SiouxSports.com Forum

What conference will the other Dakotas be in 2015?

SiouxVolley

Where do the other Dakotas go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the other Dakotas go?

• Summit League will survive
    • Merge with the Horizon Leauge
    • The MVC will take pity on them and save the MVFC
    • Big Sky will take them in
    • The WAC will add them
    • Somewhere else. (make comments)
    • Independents except football

so, Herd, Bison06 or some of the other Bison posters on the siouxsports site...

If offered, would NDSU accept an offer to join the Big Sky?

Would NDSU be willing to move without SDSU, if for example,an offer went to Denver (giving BSC 14 football with Poly & Davis & 14 Olympic with Denver & Idaho to go with 12 all sports members)?

Again, if offered, would NDSU, SDSU and USD all leave for the Big Sky and abandon Omaha?

What would the pulse be for an NDSU move out of the Summit at this point?

so, Herd, Bison06 or some of the other Bison posters on the siouxsports site...

If offered, would NDSU accept an offer to join the Big Sky?

Would NDSU be willing to move without SDSU, if for example,an offer went to Denver (giving BSC 14 football with Poly & Davis & 14 Olympic with Denver & Idaho to go with 12 all sports members)?

Again, if offered, would NDSU, SDSU and USD all leave for the Big Sky and abandon Omaha?

What would the pulse be for an NDSU move out of the Summit at this point?

It'd just be people guessing. I don't think NDSU would take off to the Big Sky unless it was absolutely vital. MVFC is a wonderful home for football and I can't imagine NDSU wanting to leave that behind for the Big Sky.

I'm sure you could have an interesting chat with Gene Taylor about it though! His opinion is a lot more important!

It'd just be people guessing. I don't think NDSU would take off to the Big Sky unless it was absolutely vital. MVFC is a wonderful home for football and I can't imagine NDSU wanting to leave that behind for the Big Sky.

I'm sure you could have an interesting chat with Gene Taylor about it though! His opinion is a lot more important!

That's about as close to a "yes" as you're going to get from a Bison fan. :lol:

NDSU looks out ONLY for NDSU. They dropped us very quickly when announcing they were going DI, and we were their closest rival. So I can see them telling the Jacks, Yotes and Mavs so long if a conference was looking just at NDSU. Obviously you have to do what's best for yourself, so saying the SU's are connected at the hip isn't always the case.

NDSU looks out ONLY for NDSU. They dropped us very quickly when announcing they were going DI, and we were their closest rival. So I can see them telling the Jacks, Yotes and Mavs so long if a conference was looking just at NDSU. Obviously you have to do what's best for yourself, so saying the SU's are connected at the hip isn't always the case.

Again darell you're so full of bs it isn't funny. NDSU and SDSU waited another year for UND & USD to come on board for DI transition. UNC went the year before and wanted all the Dakota schools to come that year.

I for one really hope that NDSU along with the SD schools join us in the Sky! Lets face it neither of us is ever going to play in one of elite conferences, we dont have the facilities and more importantly we dont reside in the types of media markets these conferences are looking for. However, a conference with all the Dakota flagships along with both Montana schools makes for a very stable conference that is much more likely to generate the interest in the regions to demand high quality media coverage not only in the mid-west but also nationally. Throw in Idaho (when/if we jump to FBS) Denver, and Omaha to increase media markets. This would be a very good thing for all parties involved, a conference made up mostly of flagship institutions with loyal fan bases.

I'm on record as preferring the Summit/MVFC over the Big Sky, but UND would have been downright foolish to pass on the Big Sky. You simply cannot turn down an invitation from the Big Sky for the mere possibility that the MVFC might eventually get around to inviting you. Football is just too important to gamble like that.

All the talk on preferences, while fun conversation, is really beside the point. The Big Sky invited UND while the MVFC did not. That's all that really matters.

This is it when all is said and done: "The Big Sky invited UND while the MVFC did not."

Again darell you're so full of bs it isn't funny. NDSU and SDSU waited another year for UND & USD to come on board for DI transition. UNC went the year before and wanted all the Dakota schools to come that year.

And why did NDSU move? Because they looked out for themselves. UND was not connected to their hip they had SDSU connected to theirs, or according to some its the other way around. But if NDSU sees opportunity to move up to the FBS level they won't wait if SDSU isn't ready. The Jacks are on their own.

NDSU and SDSU waited another year for UND & USD to come on board for DI transition. UNC went the year before and wanted all the Dakota schools to come that year.

FU spent a year trying to convince the entire NCC to move up en masse so that they wouldn't have to hunt for DI conference affiliation. Let's not pretend that they offered some sort of act of good will toward certain former members of the NCC as you imply, because it simply is not true.

On a side note, I find it a bit ironic that there is somewhat of a parallel running theme regarding the formation of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference and the metamorphosis of the Summit League.

The NCHC was "molded" around North Dakota and Denver along with the best of the leftovers of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. Two of the most prestigious former members of the WCHA moved along to the Big 10, which is a prominent, name-brand league with national notoriety. One of those two teams refuses to play North Dakota in hockey, but the other one will.

The Summit in recent years has been "molded" around Fargo U. and Brookings U. along with the best of the leftovers of the North Central Conference. Two of the most prestigious former members of the NCC moved along to the Big Sky, which is a prominent, name-brand league with national notoriety. One of those two teams refuses to play North Dakota in football, but the other one will.

It's almost amazing how similar the two situations are.

• Upvote 1

I'll bet the commissioner of the WAC calls Omaha's A.D., Trev Alberts, every other day of the week.

People talk about IUPUI and IPFW going here, Denver going there, the Dakota's going here.......................

I think UNO holds all the cards to the Summit's future. UNO's A.D. has balls. Enough balls to kill one of the 10 best DII football programs. That says alot to me. He went out on limb by deciding to drop football, move to DI and focus on two sports: Hockey and basketball. The hockey conference he put his chips on at the time just went south, and the Summit is crumbling around him. Heck, I'd say Omaha places quite a bit of emphasis on baseball as well. Home of the College World Series isn't it? Is the Summit a good place to park a baseball team? Nope.................

Laugh at the WAC all you want, Omaha fits the the bill quite nicely. Commuter school, urban location, no football, current member of a league that is in flux.....................

FU spent a year trying to convince the entire NCC to move up en masse so that they wouldn't have to hunt for DI conference affiliation. Let's not pretend that they offered some sort of act of good will toward certain former members of the NCC as you imply, because it simply is not true.

Waiting another year is not good will? Spin it all you want it was the right move but your AD didn't realize it. PS: your wrong about the en mass move for the NCC - you were never going to get the lower half to go DI.

Waiting another year is not good will? Spin it all you want it was the right move but your AD didn't realize it. PS: your wrong about the en mass move for the NCC - you were never going to get the lower half to go DI.

So when did the FCS study start for NDSU? Their transition started in 2003 when UND was going for its second national title in 3 years...why would they leave? There was NO Great West when UNC left so if everyone left with them we would have been all independants for at least 2 seasons. Not want you want to do when you have a new building at the height of attendance, and you are on top of the division. Kinda why Gene Taylor doesn't want to move to the FBS with NDSU at the height of attendance and on top of the division. You pull a Western Kentucky or go 5-7 or 6-6 and miss a (although crappy) bowl game and people won't have the same excitement they do now. (Gene Taylor said that on The Fan yesterday).

Links to GT's comments:

http://pro.kvox-am.tritonflex.com/upload/5-9-13genept1.mp3 Part 1

http://pro.kvox-am.tritonflex.com/upload/5-9-13genept2.mp3 Part 2

(Thanks to IBleedYellow as he posted these links on AGS)

Dan, Stu had a dream... http://stuviews.tumb...ost/50031635302

Of course, North Dakota State is not happy about this, because the Bison believe they should be playing Alabama in the SEC and don’t like the idea of the Summit being watered down by unsavory Division II schools.

But the folks in Fargo are sensible enough to see that keeping the Dakota schools together gives those institutions strength and leverage (something that North Dakota was not smart enough to see, but that’s more of a nightmare than a dream).

The Bison are further convinced to stay on board when UND pulls out of its ill-advised Big Sky membership and joins the new-era NCC, reviving a natural rivalry with NDSU in exchange for an invitation to join Missouri Valley Football.

The D-I NCC with Augie.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25594-Summit-Expansion/page24

DePereBisonfan:

Good points. In fact I believe Oakland was added when it made its transition to DI. Perhaps our conference can be the sought after upper midwest conference for athletics in transition, and then eventually reach a core number of geographic allies.

Kinda sounds like the conference we left....oh yeah THE GREAT WEST!! Its nice to see a Bison fan with a vison for the future.

http://www.bisonvill...xpansion/page24

DePereBisonfan:

Kinda sounds like the conference we left....oh yeah THE GREAT WEST!! Its nice to see a Bison fan with a vison for the future.

you neglected the point at the end where he said reach a core number of schools. I'd be fine with that. I'd still rather NDSU get into the Horizon but hey, whatever gets our teams to the postseason is fine by me.

you neglected the point at the end where he said reach a core number of schools. I'd be fine with that. I'd still rather NDSU get into the Horizon but hey, whatever gets our teams to the postseason is fine by me.

Not if they are still transitioning. You get a bunch of Augy's and you can't count them as a member until their transition years are over. Same with Omaha today.

It always perplexes me how Sioux Falls media types apparently expected UND to leave football on an island, and join the Summit a few years back, all for the sake of putting the band back together...

First thing I thought when I read the article as well.