is a stud

totally shocked about the qb situation!!!

what level did bartels play in illinois? i guess that eye in the sky from behind in film session shows the qb's progressions and check downs and with joe playing "only" in detroit lakes maybe bartels was used to quicker pace of action....

I'd say Mollberg is in a pretty good position. Everyone knows he's going to get playing time, but he doesn't get the monstrous scrutiny of a freshman starter.

I'll say right now that someone will play themselves into the starting role for Game 2.

Worst case scenario for Mollberg is being a special read option package guys to keep defenses honest. I could see the coaches calling for all runs for a while with him to make teams think he can't pass then blowing the doors off with some deep balls.

Both guys will play plenty. Here's to hoping they both stay.

I have just one comment. If Bartels initially is the starting QB over Mollberg that tells me Bartels is real good. I agree that they will both be playing to start with and both had better be ready. Mollberg might be starting before long. This just shows you the strength we might have at the QB position. I can't wait for the season to start.

Its been a couple seasons since we have had only one QB take meaningful snaps during a season. I feel its a little premature to talk about transferring already.

All eyes have been focusing on the QB battle all last spring and this fall. One thing that has impressed me over that time is the maturity of both guys. Both were pretty passionate about running the offense and making themselves better, which made the other better. I'm confident in both going into the season.

UND FOOTBALL: Bartels gets starting quarterback gig

All along, the UND football coaching staff has said both Ryan Bartels and Joe Mollberg will see playing time at quarterback in the season opener Thursday night against Valparaiso in the Alerus Center. But someone has to be labeled the starter. On Friday, UND coach Chris Mussman said Bartels has received that designation. Aftera tight battle throughout fall camp, Mussman opted to go with the redshirt freshman from Sycamore, Ill.

“We chart every throw and it’s really close,” Mussman said. “We thought in the end that Ryan had a slight edge. We had to make a decision and that’s the decision we’ll go with.”

Bartels, a 6-foot-3 right-hander, won the competition out of fall camp due to his strong arm and sound decision-making.

UND expects at least three true freshmen to play in next week’s season opener.

Free safety Cam Kuksa, fullback Dustin Iverson and punter Mitch Meindel will see the field against Valpo, Mussman said.

“There are one or two more we’re contemplating,” Mussman said. “We’ll see.”

Although Mussman didn’t specify who else was up in the air, other true freshmen who have been receiving buzz to play right away are wide receiver Aeron Carr and defensive lineman Marcus Cheatom.

Lots of talk about our receiving corps and QB battle - which is exciting and makes me want the season to start soon. Also many comments about the defense being more assignment sharp. Any information about our line on both sides of the ball? In the games we got blown out last year, both lines were positively bullied. In order for us to take the next step, I think we need to start here. Anyone have any insight as to the progress of the O and D lines?

With as much talk as there has been about us having the #1 receiving core in the country, I just assumed that we did and didn't actually know. I don't really think that we can compare to what App State has. Don't get me wrong we have a very talented group of receivers but theirs is great. I guess I hope our guys can change my mind on this.

With as much talk as there has been about us having the #1 receiving core in the country, I just assumed that we did and didn't actually know. I don't really think that we can compare to what App State has. Don't get me wrong we have a very talented group of receivers but theirs is great. I guess I hope our guys can change my mind on this.

I think it's more of a "one of the best" type things. It's tough to compare across conferences. I would be willing to bet that by the time we are a couple games in to Big Sky play, it will be obvious the level of talent of UNDs receivers.

I think it's more of a "one of the best" type things. It's tough to compare across conferences. I would be willing to bet that by the time we are a couple games in to Big Sky play, it will be obvious the level of talent of UNDs receivers.

Good points. I can't wait until Thursday!

Golladay will be on the field for the first few games. Price? Not so much. Advantage us.

We return an All American and a freshman All American and neither of those two may be the most talented WR on the team. Like someone mentioned above its hard to compare across conferences but to me, our group has proven themselves on the field.

• Upvote 1

Lots of talk about the receiving corps, but I'm glad there has been an emphasis on running the football as well. Even with the belief that the defense will be completely different this year and much better you're not going to shut down the likes of EWU, MSU, Northern Arizona, etc. Moving the chains via the ground game and churning up some clock on scoring drives will be huge this season.

I'd like to see a stat for average time of possession the offense had last year. For this team to make the playoffs they have to possess the football for longer spurts than they did last season.