SiouxSports.com Forum

What conference will the other Dakotas be in 2015?

SiouxVolley

Where do the other Dakotas go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the other Dakotas go?

• Summit League will survive
    • Merge with the Horizon Leauge
    • The MVC will take pity on them and save the MVFC
    • Big Sky will take them in
    • The WAC will add them
    • Somewhere else. (make comments)
    • Independents except football

The SU's may praise Douple for getting DU to join, but......

http://milehighsports.com/2012/11/26/denver-pioneers-hoops-moving-to-summit-league/

The move likely comes as a result of the Western Athletic Conference’s (WAC) current troubles, including the loss of football earlier this year. The WAC has seen declining membership and brought in Denver to try and help attempt to save the conference, but more departures have the WAC in serious trouble of staying alive altogether. DU only moved to the WAC in 2012 after playing in the Sun Belt the year before.

But the move to the Summit could be considered a step down for DU, particularly in terms of its men’s basketball department. Despite improved play from Joe Scott’s squad in recent years, the Pioneers will be moving to a conference that hasn’t had a team advance past the first round of the NCAA tournament since 1998.

If DU didn't like the WAC because of declining membership they for sure is not going to like the Summit League. I can't see DU lasting more than 1 season in the SL.

http://milehighsport...-summit-league/

If DU didn't like the WAC because of declining membership they for sure is not going to like the Summit League. I can't see DU lasting more than 1 season in the SL.

I'll bet they last more than one season.

Yup.

NDSU beat Colorado State and they brag and brag about wins over FBS programs in transition. Yeah, they really hurt CSU...

new-stadium-drawing.jpg

Oh, wait. CSU is getting a new 43,000+ seat stadium on campus... Their coach has a recruiting class that is heads and tails above schools like NDSU:

http://www.denverpost.com/csu/ci_22534265/colorado-state-signs-24-mcelwains-second-recruiting-class

Yeah...they sure hurt Colorado State...didn't they? :lol:

Everybody knows that CSU is Mountain West in football. With Boise State (staying..), San Diego State (staying) and the others...hey, things look good. It's nice to be in one conference for football AND basketball. Lessons the confusion over the conferences that NDSU must be in...(Can't remember...is it the Mountain Valley Base Camp Conference in basketball...or football?0

Well, all know is that UND is in one well known FCS conference in football and basketball, the Big Sky! CSU and Wyoming...Mountain West Conference! I get to see them all right here in northern Colorado!

Yup.

NDSU beat Colorado State and they brag and brag about wins over FBS programs in transition. Yeah, they really hurt CSU...

new-stadium-drawing.jpg

Oh, wait. CSU is getting a new 43,000+ seat stadium on campus... Their coach has a recruiting class that is heads and tails above schools like NDSU:

http://www.denverpos...ecruiting-class

Yeah...they sure hurt Colorado State...didn't they? :lol:

Everybody knows that CSU is Mountain West in football. With Boise State (staying..), San Diego State (staying) and the others...hey, things look good. It's nice to be in one conference for football AND basketball. Lessons the confusion over the conferences that NDSU must be in...(Can't remember...is it the Mountain Valley Base Camp Conference in basketball...or football?0

Well, all know is that UND is in one well known FCS conference in football and basketball, the Big Sky! CSU and Wyoming...Mountain West Conference! I get to see them all right here in northern Colorado!

Sweet deal for that football stadium.

Don't know anyone who claimed NDSU "hurt" Colorado State anywhere except on the football field. Though tell me more about how wonderful the Big Sky is. Did UND get some big attendance bumps in football this past season...you know, with this Big Sky competition coming to town and what not?

Don't know anyone who claimed NDSU "hurt" Colorado State anywhere except on the football field. Though tell me more about how wonderful the Big Sky is. Did UND get some big attendance bumps in football this past season...you know, with this Big Sky competition coming to town and what not?

It is so nice that you are always concerned about UND. Has the Summit found another school to fill the gaping hole yet so it doesn't lose autobids in baseball and basketball?
  • Upvote 2

Actually UND's attendance did increase with BSC play.

http://milehighsport...-summit-league/

I'll bet they last more than one season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Denver lasts a couple, three years or so in the Summit. They are no different than any other Summit member: biding their time until a better offer comes along.................................

The deadline for a DII school to receive an offer from a DI conference and apply to transition to DI is June 1st.

Effectively, unless the Summit can invite existing DI teams from other conferences (like Chicago St), it will need to show that it can add DII schools to have a long-term hope of survival.

Will any regional DII teams take the bite? So far, there hasn't been any indication in the press that any DII schools are even considering it.

Maybe some DII schools are interested, but they just don't want to take the risk with the Summit League.

The only two new DII moveups so far are Grand Canyon and UMass-Lowell.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Who’s next? That’s the big riddle as to who Tom Douple has his eyes on. He told Jeff and I on the old Saturday Sports Show (remember those great days) then they were looking at several schools and mentioned St. Cloud State by name. We thought it seemed crazy at the time; but the top end Northern Sun schools may not be all that crazy. The Nebraska-Omaha model may be one to follow for someone like SCSU or MSU Mankato; each schools have D-1 hockey and may need to drop football to make a full Division 1 transition. SCSU already had its football on life support; now granted to have two teams at the same time in the D-1 transition is not optimal (UNO won’t be fully eligible until 2015) but if its about saving the automatic qualifier status; all options must be looked at.

Imagine the new SL:

NDSU (football school)

SDSU (basketball school)

IPFW

IUPUI

USD

WIU

DU (hockey school but big budget)

UNO (hockey school)

SCSU (hockey school)

MSU-Mankato (hockey school)

Didn't Bison fans brag about RPI? Not with some of those schools, plus how does bringing in 2 more DII teams help the AQ status that is just about gone. Douple should have been thinking of this day when SUU, Centenary, and Oral Roberts left.

Imagine the new SL:

NDSU (football school)

SDSU (basketball school)

IPFW

IUPUI

USD

WIU

UNO (hockey school)

SCSU (hockey school)

Didn't Bison fans brag about RPI? Not with some of those schools, plus how does bringing in 2 more DII teams help the AQ status that is just about gone. Douple should have been thinking of this day when SUU, Centenary, and Oral Roberts left.

I think that if any Minnesota DII public school had an interest in DI, they would be having a public discussion in the media (much like all the Dakota schools did prior to announcing). None of St Cloud St, Mankato, or Duluth have been doing that. Moreover, they would have to get an OK from the Minnesota State system much like Moorhead St needed and didn't get for a DI hockey program.

Imagine the new SL:

NDSU (football school)

SDSU (basketball school)

IPFW

IUPUI

USD

WIU

UNO (hockey school)

SCSU (hockey school)

I hear you talk about RPI more than anyone else. If SCSU and Mankato came, I'd have no problem with that.

I think that if any Minnesota DII public school had an interest in DI, they would be having a public discussion in the media (much like all the Dakota schools did prior to announcing). None of St Cloud St, Mankato, or Duluth have been doing that. Moreover, they would have to get an OK from the Minnesota State system much like Moorhead St needed and didn't get for a DI hockey program.

I read this comment and it sounds interesting:

Bison Jeff on May 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

said:

I have heard from more than one person that Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth and Bemidji all are considering dumping football. Those schools want to dump the cost of football and the title 9 problems it causes. I talked to a guy who has been to many Duluth football and hockey games and he said that even with their two titles in Football the people there don’t care about football, they love hockey. The guy wasn’t sure if Bemidji State would try to follow the other three schools to D-I across the board. I wonder if the Dragons would give up on football to get D-I hockey going? Or do they stay in football thinking there would be more good football players available with those four schools dropping the sport? I have nothing against the Minnesota schools going D-I. I just think that it would be great if the Bison could eventually play in a conference that carried all sports across the board. I just feel that the Missouri Valley would be the ultimate place for the Bison and the four other Dakota schools. The next few years will be interesting in the very least when it comes to conference realignment. Go Bison!

Could you imagine Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, Bemidji and even Moorhead State joining the SL? I think some die hard Bison fans would be begging all conferences (even the Big Sky) to let them in.

I hear you talk about RPI more than anyone else. If SCSU and Mankato came, I'd have no problem with that.

When do I talk about RPI? Unless its Bison fans throwing that (along with Sagarin ratings) in UND's face. In a one bid conference (which the Big Sky and SL are) RPI's don't mean much.

When do I talk about RPI? Unless its Bison fans throwing that (along with Sagarin ratings) in UND's face. In a one bid conference (which the Big Sky and SL are) RPI's don't mean much.

It's mean's a ton as good teams don't want to play teams with large RPI's as it hurts theirs and also seeding in the dance.

It's mean's a ton as good teams don't want to play teams with large RPI's as it hurts theirs and also seeding in the dance.

Summit= Big Sky, you are going for one spot either a 12-14 seed, it's not like we are getting a #1 seed. I use it to measure up to teams we are playing or in the conference, I don't compare UND to the likes of a Kansas or Duke like NDSU does to Alabama in football ;)

• Upvote 1

Summit= Big Sky, you are going for one spot either a 12-14 seed, it's not like we are getting a #1 seed. I use it to measure up to teams we are playing or in the conference, I don't compare UND to the likes of a Kansas or Duke like NDSU does to Alabama in football ;)

As usual you're clueless.

You are ranked #57 in the Sagarin rankings of cluelessness. Hey, it's better than my #52 ranking!

It should be higher since I go up against the top 5 clueless people like BisonDan, Johnboy and other Bison clueless.

It should be higher since I go up against the top 5 clueless people like BisonDan, Johnboy and other Bison clueless.

That'll bump you up! Hey, did you know that this coming season Colorado State University plays the Division I champions in football. That's right, they play the Alabama Crimson Tide!

How many teams passed over the AC for a spot in the NIT? Yep, rpi matters though.

If Saul came to the realization of just how little rpi matters, then why can't we?

http://www.wday.com/...ticle/id/77122/

RPI matters a lot....NDSU didn't have have enough wins vs schools with top 100/top 50 RPIs.

Honestly from an RPI perspective the Summit and Big Sky are the same...neither conference provides enough opportunities to get quality wins that a team needs for an at-large NCAA tournament or NIT spot. A school like NDSU or UND would have to earn that almost entirely in non-conference play.